Welcome to Autoworld Forum !

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Close
Photo

Comments On My Articles

• Please log in to reply

TheGunner

Posted 29 June 2009 - 05:14 PM

TheGunner

Knight Rider

• Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,953 posts
Dear AW forum members,

Most of you who has been in AW for a while would probably have seen my nick prop up here and there around the forums. This is not surprising since I have amassed nearly 15,000 posts (to date) since joining AW forum in 2002. If you have been reading the blog section, you would probably have noticed that I have been contributing content alongside SBY and Eu Jin (bro V-Spec), writing under my forum nick since half a year ago.

It started off as a hobby, as I was writing only on a part-time basis, but I was eventually persuaded to join AW full-time. I have actually been at work here since 1 June, which would explain why I am suddenly so free to attend so many more car launches, Sepang events and also the Pajero Sport test drive to Penang.

Previously, as I was writing on a purely voluntary basis, I could afford to take things easy with my writing. I also could afford to compromise a little here and there, as my livelihood did not depend on it, not to mention the fact that my full time job at that time had to take priority. However, this has since become my full time job and therefore I no longer have the option of posting second grade work on the blog anymore.

Those of us around in AW long enough know that at one point in time, we were one of the most well-read auto websites in the country. Unfortunately, in that last sentence, "were" was the operative word, and my ultimate mission is to bring the traffic to AW back to levels at which we were used to.

To do that, however, I have a few hurdles to overcome, the main one being the fact that I have zero training in journalism. There are people who have remarked that I write well, and if you think that way about me too, thank you. smile.gif However, I feel that there is plenty of room for me to improve. The language, style and flow of my writing are more than a few notches from the top.

I want to bring the readers back to AW, but to accomplish that, I need to improve my writing on all fronts, and I am calling on all AW forummers to help me out on this venture. How? Simple, in this thread, put in whatever comments you have on the quality of my work. The scope of your comments can cover on various aspects of not only my writing, but also the photography used to accompany my articles.

I would readily accept criticism on my grammar, vocabulary, style, intonation or any other skill-related comments. However, it would be a lot more difficult to alter my opinion on a subject. I am accomodating of other people's opinions, but I also stick to my own views.

If you think my work is good, and that I deserve praise, doing so would be a great boost to my morale. If you think my work is crap, and that I deserve a hammering, please do so as well. Of course, I won't just blindly accept criticism, so I may choose to engage you in debate, but let there be no hard feelings when this happens. wink.gif

As it stands, two things can happen out of this:
1) I become a failure as a writer. In that case, nothing happens, life goes on for you guys, while I explore other career options.
2) I become a success as a writer. I'm writing articles that everybody wants to read, the traffic comes flowing into AW again, and YOU can be proud of having successfully shaped the life of a man.

I'm determined to ensure that senario (2) would be the one unfolding in the future. Any feedback you can give would go a long way to help see to that happening.

Good or bad, I look forward to hear from you guys!

Cheers.

KON
The Gunner

Proud to be a Gunner

Jaime

Posted 29 June 2009 - 07:09 PM

Jaime

Fast & Furious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,750 posts
"eventually persuaded to join AW full-time" --> you better be good or I will "drop spectacle" (or contact lens!)
Regards,
Jaime @ AW

TheGunner

Posted 29 June 2009 - 10:19 PM

TheGunner

Knight Rider

• Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,953 posts
Jaime jie, I will have to be.

You may "drop spectacle", but for myself the cost of failure would see me drop my rice bowl!
The Gunner

Proud to be a Gunner

edifice

Posted 29 June 2009 - 10:50 PM

edifice

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 198 posts
The Gunner

Wish good luck and brighter future

smile_thumbup.gif

vr2turbo

Posted 30 June 2009 - 11:55 AM

vr2turbo

Forum Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 71,443 posts
Bro. Gunner,

I am also here on a voluntary basis as a moderator in AW. As mentioned by you, my rice bowl also takes up most of my time and I have to take care of that first, then only to AW, therefore actually I don't have much time to blog.
But based on your post here, it is pretty good. Precise and clear.
Sometimes no need paper qualification. Your training in here and now and as you write that is your training.

Keep up the good work..... smile_thumbup.gif

P.S. Only thing is there are a few Guns (AW nick) in AW forum..... smile_big.gif

Rdgs.
vr2

alldisc

Posted 01 July 2009 - 03:42 PM

alldisc

Tokyo Drifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,705 posts
The Gunner,

All i can say is.. - Keep Up The Good Work.

TheGunner

Posted 01 July 2009 - 03:45 PM

TheGunner

Knight Rider

• Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,953 posts
QUOTE (edifice @ Jun 29 2009, 10:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The Gunner

Wish good luck and brighter future

smile_thumbup.gif

Thanks bro smile_thumbup.gif
The Gunner

Proud to be a Gunner

TheGunner

Posted 01 July 2009 - 03:49 PM

TheGunner

Knight Rider

• Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,953 posts
QUOTE (vr2turbo @ Jun 30 2009, 11:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Bro. Gunner,

I am also here on a voluntary basis as a moderator in AW. As mentioned by you, my rice bowl also takes up most of my time and I have to take care of that first, then only to AW, therefore actually I don't have much time to blog.
But based on your post here, it is pretty good. Precise and clear.
Sometimes no need paper qualification. Your training in here and now and as you write that is your training.

Keep up the good work..... smile_thumbup.gif

P.S. Only thing is there are a few Guns (AW nick) in AW forum..... smile_big.gif

Rdgs.
vr2

Hahaha... I'm aware that there are quite a few Guns around too. Lucky I have 'chopped' this name since 2002. smile_big.gifsmile_thumbup.gif

When I started writing on the blog, I wished to maintain a degree of anonymity, so I continued with my forum nick. My user name in the blog shall still be 'TheGunner', but from now on, I shall sign off my pieces with my real name - KON. smile.gif

I'm glad you have a good opinion on my writing, and I hope to keep up the good work and eventually do better! I'm starting completely afresh, as neither my past job experience nor educational background has anything to do with this. It's going to be a steep learning curve ahead, which is why I am calling for feedback from you guys.

Good thing is that as a petrolhead, I've been reading a lot of mags myself, so I do know the lingo to use.
The Gunner

Proud to be a Gunner

TheGunner

Posted 01 July 2009 - 03:50 PM

TheGunner

Knight Rider

• Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,953 posts
QUOTE (alldisc @ Jul 1 2009, 03:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The Gunner,

All i can say is.. - Keep Up The Good Work.

Thanks. You keep up yours in the "What Car We Should Avoid Buying" thread too. smile_thumbup.gif
The Gunner

Proud to be a Gunner

nozzy

Posted 01 July 2009 - 04:18 PM

nozzy

Tokyo Drifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,654 posts
It is not easy to to write bro, keep up the good work smile_thumbup.gif

I am not a good writer either and I would say that my english is not excellent! I read in great interest especially CBT. Those writers there are very good, probably a good reference.

So keep all the articles coming bro smile_wink.gif

Cheers