Welcome to Autoworld Forum !

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Close
Photo

Beware Of Suspected Scam

• Please log in to reply

Jaime

Posted 09 February 2010 - 04:25 PM

Jaime

Fast & Furious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,750 posts
Beware of Scam Postings
http://www.autoworld...d=RT.ATC.CAR.FS

To add on, please also inspect the background of the picture - we noticed that some car pics are taken from a very Europeann background - ie car is in some Europe country.

And here is some sample message/encounter on another suspect.

hi ,
a few months ago i worked in malaysia and i bought the car from there . now i moved with my job and my family in united kingdom and i took the car with me . it was a good oportunity for me considering the fact that in uk the steering wheel is on the right side too and that is why i took the car here . but after installing myself to my new job here , i received as bonus an british car which is already registered and i decided to sell the other . i realised that the best way to sell it for sure and fast was to sell it back in malaysia . please notice that the car is in perfect condition , no accidents , no scratches , very well maintained , all services made in time . if you are really interested to buy the car please let me know and i will tell you how we can finalise the deal .
thanks

-------------------

If you see any of them in Autoworld Used Car Section, we appreaciate if you could notify us immediately via email to support@autoworld.com.my.

Thank you.
Regards,
Jaime @ AW

V406198

Posted 09 February 2010 - 05:57 PM

V406198

Fast & Furious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,151 posts
QUOTE (Jaime @ Feb 9 2010, 04:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Beware of Scam Postings
http://www.autoworld...d=RT.ATC.CAR.FS

To add on, please also inspect the background of the picture - we noticed that some car pics are taken from a very Europeann background - ie car is in some Europe country.

And here is some sample message/encounter on another suspect.

hi ,
a few months ago i worked in malaysia and i bought the car from there . now i moved with my job and my family in united kingdom and i took the car with me . it was a good oportunity for me considering the fact that in uk the steering wheel is on the right side too and that is why i took the car here . but after installing myself to my new job here , i received as bonus an british car which is already registered and i decided to sell the other . i realised that the best way to sell it for sure and fast was to sell it back in malaysia . please notice that the car is in perfect condition , no accidents , no scratches , very well maintained , all services made in time . if you are really interested to buy the car please let me know and i will tell you how we can finalise the deal .
thanks

-------------------

If you see any of them in Autoworld Used Car Section, we appreaciate if you could notify us immediately via email to support@autoworld.com.my.

Thank you.

I think i also run in to one of their scam as about 3 weeks ago..as i saw a latest model S40 2.4i was advertised in AW for rm76K from a seller in KL but the attached photo shown the car specification are from UK so i send a email for clarification....until today only i got the replied from seller with the same as your posted......

hi ,
thanks

> From: support@autoworld.com.my
> Subject: Enquiry About Listing Volvo S40 24i se 06 (MYA2125
> To: leoserg@hotmail.com
> Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2010 15:41:44 +0000
>
>
>
> Listing Details
> --------------------------------------------------
> Seller ID : leoserg
> Company : []
> Listing ID : MYA212598
> Listing URL : http://www.autoworld...p?LID=MYA212598
> Title : Volvo S40 24i se 06
> Plate Number : -
> Seller's Fax :
> Seller's Tel : -
> Quantity : 1
> Price : 76000
> Item Location : Kuala Lumpur
>
> Enquirer Information
> Name : richard
> Email
> Mobile : -
>
> Enquiry's Details
> hi, interested on your selling of S40 2.4I, and wonder still available ? if yes, then need to clarify few thing with you.
>
> your car interior & exterior paint colour look very different from local version, wonder is this a private AP oversea car ?
>
> if yes, wonder from which country you brought it from ? and is it with completed service records ?
>
> Thank you
>
> Richard
>
>
>
> P.S This email was sent using www.autoworld.com.my ***
>
> P.S This email was sent from this IP address [202.184.139.227] ***
2004 S60R. AT. Tit Grey. Nordkap. 18" Pegs. TME SportCat Exhaust DP & Cat Back System. TME Lower Spring. Garrett GT3071R. RC 750cc Injectors. FMIC. K&N Filter. Pegasus 3" CAI. IPD HD TCV. IPD HD Ignition Coil, IPD 25mm Front Sway Bar. UR Custom 23mm Rear Sway Bar. UR Front & Rear Strut Bars. Stainless Steel Brake Hoses. Audi TT DV, Saab 900 ATF Cooler. TkiMotorSportRacing & IPD HD Link Rod. H&R 5mm Front Wheel Spacer. Endless Sport 0-400 Front Brake Pad. ScangaugeII Diagnostic Gauge. Stages 2 Snow Performance methanol Injection.

Jaime

Posted 09 February 2010 - 07:17 PM

Jaime

Fast & Furious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,750 posts
Thanks for the feedback. The ads has already been closed. That is one of the ads we suspect too.

Same issue has been discussed in lowyat too.

