Welcome to Autoworld Forum !

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Close
Photo

Michelin Primacy Lc Warranty Issue

• Please log in to reply

altis06

Posted 20 January 2015 - 05:15 PM

altis06

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 119 posts
Dear all, would like to seek you advise. I am currently using a set of 4 Michelin Primacy LC tyres, and all four have the sprider web parmttern of cracks at the side thread. Upon reading to Michelin website, i understand that the tyre come with warranty and would be based on the percentage left. Upon calling them, they provide me a workshop (michelin dealer workshop) to drive in for checking. After the worker from Michelin measure, they say still left 40% of thread. After that the tyre shop boss come out and tell me tey would only deduct RM500 lump sump amount if i change all 4 to new primacy 3st, af the price of RM410 each.

I told them, if counted on percentage, it should deduct 40% from the selling price. But they keep saying the 40% is based on the dealer stocks' price. I find it very ridiculous and seems like being conned.

Any of you experience this? Would appreciate if you can share

leongts

Posted 20 January 2015 - 06:47 PM

leongts

Fast & Furious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,416 posts
QUOTE (altis06 @ Jan 20 2015, 05:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Dear all, would like to seek you advise. I am currently using a set of 4 Michelin Primacy LC tyres, and all four have the sprider web parmttern of cracks at the side thread. Upon reading to Michelin website, i understand that the tyre come with warranty and would be based on the percentage left. Upon calling them, they provide me a workshop (michelin dealer workshop) to drive in for checking. After the worker from Michelin measure, they say still left 40% of thread. After that the tyre shop boss come out and tell me tey would only deduct RM500 lump sump amount if i change all 4 to new primacy 3st, af the price of RM410 each.

I told them, if counted on percentage, it should deduct 40% from the selling price. But they keep saying the 40% is based on the dealer stocks' price. I find it very ridiculous and seems like being conned.

Based on my previous experiences in trading in used tyres, you are getting a very good deal here. You are getting RM500 for 4 used tyres, which averaged Rm125 per piece and that is very, very good "compensation". Maybe because they are going to claim back from Michelin Msia. Since claims can take some time, they perhaps are factoring in a margin for the delay, hence the difference that you felt is unfair.

To counter check this, in case you don't believe me or the tyre shop's boss (I am not the boss, okay), you can try asking other shops for their trade-in price. you will be surprised at how low their offer price is for something that were used, and have developed micro-cracks.

My advice is to take the offer. When things are used, no matter whose fault, always practice a certain degree of give and take.

Regards.

tjwoon

Posted 20 January 2015 - 08:20 PM

tjwoon

5th Gear

• Members
  • 5 posts
After that the tyre shop boss come out and tell me tey would only deduct RM500 lump sump amount if i change all 4 to new primacy 3st, af the price of RM410 each.

Hi there. I'm a newbie here. I think the seller wanted to sell you 4 new tyres for RM410 * 4 = RM1640, minus RM 500, for final price of RM1140, correct? Just making sure we're all on the same page.

I don't have experience to share but am interested in the answer too, as I have very recently bought some Michelin tyres.

Posted 20 January 2015 - 10:05 PM

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 137 posts
QUOTE (tjwoon @ Jan 20 2015, 08:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi there. I'm a newbie here. I think the seller wanted to sell you 4 new tyres for RM410 * 4 = RM1640, minus RM 500, for final price of RM1140, correct? Just making sure we're all on the same page.

I don't have experience to share but am interested in the answer too, as I have very recently bought some Michelin tyres.

Dear friend,

My personal experience : My present set of four 205/55/16 Michelin XM2 year 2012 week 16 with about 50% thread left is

offered only RM50X4=RM200 to trade in to change a new set of 4 PS3 RM380X4=RM1540 last week. So l have to top up RM1340

but still hesitating yet.

So l think it is a good price for our friend's cracked tyre deal.

vr2turbo

Posted 21 January 2015 - 08:14 AM

vr2turbo

Forum Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 71,482 posts
QUOTE (521329 @ Jan 20 2015, 10:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Dear friend,

My personal experience : My present set of four 205/55/16 Michelin XM2 year 2012 week 16 with about 50% thread left is

offered only RM50X4=RM200 to trade in to change a new set of 4 PS3 RM380X4=RM1540 last week. So l have to top up RM1340

but still hesitating yet.

So l think it is a good price for our friend's cracked tyre deal.

