Welcome to Autoworld Forum !

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Close
Photo

Altis 1.8 Vs Golf 1.4

• Please log in to reply

Langdon

Posted 17 April 2011 - 10:29 AM

Langdon

Advanced

• Members
  • Pip
  • 62 posts
Today while driving an Altis 1.8 I managed to outrun one of the new Golf Tsi at the traffic lights.

Was approaching a white Golf at the lights and there was no car in front so I decided to see how the altis compares to the Golf.

Anyway I was pleasantly surprised that I managed to make the Golf driver smell my exhaust fumes.

I know everyone is going to say that it is unfair as the Golf only has a small 1.4 engine and probably heavier body but the car cost an awful lot for small car with a small engine.

By the way the Altis 1.8 is unmodded stock engine...

Justicebao

Posted 17 April 2011 - 10:59 AM

Justicebao

White Lightning

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,604 posts
huh?! The Golf will eat your Altis like sayur anytime.....Even the Polo 1.2L can eat your Altis like sayur
Please join the Toyota facebook group --> HERE

mikasa

Posted 17 April 2011 - 11:40 AM

mikasa

Taxi Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 283 posts
Golf Tsi just only cruising ...not yet a full throttle ..

wanida

Posted 17 April 2011 - 11:55 AM

wanida

Fast & Furious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,574 posts
QUOTE (Justicebao @ Apr 17 2011, 10:59 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
huh?! The Golf will eat your Altis like sayur anytime.....Even the Polo 1.2L can eat your Altis like sayur

and with turbocharged as well.. smile_thumbup.gif dun play2, maybe the golf owner only cruising around warming up its weekend baby.. smile_tongue.gif

ongwc5

Posted 17 April 2011 - 02:36 PM

ongwc5

Taxi Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 497 posts
QUOTE (Langdon @ Apr 17 2011, 10:29 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Today while driving an Altis 1.8 I managed to outrun one of the new Golf Tsi at the traffic lights.

Was approaching a white Golf at the lights and there was no car in front so I decided to see how the altis compares to the Golf.

Anyway I was pleasantly surprised that I managed to make the Golf driver smell my exhaust fumes.

I know everyone is going to say that it is unfair as the Golf only has a small 1.4 engine and probably heavier body but the car cost an awful lot for small car with a small engine.

By the way the Altis 1.8 is unmodded stock engine...

Don't assumption, you should do more homework before comment here! sleep.gif

Langdon

Posted 17 April 2011 - 03:24 PM

Langdon

Advanced

• Members
  • Pip
  • 62 posts
Ok I admit if it was a GTI I would not dare challenge it is a 2L car.

As for the 1.4 will probably struggle for quite a heavy car. The Altis has Intelligent Dual Variable Valve timing on both input and exhaust valves. Correct me if I'm wrong the GOLF 1.4 does not have variable valve timing.

I know that the 1.4 golf has some kind of turbo, but that is very old technology that has been around for many years. Haven't you heard of the saying "There is no replacement for displacement?" That's why gov tax higher cc cars. Makes sense right?

And don't even get me started about the 7 speed CVT gearbox.

Langdon

Posted 17 April 2011 - 03:48 PM

Langdon

Advanced

• Members
  • Pip
  • 62 posts
QUOTE (Langdon @ Apr 17 2011, 03:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

As for the 1.4 will probably struggle for quite a heavy car. The Altis has Intelligent Dual Variable Valve timing on both input and exhaust valves. Correct me if I'm wrong the GOLF 1.4 does not have variable valve timing.

I know that the 1.4 golf has some kind of turbo, but that is very old technology that has been around for many years. Haven't you heard of the saying "There is no replacement for displacement?" That's why gov tax higher cc cars. Makes sense right?

To dispel all doubts

br1

Posted 17 April 2011 - 04:49 PM

br1

Tokyo Drifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,825 posts
The TSi driver is maybe is taking his leissure drive or maybe is with his baby, or driven by the owner's grand-dad or mum?

If you want to reconfirm, do another round with any TSi aagin, or even a polo TSi (but must kacau him or her) to let him or her know you wants a race or speed test.

You dont even can smell their smoke!!! TSi is supercharged & Turbo, "S" mode and DSG transmission

If you still cannot find any to test out, I can do a test with you I let you ahead 1 lamp post (100m) first and see if what you claimed is true? I do in just auto DSG gear - do not need to engage "S" mode, to easily smoke you!

If TSi is that lousy, who will ever buy it? - It is a small hatch back "little" car - that what you see, before you drive in one - go and have a test drive to check it out.

mavicarus

Posted 17 April 2011 - 04:54 PM

mavicarus

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 116 posts
QUOTE (Langdon @ Apr 17 2011, 03:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yup the Golf TSI has both a supercharger and a turbocharger. Old technology? Well I can say it is a complex technology because VW is going to phase those out because it costs too much in the long run to manufacture.

Also you need to get more facts right, its not a CVT gearbox. Its a DSG gearbox which uses dual clutches. And yes, they are problematic. Just google it and you can find more info about it.

But, while we are on the subject of Googling things, look at some Youtube videos I found.

Altis 2.0 0-100kph acceleration video (9secs)

Altis 1.8 0-100kph acceleration video (9secs)

And of course the Golf 1.4 TSI which you smoked, 0-100kph acceleration video. (6.9secs)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rL1n_ZjLM4Q
http://www.youtube.c...feature=related

Personally, I think there shouldn't be any racing on the streets and on the roads. Its not safe and we endanger the lives of others out there. If you are really keen about going off on a straight line from 0-100, Sepang is always available and there are plenty of track days to try it out.

Drive safe, let's not make the roads into our personal racing tracks.

br1

Posted 17 April 2011 - 05:10 PM

br1

Tokyo Drifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,825 posts
QUOTE (mavicarus @ Apr 17 2011, 04:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yup the Golf TSI has both a supercharger and a turbocharger. Old technology? Well I can say it is a complex technology because VW is going to phase those out because it costs too much in the long run to manufacture.

Also you need to get more facts right, its not a CVT gearbox. Its a DSG gearbox which uses dual clutches. And yes, they are problematic. Just google it and you can find more info about it.

But, while we are on the subject of Googling things, look at some Youtube videos I found.

Altis 2.0 0-100kph acceleration video (9secs)

Altis 1.8 0-100kph acceleration video (9secs)

And of course the Golf 1.4 TSI which you smoked, 0-100kph acceleration video. (6.9secs)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rL1n_ZjLM4Q
http://www.youtube.c...feature=related

Personally, I think there shouldn't be any racing on the streets and on the roads. Its not safe and we endanger the lives of others out there. If you are really keen about going off on a straight line from 0-100, Sepang is always available and there are plenty of track days to try it out.

Drive safe, let's not make the roads into our personal racing tracks.

Hi! Mavicarus,

Agreed with you! Not to speed on the road but this guy know alittle and dont know everything, about the VW 1.4Tsi,
Talking about CVT??? gearbox - what a joke? Taking about speeding only, dont know if his car have the features and stability to take the high speed stress or not?

Let him be and Let enjoy our Ride. That's why I asked him to go to test drive a VW golf 1.4 Tsi or even a Polo 1.2 Tsi is maybe enough to let himself know what he is talking here is right or wrong?