Regards,
Jaime @ AW

Jaime

Posted 19 February 2010 - 10:58 AM

Jaime

Fast & Furious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,750 posts
More info and reference here:

http://forum.aa419.o...f035fb1a166ee3a
http://forum.lowyat.net/topic/1213479
A translated website by google: http://translate.goo...h...BRUMA&hl=en

Please beware and do NOT transfer any money:
- Before seeing REAL documents
- Before seeing the car
- Before talking and having real phone number

Also take note that Importing of cars into Malaysia need Approved Permit. All documents has to be submitted to MITI for application and even if the really car arrives in the port, without this permit, you cannot claim the car.
Regards,
Jaime @ AW

TheGunner

Posted 19 February 2010 - 11:56 AM

TheGunner

Knight Rider

• Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,953 posts
We suggest that you decline any transactions for cars claimed to be stocked overseas. Even the car still has Malaysian registration papers, getting it past our customs is simply too much hassle. Nobody goes through that kind of hassle to sell a car, and at a reduced price, no less.
The Gunner

Proud to be a Gunner

TheGunner

Posted 24 September 2010 - 05:25 PM

TheGunner

Knight Rider

• Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,953 posts
Symantec today sent us a press release on reported phishing attacks on US & UK automotive websites. We have reproduced it here for your reading pleasure: Internet threats in the Automotive Industry
The Gunner

Proud to be a Gunner

pih2

Posted 20 January 2011 - 10:02 PM

pih2

Driver

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts
All I read about the scam here is selling car which the car is not within Malaysia, but the problem I have now is the buyer want to buy the car from me which he is not from/in Malaysia, will this be scam? I trace through the IP logged, is belong to US. Here is the email between us:-

Thanks for your response, I am quite okay with your price, I need you
to understand that I am willing and ready to purchase it right away,
put it off the AD site, consider me as your favorite buyer, and Please
note that I have a shipper/mover who handles my shipping arrangement
anywhere in the world,he would be coming for the pickup, after you
have received payment, which would be through paypal, If this is
acceptable, advice soon as I am an hydrographer and I am buying this
for my Brother in-law,I am at work right now .I can only pay through
pay pal at the moment as I do not have access to my bank account
online,but I have it attached to my pay pal account, and this is why I
insisted on using pay pal to pay,all I will need is your pay pal email
address to make the payments,and if you do not have a pay pal account
yet,its pretty easy to set one up at www.paypal.com ,i will be
expecting your email.I have a pick up agent that will come for the
pick up after payments has been sorted.

I want you to provide me with the following information for me to proceed
with the Payment...

Your PayPal e-Mail Address :
Full name:

Please give an advice did you see any similiar scam to this? By the way, I'll insist to meet in person before agree to trade.

Thanks.

r3xt0n

Posted 20 January 2011 - 10:10 PM

r3xt0n

White Lightning

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,148 posts
QUOTE (pih2 @ Jan 20 2011, 10:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
All I read about the scam here is selling car which the car is not within Malaysia, but the problem I have now is the buyer want to buy the car from me which he is not from/in Malaysia, will this be scam? I trace through the IP logged, is belong to US. Here is the email between us:-

Thanks for your response, I am quite okay with your price, I need you
to understand that I am willing and ready to purchase it right away,
put it off the AD site, consider me as your favorite buyer, and Please
note that I have a shipper/mover who handles my shipping arrangement
anywhere in the world,he would be coming for the pickup, after you
have received payment, which would be through paypal, If this is
acceptable, advice soon as I am an hydrographer and I am buying this
for my Brother in-law,I am at work right now .I can only pay through
pay pal at the moment as I do not have access to my bank account
online,but I have it attached to my pay pal account, and this is why I
insisted on using pay pal to pay,all I will need is your pay pal email
address to make the payments,and if you do not have a pay pal account
yet,its pretty easy to set one up at www.paypal.com ,i will be
expecting your email.I have a pick up agent that will come for the
pick up after payments has been sorted.

I want you to provide me with the following information for me to proceed
with the Payment...

Your PayPal e-Mail Address :
Full name:

Please give an advice did you see any similiar scam to this? By the way, I'll insist to meet in person before agree to trade.

Thanks.

There are many phish paypal account that hackers/phishers could access illegitimately. Whatever amount transferred to your paypal account could be reverted when the real owner dispute it. Value transferred within paypal acconts should not be considered as cash transacted until the fund are withdrawed from your bank account and you have cash it out. There are known cases where Paypal manage to charge the refund to the bank account and withdraw it. Then you will lose the car and fund.

When it sounds too good to be true, it is never true. Why would a foreigner buy a car and ship to him when cars in his own country could be several times lower? These kind of scams are more common for electronic items, phones, laptop, etc.. where the owners are mostly youngsters who are naive, less caution and the amount is less concerning.

vr2turbo

Posted 20 January 2011 - 10:32 PM

vr2turbo

Forum Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 71,443 posts
QUOTE (r3xt0n @ Jan 20 2011, 10:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
There are many phish paypal account that hackers/phishers could access illegitimately. Whatever amount transferred to your paypal account could be reverted when the real owner dispute it. Value transferred within paypal acconts should not be considered as cash transacted until the fund are withdrawed from your bank account and you have cash it out. There are known cases where Paypal manage to charge the refund to the bank account and withdraw it. Then you will lose the car and fund.

When it sounds too good to be true, it is never true. Why would a foreigner buy a car and ship to him when cars in his own country could be several times lower? These kind of scams are more common for electronic items, phones, laptop, etc.. where the owners are mostly youngsters who are naive, less caution and the amount is less concerning.

Good info..... smile_thumbup.gif

ntc2000

Posted 21 January 2011 - 12:01 AM

ntc2000

Knight Rider

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,286 posts
u just insist say u dont have paypal, ask them use western union....

i play a game and win USD250 before, they use western union to transfer $$$ to me even though i have paypal account. Last time cant withdraw from paypal in malaysia, nearest paypal hub is singapore...