Welcome to Autoworld Forum !

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Close
Photo

Choosing Valve Stem?

• Please log in to reply

advocado

Posted 22 December 2014 - 12:52 PM

advocado

Probation

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts
Am thinking of buying metal valve stem to bring to change tyre, but wondering, what considerations do i need to make when purchasing 1?

Rim is Persona M-Line stock 195/60/R15.

Does the Valve stem need to match the rim or the tyre? Say Yokohama C-Drive 2 (195/60/R15 or 195/55/R15), or Michelin PS3 195/55/R15.

Also i search got Aluminum Tubeless what does Tubeless mean?

I also see got different shapes but are they all compatible?

I heard outside shop if no package 1 rubber tube can cost rm10-15 which i see ebay much cheaper.

Example:

http://www.ebay.com....tm/221252378099

http://www.ebay.com....tm/171601875738

rallychamp

Posted 22 December 2014 - 04:30 PM

rallychamp

hands on habbit

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,669 posts
i prefer the steel version...last longer....

and buy outside first...then when they request to change the valve stem at tyre shop u just hands your own stem to them to change.. smile_approve.gif

*crazy drifter|| http://img225.images...gilalahlagi.jpg
*Drift King is Back!!|| http://img580.images...ahdkterbaik.jpg
(NFS Underground)

advocado

Posted 22 December 2014 - 05:28 PM

advocado

Probation

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts
i tried searching online for "Valve Stem", seems like local sellers only sell Valve Stem Cap instead of the whole Stem.

outside where can find good quality ones at good price (how much is good?)

i search ebay locally only got those 2 types Aluminum Straight & 90deg Bronze, their size stated is 11mm & 11.5mm, does it fit Persona's stock 15" rims?

your suggestion is what i plan to do, but i intend to change new valve coz old valve many years already and is rubber.

so far very little information on this item...

QUOTE (rallychamp @ Dec 22 2014, 04:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i prefer the steel version...last longer....

and buy outside first...then when they request to change the valve stem at tyre shop u just hands your own stem to them to change.. smile_approve.gif

vr2turbo

Posted 23 December 2014 - 10:43 AM

vr2turbo

Forum Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 71,443 posts
QUOTE (advocado @ Dec 22 2014, 12:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Am thinking of buying metal valve stem to bring to change tyre, but wondering, what considerations do i need to make when purchasing 1?

Rim is Persona M-Line stock 195/60/R15.

Does the Valve stem need to match the rim or the tyre? Say Yokohama C-Drive 2 (195/60/R15 or 195/55/R15), or Michelin PS3 195/55/R15.

Also i search got Aluminum Tubeless what does Tubeless mean?

I also see got different shapes but are they all compatible?

I heard outside shop if no package 1 rubber tube can cost rm10-15 which i see ebay much cheaper.

Since you don't even know which one fits you are better off buying from the tyre shop in case you buy the wrong ones.
Looking at the price it is slightly cheaper only but more hassle and worst if the wrong one is purchased.

The valve stem need to match the rims. This depends where the valve hole is located. Usually most rims uses the straight direct one. Curve or bent ones usually for rim with the holes further in, so with the curve the head is on the outside for easy use to pump or release air.

Not sure what you mean by aluminum tubeless, but if refer to tyres nowadays most tyres are tubeless, meaning the tyres are beaded on to the rims without the aid of tubes.

vr2turbo

Posted 23 December 2014 - 11:02 AM

vr2turbo

Forum Ninja

• Members
  • 71,443 posts
QUOTE (advocado @ Dec 22 2014, 11:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Question on the Valve, when you buy new tyres do they use back your old valve or have to buy new valves or depends what tyre you change?

Do you know which Tyre has better quality rubber than can last longer?

Is it ok to use 55 on front & 60 on rear? Do we have to use the same brand & model for front & back or can Front PS3 then back something else?

Speedometer measure rotation of front or rear wheels?

Also are PS3 directional & asymmetrical? Can it be swapped to any wheels or just left front to left back?

Is there any PS3 equivalents for 55 or 60 from Bridgestone? And how are Bridgestone's rubber generally speaking? Am thinking PS3 but since people talking about bad batch now i might change the front set 1st to other brand.

If using rubber valves it is good practice to change the valve at every tyre change. Since made of rubber they tent to harden too and crack and may leak or even break off. If use metal ones they will last longer as these are screw on from the inside. Being metal there will be two pcs of rubber O rings in between to prevent air loss, so at every tyre change just check the tightness of the locking nut. If the O rings are damaged then need to change the metal valve too.

I would not say it is better quality rubber to last longer. There are many categories of tyres from entry level to UHP. Entry level tyres are made to last longer. They have harder rubber compound to resist wear but harder rubber compound do not grip that well. As oppose UHP tyre have soft compound so they grip and handle better but they don't last. So as mentioned you have to set your priorities correct before choosing your tyres.

Yes you can use 55 series in front and 60 series in the rear, but by doing so you cannot rotate your tyres front/rear and then what size will you keep as a spare?
You can have two front tyres the same and two rear tyres the same but please get almost similar performance tyres. Better in front you will over steer and better in the rear you may under steer.

Speedometer is rotation of the front wheel as that is the drive wheel connected to gear box.

PS3 is asymmetric in pattern and can be swap front/rear and/or left/right

As mentioned there is no 60 series for PS3. If 55 series equivalent tyres are BS RE-002, Hankook V12 Evo, Yoko S-Drives, GY F1-D5

advocado

Posted 23 December 2014 - 11:36 AM

advocado

Probation

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts
it's original Persona prefacelift 15" rim.

when you say wrong one, it's the shape of the tube, or size of the stem?

