Welcome to Autoworld Forum !

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Close
Photo

Racechip Tuning Box

• Please log in to reply

tiganasfx

Posted 13 May 2011 - 09:09 AM

tiganasfx

Taxi Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 305 posts
QUOTE (mavicarus @ May 11 2011, 09:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Stage 1 does quite a fair bit more than just boost the level. Also the APR remap provided quite a number of other goodies such as Ron95 maps, Ron97 maps, stock map, and the security lockout code. Each map changes the air fuel ratio according to the octane level of the petrols pumped.

Does it switch maps automatically like stock via the knock sensor or do you have to switch the maps manually? Can PM me the costs of the APR map? Thanks.

Also i will take your offer for a test drive on your golf smile_approve.gif

ckcspice

Posted 14 May 2011 - 08:57 PM

ckcspice

Taxi Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 279 posts
i had the APR stage 1 map for 2 wks...1 word....awesome.....but i m have reverted bak to stock 2day n asked for a refund, as i m worried about warranty issues cos my car is only 1 month old...anyway give it a few months, i will very well remap my car again...maybe try revo or others....the power n torque gains r significant....when u go light footed FC is actually very good as well...for those who are not concerned about warranty or durability issues, this is indeed the way to go...n the service from the APR guys is top notch....

QUOTE (tiganasfx @ May 13 2011, 09:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Does it switch maps automatically like stock via the knock sensor or do you have to switch the maps manually? Can PM me the costs of the APR map? Thanks.

Also i will take your offer for a test drive on your golf smile_approve.gif

tazztham

Posted 19 May 2011 - 11:16 PM

tazztham

Fast & Furious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,632 posts
hi guys,

i just did a quick DynoDynamic run on a Golf Mk6 GTI with RaceChip Pro today. Results are as follow.

GTI Spec on flywheel: 208HP with 280Nm

All on-wheel readings:

Std:
180HP with 245Nm - based on these value, DSG lost about 13.5%

RaceChip:
193HP with 264Nm

If based on 13% DSG lost, the power at engine flywheel will be 223Hp and 302Nm. The good thing is hp curve & torque curve shift up about 2750RPM. so the 'usable' power increase is there.

also, a yellow Polo 1.2 owner is very happy running with RaceChip. by the way, Polo is really a jewel. impressive with that tiny 1.2 TSI with bunch of torque. VW way to go!!!

tazztham

Puntonian

Posted 20 May 2011 - 11:32 AM

Puntonian

Road Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 512 posts
QUOTE (tazztham @ May 19 2011, 11:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
hi guys,

i just did a quick DynoDynamic run on a Golf Mk6 GTI with RaceChip Pro today. Results are as follow.

GTI Spec on flywheel: 208HP with 280Nm

All on-wheel readings:

Std:
180HP with 245Nm - based on these value, DSG lost about 13.5%

RaceChip:
193HP with 264Nm

If based on 13% DSG lost, the power at engine flywheel will be 223Hp and 302Nm. The good thing is hp curve & torque curve shift up about 2750RPM. so the 'usable' power increase is there.

also, a yellow Polo 1.2 owner is very happy running with RaceChip. by the way, Polo is really a jewel. impressive with that tiny 1.2 TSI with bunch of torque. VW way to go!!!

Good to see dyno numbers out of the RaceChip box. However, with all due respect, I gotta say that 223bhp over 208bhp is not impressive enough to justify the price of having the RaceChip in the car, considering that a stage 1 remap, any brand, brings out relatively more bhp albeit at a higher price (stage 1 on the GTI brings out at least 240bhp or higher).

Still, aside from a remap, RaceChip being an easy PnP device, brings out more performance than an exhaust mod for example.

br1

Posted 20 May 2011 - 12:01 PM

br1

Tokyo Drifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,825 posts
QUOTE (Puntonian @ May 20 2011, 11:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Good to see dyno numbers out of the RaceChip box. However, with all due respect, I gotta say that 223bhp over 208bhp is not impressive enough to justify the price of having the RaceChip in the car, considering that a stage 1 remap, any brand, brings out relatively more bhp albeit at a higher price (stage 1 on the GTI brings out at least 240bhp or higher).

Still, aside from a remap, RaceChip being an easy PnP device, brings out more performance than an exhaust mod for example.

ya, just 6% different will not felt the difference at all on the high end , what is most required is the low and mid end power and torque must be responsive to get the real feels.

How about the TSi? Any new developement?

tazztham

Posted 20 May 2011 - 09:35 PM

tazztham

Fast & Furious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,632 posts
QUOTE (br1 @ May 20 2011, 12:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
ya, just 6% different will not felt the difference at all on the high end , what is most required is the low and mid end power and torque must be responsive to get the real feels.

How about the TSi? Any new developement?

Yeah, seems like it is about 7% improvement with RaceChip Pro or equal to ~13 wheelhp and ~20 wheelNm. I think it is usage 'power' through out the rpm range and not only at peak.

here is the dyno chart. take note that it is in Ft.Lb. the improvement is overall the RPM range which is good to 'feel'.

i heard about APR stage 1 on dyno is not close to what they claim on website at all. that is why i like to see an actual dyno with APR Stage 1 on a GTI. i am very objective here, no doubt tuning box should not be as good as remap but i like to compare how far off it is or very similar. if you google APR Stage 1 dyno chart, some of the owner also feel disappointed and not meeting what the website put up.

the only advantage of a tuning box is your warranty maintained.

tazztham

mavicarus

Posted 20 May 2011 - 11:00 PM

mavicarus

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 116 posts
QUOTE (tazztham @ May 20 2011, 09:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yeah, seems like it is about 7% improvement with RaceChip Pro or equal to ~13 wheelhp and ~20 wheelNm. I think it is usage 'power' through out the rpm range and not only at peak.

here is the dyno chart. take note that it is in Ft.Lb. the improvement is overall the RPM range which is good to 'feel'.

i heard about APR stage 1 on dyno is not close to what they claim on website at all. that is why i like to see an actual dyno with APR Stage 1 on a GTI. i am very objective here, no doubt tuning box should not be as good as remap but i like to compare how far off it is or very similar. if you google APR Stage 1 dyno chart, some of the owner also feel disappointed and not meeting what the website put up.

Yup because the HP gains in their website states using Ron98 petrol which we can't get it here in Malaysia. The Ron95 figures are lower.

VWGTI

Posted 22 May 2011 - 12:02 AM

VWGTI

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 220 posts

Guys warranty is gone once you remap, no matter what tune you are in and VW could check if they want to they built the cars. Some tuners will tell you that VW will not find out etc but they can if they want to, so there is no free ride yah...
The Original GTi

pat1988

Posted 22 May 2011 - 01:32 PM

pat1988

Fast & Furious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,118 posts

Can you tell us if exhaust temperature is maintained at high rpm with race chip?

If so, assuming it will run slightly richer than original, will more maintenance be required with spark plugs and oxygen sensors? I think oxygen sensors are quite expensive to replace, right? smile_question.gif

tazztham

Posted 24 May 2011 - 10:59 AM

tazztham

Fast & Furious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,632 posts
hi,

regarding the exhaust temperature, we did not monitor during dyno. the RaceChip is not about putting more fuel in command but boost pressure more like it. If you increase the boost pressure at different RPM range, the original ECU will react to the rest of the parameters like timing, fuel amount/interval to match with the air being pumped into the engine.

exhaust temperature will only goes up if engine running too lean and not rich. therefore, more turbo car was tuned to air fuel ratio of around 12 during full throttle to avoid over heat and detonation/knocking.

tazztham