Welcome to Autoworld Forum !

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Close
Photo

Disc Skimming---is It Really Neccessary?

• Please log in to reply

bOROi

Posted 09 November 2009 - 11:08 AM

bOROi

Fast & Furious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,173 posts
Dear Sifus,

I overlooked the status of my car brake pads to the extent that the pads wereso thin that the metal part of the pad touched on the rotors and as a result the rotor surface became uneven. I have since replaced the pads with new ones, but now when I brake at high speed the steering wheels vibrate....this I believe because of the uneven brake rotor surface with only part of the pad touching the rotor surface due to the uneven rotor surface. Skimming the rotor would solve this vibrating and juddering problem...I have done it before.

My question is this..... I am thinking why should I skim and thin the rotor, shorthening its life span. maybe I should let the new brake pads keep on gripping....although got vibration...but sooner or later the pads will adjust to the uneven rotor surface to the extent that all parts of the brake pads will be in contact with all parts of the rotor, although both surfaces will not be smooth, but the vibration and shuddering should cease. Am I right?

Whats your advice sifus?????

Rgds
Myah United Rules!!!!

vr2turbo

Posted 09 November 2009 - 11:16 AM

vr2turbo

Forum Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 71,491 posts
QUOTE (bOROi @ Nov 9 2009, 11:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Dear Sifus,

I overlooked the status of my car brake pads to the extent that the pads wereso thin that the metal part of the pad touched on the rotors and as a result the rotor surface became uneven. I have since replaced the pads with new ones, but now when I brake at high speed the steering wheels vibrate....this I believe because of the uneven brake rotor surface with only part of the pad touching the rotor surface due to the uneven rotor surface. Skimming the rotor would solve this vibrating and juddering problem...I have done it before.

My question is this..... I am thinking why should I skim and thin the rotor, shorthening its life span. maybe I should let the new brake pads keep on gripping....although got vibration...but sooner or later the pads will adjust to the uneven rotor surface to the extent that all parts of the brake pads will be in contact with all parts of the rotor, although both surfaces will not be smooth, but the vibration and shuddering should cease. Am I right?

Whats your advice sifus?????

Rgds

It depends on how your pads will now wear the disc?
The disc is not only uneven worn but I suspect it is warp, that is why you are experiencing vibration on high speed braking.
If the disc is already too thin, I suggest your change the disc rather than skim as the disc has to be of a certain thickness to be used. Further prolong used will kill your pads, and then you will have to change the disc and pads again.
Don't play play with the brake system. They are the most important part of safety equipment in the car...... smile_thumbup.gif

mosh

Posted 09 November 2009 - 11:25 AM

mosh

Tokyo Drifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,557 posts
QUOTE (vr2turbo @ Nov 9 2009, 11:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It depends on how your pads will now wear the disc?
The disc is not only uneven worn but I suspect it is warp, that is why you are experiencing vibration on high speed braking.
If the disc is already too thin, I suggest your change the disc rather than skim as the disc has to be of a certain thickness to be used. Further prolong used will kill your pads, and then you will have to change the disc and pads again.
Don't play play with the brake system. They are the most important part of safety equipment in the car...... smile_thumbup.gif

if u dont want to skim.. try sand paper-ing on ur disc, brasso it if u wanna cheaper solution get rid all the corrosion & dirty part. smile_cool.gif

bOROi

Posted 09 November 2009 - 11:49 AM

bOROi

Fast & Furious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,173 posts
QUOTE (mosh @ Nov 9 2009, 11:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
if u dont want to skim.. try sand paper-ing on ur disc, brasso it if u wanna cheaper solution get rid all the corrosion & dirty part. smile_cool.gif

Bro...I will go skim if really necessary......Bro vr2I think theres still room to skim. The rotors are slotted and the slots are still there, though if I go skim the slots probably gone and I end up just with a ventilated, non crosdrilled and non slotted disc.

Rgds
Myah United Rules!!!!

vr2turbo

Posted 09 November 2009 - 11:50 AM

vr2turbo

Forum Ninja

• Members
  • 71,491 posts
QUOTE (mosh @ Nov 9 2009, 11:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

bro. mosh,
He wants to get rid of the vibration...... smile_big.gif

limking

Posted 09 November 2009 - 12:32 PM

limking

Tokyo Drifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,887 posts
Agreed with Bro Vr2Turbo's suggestion 101% .
PATIENCE !!! PATIENCE !!! PATIENCE !!! IT'LL GET YOU THE BEST WHEN TIME IS RIGHT AND SO WILL BE THE PRICE

mosh

Posted 09 November 2009 - 12:56 PM

mosh

Tokyo Drifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,557 posts
QUOTE (vr2turbo @ Nov 9 2009, 11:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
bro. mosh,
He wants to get rid of the vibration...... smile_big.gif

oooo.. i tot vibration due to not so smooth disc... smile_big.gif

errr .last time i got the same thing too.. but the mech said my break pump got clogged and it cannot disperse the brake oil? and at the other side, the thing that hold the brakepad was miss-allign.. smile_question.gif

limking

Posted 09 November 2009 - 01:15 PM

limking

Tokyo Drifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,887 posts
QUOTE (mosh @ Nov 9 2009, 12:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

errr .last time i got the same thing too.. but the mech said my break pump got clogged and it cannot disperse the brake oil? and at the other side, the thing that hold the brakepad was miss-allign.. smile_question.gif

Brake pump can get clogged ,meh ? Maybe brake hose possible ,only came across brake pump that leaks oil but clogged never before. What thing is that thing ,the clips or the caliper ?
PATIENCE !!! PATIENCE !!! PATIENCE !!! IT'LL GET YOU THE BEST WHEN TIME IS RIGHT AND SO WILL BE THE PRICE

vr2turbo

Posted 09 November 2009 - 01:32 PM

vr2turbo

Forum Ninja

• Members
  • 71,491 posts
QUOTE (bOROi @ Nov 9 2009, 11:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Bro...I will go skim if really necessary......Bro vr2I think theres still room to skim. The rotors are slotted and the slots are still there, though if I go skim the slots probably gone and I end up just with a ventilated, non crosdrilled and non slotted disc.

Rgds

For Slotted disc, if not mistaken if the slots disappear it is about time to change them already.
Anyway, if you are used to slotted brake disc be careful of not slotted disc as you may experience brake fade...... smile_blackeye.gif

vr2turbo

Posted 09 November 2009 - 01:42 PM

vr2turbo

Forum Ninja

• Members
  • 71,491 posts
QUOTE (mosh @ Nov 9 2009, 12:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Brake pump is the one attached to the firewall and servo unit. They normally leak and not jam.
The other is the brake piston at the caliper. For this, we don't call clog but jam. If jam needs to be taken out, cleaned and fitted back using a brake kit.
For the brake system, it will never get clogged if you service and change the brake fluid once every 2 years. The other likely cause is damage to the brake line...... smile_tongue.gif