The max diameter of the hole is around 1" egg shaped.

I'm interested in this

http://www.ebay.com....tm/221252378099

but not sure it's suitable or not.

QUOTE (vr2turbo @ Dec 23 2014, 10:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Since you don't even know which one fits you are better off buying from the tyre shop in case you buy the wrong ones.
Looking at the price it is slightly cheaper only but more hassle and worst if the wrong one is purchased.

The valve stem need to match the rims. This depends where the valve hole is located. Usually most rims uses the straight direct one. Curve or bent ones usually for rim with the holes further in, so with the curve the head is on the outside for easy use to pump or release air.

Not sure what you mean by aluminum tubeless, but if refer to tyres nowadays most tyres are tubeless, meaning the tyres are beaded on to the rims without the aid of tubes.

advocado

Posted 23 December 2014 - 11:50 AM

advocado

Probation

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts
hi when i mention long lasting, i don't mean by mileage since i don't clock long mileage, i mean age as in number of years, so this depends more on the quality of the rubber to reduce the harden process as it ages. also any tips to keep rubber last longer, like applying tire polisher?

the spare tyre you mean the one in the boot that doesn't even match the 4 rims? or spare rubber only? coz i know most people just discard the old rubber when they buy new? or do you guys keep a spare rubber in the boot?

it's 55 & 60 because i plan to change 2 front set 1st so rear is still 60.

is there any PS3 equivalent tires for 15" 195/60? coz all i see are comfort tyres & mid range like C-Drive 2. Because if keeping 60, there is not much choice i think C-Drive 2 is best balance.

The persona is stock.

Just wondering if comparing by %, how much do PS3 is to CC1 in terms of noise & vibration? Just rough estimate.

QUOTE (vr2turbo @ Dec 23 2014, 11:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If using rubber valves it is good practice to change the valve at every tyre change. Since made of rubber they tent to harden too and crack and may leak or even break off. If use metal ones they will last longer as these are screw on from the inside. Being metal there will be two pcs of rubber O rings in between to prevent air loss, so at every tyre change just check the tightness of the locking nut. If the O rings are damaged then need to change the metal valve too.

I would not say it is better quality rubber to last longer. There are many categories of tyres from entry level to UHP. Entry level tyres are made to last longer. They have harder rubber compound to resist wear but harder rubber compound do not grip that well. As oppose UHP tyre have soft compound so they grip and handle better but they don't last. So as mentioned you have to set your priorities correct before choosing your tyres.

Yes you can use 55 series in front and 60 series in the rear, but by doing so you cannot rotate your tyres front/rear and then what size will you keep as a spare?
You can have two front tyres the same and two rear tyres the same but please get almost similar performance tyres. Better in front you will over steer and better in the rear you may under steer.

Speedometer is rotation of the front wheel as that is the drive wheel connected to gear box.

PS3 is asymmetric in pattern and can be swap front/rear and/or left/right

As mentioned there is no 60 series for PS3. If 55 series equivalent tyres are BS RE-002, Hankook V12 Evo, Yoko S-Drives, GY F1-D5

vr2turbo

Posted 24 December 2014 - 08:35 AM

vr2turbo

Forum Ninja

• Members
  • 71,443 posts
QUOTE (advocado @ Dec 23 2014, 11:36 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
it's original Persona prefacelift 15" rim.

when you say wrong one, it's the shape of the tube, or size of the stem?

The max diameter of the hole is around 1" egg shaped.

I'm interested in this

but not sure it's suitable or not.

Valve stem is standard size, only the shape differs

vr2turbo

Posted 24 December 2014 - 08:39 AM

vr2turbo

Forum Ninja

• Members
  • 71,443 posts
QUOTE (advocado @ Dec 23 2014, 11:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
hi when i mention long lasting, i don't mean by mileage since i don't clock long mileage, i mean age as in number of years, so this depends more on the quality of the rubber to reduce the harden process as it ages. also any tips to keep rubber last longer, like applying tire polisher?

the spare tyre you mean the one in the boot that doesn't even match the 4 rims? or spare rubber only? coz i know most people just discard the old rubber when they buy new? or do you guys keep a spare rubber in the boot?

it's 55 & 60 because i plan to change 2 front set 1st so rear is still 60.

is there any PS3 equivalent tires for 15" 195/60? coz all i see are comfort tyres & mid range like C-Drive 2. Because if keeping 60, there is not much choice i think C-Drive 2 is best balance.

The persona is stock.

Just wondering if comparing by %, how much do PS3 is to CC1 in terms of noise & vibration? Just rough estimate.

As mentioned get as new as possible since you want to keep them for long term. After 4 years just inspect the tyres for fine cracks on the sidewall. Don't have then can continue using them. Got fine cracks then be prepared to change the tyres for safety reasons.

What I mean is with 55 series in front and 60 at the rear you cannot rotate the tyres.

Yup, better to keep the tyres all same size, same brand and model too.... smile_thumbup.gif

advocado

Posted 24 December 2014 - 09:15 AM

advocado

Probation

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts
i calculated the spare tyre is actually same size as a 55, i wonder why they don't match the spare so it's same size as the stock.

maybe the spare was designed for Gen2 & Neo which uses 55 last time?

QUOTE (vr2turbo @ Dec 24 2014, 08:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
As mentioned get as new as possible since you want to keep them for long term. After 4 years just inspect the tyres for fine cracks on the sidewall. Don't have then can continue using them. Got fine cracks then be prepared to change the tyres for safety reasons.

What I mean is with 55 series in front and 60 at the rear you cannot rotate the tyres.

Yup, better to keep the tyres all same size, same brand and model too.... smile_thumbup.gif