Welcome to Autoworld Forum !

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Close
Photo

Changing Tyre Size

• Please log in to reply

kedahfella

Posted 29 August 2014 - 01:50 PM

kedahfella

2nd Gear

• Members
  • 2 posts
Dear sifus

I am using inspira stock rim 6.5J and tyre 205/60 R16.
Thinking of changing to 225/55 R16. Thinking of Michelin PS3 or 3ST.
Any opinions? Thank you

vr2turbo

Posted 01 September 2014 - 06:45 PM

vr2turbo

Forum Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 71,444 posts
QUOTE (kedahfella @ Aug 29 2014, 01:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Dear sifus

I am using inspira stock rim 6.5J and tyre 205/60 R16.
Thinking of changing to 225/55 R16. Thinking of Michelin PS3 or 3ST.
Any opinions? Thank you

Yes, you can do it but best rim width is 7J. Check also your wheel arch clearance since using wider tyres

Mikhai

Posted 07 September 2014 - 06:13 PM

Mikhai

Taxi Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 294 posts
Is more than 3%, let say still under 4% really make different in safety?
Coz I feel like wanna try one size "thicker" as well... somewhere 3.7% thicker...

My worry is that it will affect the ABS & ESP calculation.
Speedo meter and odometer are not so much of an issue. Any suggestion?

vr2turbo

Posted 08 September 2014 - 08:28 AM

vr2turbo

Forum Ninja

• Members
  • 71,444 posts
QUOTE (Mikhai @ Sep 7 2014, 06:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Coz I feel like wanna try one size "thicker" as well... somewhere 3.7% thicker...

On safety issues, the main worry of bigger diameter tyres, is it takes more effort to slow/stop it at high speed, therefore the warning. If your brakes are good or modded to be better you can go ahead and use.
Other then that wheel clearance, but not safety issue by usage issue.... smile_tongue.gif

Mikhai

Posted 08 September 2014 - 12:25 PM

Mikhai

Taxi Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 294 posts
QUOTE (vr2turbo @ Sep 8 2014, 08:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
On safety issues, the main worry of bigger diameter tyres, is it takes more effort to slow/stop it at high speed, therefore the warning. If your brakes are good or modded to be better you can go ahead and use.
Other then that wheel clearance, but not safety issue by usage issue.... smile_tongue.gif

Good news, then I should look around whether the clearance is ok or not.
Coz I'm going to upgrade brake pads to EBC Red Stuff smile_cool.gif

vr2turbo

Posted 08 September 2014 - 10:45 PM

vr2turbo

Forum Ninja

• Members
  • 71,444 posts
QUOTE (Mikhai @ Sep 8 2014, 12:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Good news, then I should look around whether the clearance is ok or not.
Coz I'm going to upgrade brake pads to EBC Red Stuff smile_cool.gif

Brake pads are just like tyres, you better check properly before buying. See whether it suits your use.
As far as I know Red stuff can withstand higher heat range before fade but their grip when cold is not too good as working temperature is not from zero. Most use for touge and track play. You may be better off with green stuff for normal use.
Check out yellow stuff too as some say they work pretty well when cold but I am not sure as they are actually higher them red stuff.
Why I mention the above is I have been using Bendix Metal king for quite some time and they work quite fast. Just need some warm up and they start to bite say after 1 to 2 km. Then I tried an 800 degree pads, they work very very well when hot but they are unless when cold. Even after 10km use they are not heated enough to give a good bite. I use for a week then took them out, but they will be great for track play...so depends on use too....

Mikhai

Posted 10 September 2014 - 07:27 AM

Mikhai

Taxi Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 294 posts
QUOTE (vr2turbo @ Sep 8 2014, 10:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Brake pads are just like tyres, you better check properly before buying. See whether it suits your use.
As far as I know Red stuff can withstand higher heat range before fade but their grip when cold is not too good as working temperature is not from zero. Most use for touge and track play. You may be better off with green stuff for normal use.
Check out yellow stuff too as some say they work pretty well when cold but I am not sure as they are actually higher them red stuff.
Why I mention the above is I have been using Bendix Metal king for quite some time and they work quite fast. Just need some warm up and they start to bite say after 1 to 2 km. Then I tried an 800 degree pads, they work very very well when hot but they are unless when cold. Even after 10km use they are not heated enough to give a good bite. I use for a week then took them out, but they will be great for track play...so depends on use too....

Thanks bro, I choose Red Stuff coz it is ultra low dust... Have to study again smile.gif

vr2turbo

Posted 10 September 2014 - 08:07 AM

vr2turbo

Forum Ninja

• Members
  • 71,444 posts
QUOTE (Mikhai @ Sep 10 2014, 07:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks bro, I choose Red Stuff coz it is ultra low dust... Have to study again smile.gif

You are welcome.... smile_thumbup.gif

I am now on Trestor Blue Advantage but if you want low dust then cannot use. Bite is good but dust a lot...... smile_tongue.gif

Gunnerzz

Posted 10 September 2014 - 11:09 PM

Gunnerzz

Tokyo Drifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,102 posts
QUOTE (Mikhai @ Sep 7 2014, 06:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

not sure abt ESP but wont affect ABS operation as its based on the wheel rotation not the size.Most sensor are located behind the disc and it detect the movement of the tooth inside the assembly.
for example the driveshaft will have gear at the outer end.ABS rely on these gear to operate.
Maybe the stopping distance is difference from stock size but ABS will still operate as usual.

Same goes with esp i guess as wheel and tyre size wont cause an error its just wont be the same as when u are on stock size.

vr2turbo

Posted 11 September 2014 - 07:59 AM

vr2turbo

Forum Ninja

• Members
  • 71,444 posts
QUOTE (Gunnerzz @ Sep 10 2014, 11:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
not sure abt ESP but wont affect ABS operation as its based on the wheel rotation not the size.Most sensor are located behind the disc and it detect the movement of the tooth inside the assembly.
for example the driveshaft will have gear at the outer end.ABS rely on these gear to operate.
Maybe the stopping distance is difference from stock size but ABS will still operate as usual.

Same goes with esp i guess as wheel and tyre size wont cause an error its just wont be the same as when u are on stock size.

Then upgrading the rotor and caliper should not affect the ABS too, right?