Welcome to Autoworld Forum !

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Close
Photo

Volkswagen Golf 1.4 TSI

• Please log in to reply

whitestorm

Posted 05 June 2011 - 01:11 PM

whitestorm

Taxi Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 313 posts

Nice mods. Subtle but makes a lot of difference bro. So when is the JB TT gonna happen leh?

ongwc5

Posted 05 June 2011 - 02:05 PM

ongwc5

Taxi Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 497 posts
QUOTE (whitestorm @ Jun 5 2011, 01:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Nice mods. Subtle but makes a lot of difference bro. So when is the JB TT gonna happen leh?

Wait bro pat come back from genting 1st, u also stay at J.B?

glenns

Posted 05 June 2011 - 04:17 PM

glenns

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
QUOTE (ongwc5 @ Jun 4 2011, 10:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Currently done 3M tinted, RCD510, Osir exhaust tips, OEM Vw golf sports pedals + OSIR footrest, next will be "R" light!
Rear light lamp set ready, only need to wait for wiring harness ETA by next week.
Poison to all bro!
RCD510 with chinese version.

Bro,

Where do you get the RCD 510 with chinese display?? my player only shown in block sharp character.

ongwc5

Posted 06 June 2011 - 12:39 PM

ongwc5

Taxi Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 497 posts
QUOTE (glenns @ Jun 5 2011, 04:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Bro,

Where do you get the RCD 510 with chinese display?? my player only shown in block sharp character.

http://www.vagsg.com...ead.php?t=49169

pat1988

Posted 08 June 2011 - 01:09 PM

pat1988

Fast & Furious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,118 posts
QUOTE (ongwc5 @ Jun 5 2011, 02:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Wait bro pat come back from genting 1st, u also stay at J.B?

Preliminary Genting report:- The TSI pulls up no problem. On the steep right hand bends near the top, you turn, step on it and it pulls you up like on a straight road. Absolutely no problem. Revs will be slightly higher but this car appears to like to rev. No car could keep up during my trip. Did not matter whether in S or D mode. D mode is actually good enough, no need to change to S. I did both. The torque is more than enough for this car with 2 adults, 2 kids and luggage. Even an E90 325i would not continue to chase uphill. On the downhill stretch, engine braking was available and the brakes were ok. Only additional things I would have liked are:-

1. Stiffer suspension.
2. Wider tyres.
3. Travelling without passengers (i.e. no nagging wifey).

Now, what would a GTI be like doing this trip? smile_question.gif

scenic

Posted 08 June 2011 - 02:09 PM

scenic

Tokyo Drifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,156 posts
QUOTE (pat1988 @ Jun 8 2011, 01:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Preliminary Genting report:- The TSI pulls up no problem. On the steep right hand bends near the top, you turn, step on it and it pulls you up like on a straight road. Absolutely no problem. Revs will be slightly higher but this car appears to like to rev. No car could keep up during my trip. Did not matter whether in S or D mode. D mode is actually good enough, no need to change to S. I did both. The torque is more than enough for this car with 2 adults, 2 kids and luggage. Even an E90 325i would not continue to chase uphill. On the downhill stretch, engine braking was available and the brakes were ok. Only additional things I would have liked are:-

1. Stiffer suspension.
2. Wider tyres.

After reading your post I don't think I can sleep well tonight. smile_thumbup.gif
director's choice

teeaseye

Posted 08 June 2011 - 03:11 PM

teeaseye

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 129 posts
QUOTE (pat1988 @ Jun 8 2011, 01:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

1. Stiffer suspension.
2. Wider tyres.

I've just been up to Genting recently with 4 adults (incl driver). I second what you say. I feel leaving it in D is all that is needed. No Sports mode required at all. All other cars will be left behind, doesn't matter whether they are in front coz they will be behind u in a short time. smile_tongue.gif

Sometimes there will be the persistent ones in bigger cars that try to keep up. I find that in all cases, once I use the gearstick to manually shift, none can keep up - the DSG shifts up lightning quick. However, not so nice using paddle shifts up the hill, coz of the frequent steering wheel twirling. Paddles I feel are more for highways or less twisty roads.

225/45 R17 will solve no.2 and no.1 to a certain extend. I'm already on this spec. I wonder if the GTI's springs and shocks fit the TSI ?? Yes, it helps a whole lot if there is no 'speed-limiter' inside the car. smile_tongue.gif

I noticed the oil temp goes to anywhere between 110-120 C once reach the peak if u tend to drive enthusiastically, where on normal roads it will hover between 90 to <100 C.

Also, the brakes can do with better modulation and linearity to improve braking confidence altho it is by no means weak as it bites hard once u're on it.

Makes me wonder when I should use the Sports mode when 99.9% of the time normal D, paddle or gearstick will do. smile_tongue.gif

scenic

Posted 08 June 2011 - 03:13 PM

scenic

Tokyo Drifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,156 posts
QUOTE (teeaseye @ Jun 8 2011, 03:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I noticed the oil temp goes to anywhere between 110-120 C once reach the peak if u tend to drive enthusiastically, where on normal roads it will hover between 90 to <100 C.

Makes me wonder when I should use the Sports mode when 99.9% of the time normal D, paddle or gearstick will do. smile_tongue.gif

Bro,
Does that mean it is heating up ? Is there an oil cooler in there ? How tall are the adults that you carried with ? Cheers.
director's choice

teeaseye

Posted 08 June 2011 - 03:20 PM

teeaseye

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 129 posts
QUOTE (scenic @ Jun 8 2011, 03:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Bro,
Does that mean it is heating up ? Is there an oil cooler in there ? Cheers.

No, it doesn't mean that it is heating up, but as always, if u drive enthusiastically, definitely the engine will generate more heat, hence the higher engine oil temp. Nothing to worry about. I'm not sure what is the threshold of engine over-heating, but I know it's definitely way higher than 110 or 120 C.

Once u start to coast, or stationery, the oil temp will drop quite quickly back to < 100 C and then back to around 90 C after a while of relaxed driving.

Not sure if there is an oil cooler in this car. One of the adults is 5' 9" sitting at the back. No complains from him or the other passengers.

scenic

Posted 08 June 2011 - 03:35 PM

scenic

Tokyo Drifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,156 posts
QUOTE (teeaseye @ Jun 8 2011, 03:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No, it doesn't mean that it is heating up, but as always, if u drive enthusiastically, definitely the engine will generate more heat, hence the higher engine oil temp. Nothing to worry about. I'm not sure what is the threshold of engine over-heating, but I know it's definitely way higher than 110 or 120 C.

Once u start to coast, or stationery, the oil temp will drop quite quickly back to < 100 C and then back to around 90 C after a while of relaxed driving.

Not sure if there is an oil cooler in this car. One of the adults is 5' 9" sitting at the back. No complains from him or the other passengers.

Bro teeaseye,
I appreciate your feedback and for answering my enquiries about this car. Guess I am more convince of this car now. What was your previous ride before this TSi ? Thanks.
director's choice