His price is higher because it is claim price and not trade in price.... smile_tongue.gif

vr2turbo

Posted 21 January 2015 - 08:19 AM

vr2turbo

Forum Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 71,482 posts

Warranty claim is like that one. You cannot get from full price. Even car Insurance when you claim total loss you don't get 100%.
Here is my take. Make sure the selling price of the new tyre is not jacked up. If the selling price is about there then I think you should just go ahead. If you are not confident with Michelin tyres already, ask the tyre shop for other brands of tyres. My friend have claimed before but instead of buying back the same brand he change to others.

altis06

Posted 21 January 2015 - 11:01 AM

altis06

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 119 posts
Thanks all for that advise, i also think that should be good enough, but i made a call to Michelin head office yesterday evening after visiting the workshop to indicate my dissatisfaction. If there isn't any improvement offered, i will take the current offer.

Regarding the price, i think RM410 for a 215/60/R16 PS3 tyre should be reasonable (he don't even agree to round up to 400 pun), the thing that i previously dun feel happy is the way they calculate it, they say the 40% reimbursement is based on the dealer's stock purchased price from michelin, not from the price i am being charged. This wouldn't be logic, i had a feeling of being bulls*it, and i even suspect they is some kind of deal between the Michelin warrantty guy with the tyre shop. And also, for the same size of tyres, i can get a brand new Bridgestone GR100 outside, same class of tyres at about RM310. From a consumer view(i mean by calculation of money to be spent), of course i am not happy, because even with the warranty claim, there is no difference of buying a new set of tyres without any discount. But of course, comparing this way isn't a fair comparison la...

Upon listening to all your advise, i think i will wait for the hq feedback on my complaint, if no flavourable solution, i will go ahead for the current offer. By the way, the shop also offer me 360 for XM2 for that size and RM500 offer still the same.

flee

Posted 21 January 2015 - 02:15 PM

flee

White Lightning

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,018 posts
Yes, unfortunately this RM 500 for the defective tyres is the best offer. It is from Michelin, not the tyre dealer. As far as the dealer is concerned, he is offering you a warranty claim service - a complicated transaction. He'd rather not do it but since he is a Michelin autrhorised dealer, he HAS to. With only 40% of the thread remaining, there is not much useful life left in the tyre. You have had its best performance already. From now on, it will be downhill all the way!

PS3 and P3ST prices are very similar. But PS3 also has some problems with thread chipping. So you should think carefully if you want to change to PS3.
Regards,
Flee

Posted 21 January 2015 - 02:24 PM

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 137 posts
QUOTE (altis06 @ Jan 21 2015, 11:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks all for that advise, i also think that should be good enough, but i made a call to Michelin head office yesterday evening after visiting the workshop to indicate my dissatisfaction. If there isn't any improvement offered, i will take the current offer.

Regarding the price, i think RM410 for a 215/60/R16 PS3 tyre should be reasonable (he don't even agree to round up to 400 pun), the thing that i previously dun feel happy is the way they calculate it, they say the 40% reimbursement is based on the dealer's stock purchased price from michelin, not from the price i am being charged. This wouldn't be logic, i had a feeling of being bulls*it, and i even suspect they is some kind of deal between the Michelin warrantty guy with the tyre shop. And also, for the same size of tyres, i can get a brand new Bridgestone GR100 outside, same class of tyres at about RM310. From a consumer view(i mean by calculation of money to be spent), of course i am not happy, because even with the warranty claim, there is no difference of buying a new set of tyres without any discount. But of course, comparing this way isn't a fair comparison la...

Upon listening to all your advise, i think i will wait for the hq feedback on my complaint, if no flavourable solution, i will go ahead for the current offer. By the way, the shop also offer me 360 for XM2 for that size and RM500 offer still the same.

Dear friend,

l still remember our great adviser Vr2-4 commented that PS3 is Max performance grade whereas XM2 is merely elementary

level. My set of tyres prior to the XM2 was PS3 which was excellent in performance especially running up and down to and fro from

Genting way. The grip was simply fantastic. l felt a bit regret after shifting to XM2 because the performance is just so-so. That is

why l now intend to go back to PS3.

My suggestion is if you feel that the extra cost of PS3 over XM2 is acceptable, go for PS3. You can feel the difference and enjoy

the fun of driving.

Thanks. Regards.

altis06

Posted 21 January 2015 - 04:17 PM

altis06

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 119 posts
I think i made some typo error, the tyre initially offer was 3ST. And also come with 6 years warrantry as well.