Welcome to Autoworld Forum !

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Close
Photo

Chevy Aveo 1.5 - Jerks When Rain

• Please log in to reply

alphawolf

Posted 17 October 2012 - 12:15 PM

alphawolf

Taxi Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 327 posts
Hello guys,
Hope to have some opinions on my Chevy Aveo.

Yesterday, when it's raining and i stopped my car to pay the toll, the car jerked a few times, like it's trying to jump forward. After I drove off, it returned to normal. So I drove into every pool of water i could find but can't replicate this issue.

It happened a month ago too. It's raining very very heavily at that time. Strangely, it happened at the same toll booth! smile_blackeye.gif . That time i drove into every bloody pool of water I could find but can't replicate it also.

The car's perfectly normal, besides these 2 episodes.

So...any opinions on what may be wrong? Maybe the spark plugss wet or something? Or is that particular toll booth cursed smile_blush.gif

ItsChevy

Posted 17 October 2012 - 02:48 PM

ItsChevy

Taxi Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 254 posts
sorry I have never encouter this problem before so I have no idea. I only know that after you wash your car, take it for a ride. Don't part immediately after the wash b'cos the water might cause the brake to 'jam' a bit.

alphawolf

Posted 17 October 2012 - 02:57 PM

alphawolf

Taxi Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 327 posts
QUOTE (ItsChevy @ Oct 17 2012, 02:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
sorry I have never encouter this problem before so I have no idea. I only know that after you wash your car, take it for a ride. Don't part immediately after the wash b'cos the water might cause the brake to 'jam' a bit.

interesting...maybe it has got to do with the brakes...had changed the rotors and pads recently before this happened and maybe it's because of some misalignment or something..thx.

cute_boboi

Posted 17 October 2012 - 03:11 PM

cute_boboi

Heart Like a Wheel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,883 posts
QUOTE (alphawolf @ Oct 17 2012, 12:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hello guys,
Hope to have some opinions on my Chevy Aveo.

Yesterday, when it's raining and i stopped my car to pay the toll, the car jerked a few times, like it's trying to jump forward. After I drove off, it returned to normal. So I drove into every pool of water i could find but can't replicate this issue.

It happened a month ago too. It's raining very very heavily at that time. Strangely, it happened at the same toll booth! smile_blackeye.gif . That time i drove into every bloody pool of water I could find but can't replicate it also.

The car's perfectly normal, besides these 2 episodes.

So...any opinions on what may be wrong? Maybe the spark plugss wet or something? Or is that particular toll booth cursed smile_blush.gif

Twilight zone smile_tongue.gif

Try simulate how you slow-down and stop at the toll booth.
The jerk is when slowing down, stopped, or you start to move ?

"When Columbus started out he didn`t know where he was going. When he got there he didn`t know where he was and when he got back he didn`t know where he had been." - Anonymous

alphawolf

Posted 17 October 2012 - 03:40 PM

alphawolf

Taxi Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 327 posts
QUOTE (cute_boboi @ Oct 17 2012, 03:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Twilight zone smile_tongue.gif

Try simulate how you slow-down and stop at the toll booth.
The jerk is when slowing down, stopped, or you start to move ?

exactly what i thought...twillight zone toll booth. next time will use a different toll booth smile_blush.gif

the jerks happened when i creeped forward and stopped. Like when you creep along in a line of cars waiting to pay toll..

i suspect it's the coil or the spark plug cables...coz it only happened twice during rain, so the cause got to be something to do with water...

but then, i went and "plow" through every water pool to be found along the roads. other drivers think i might be crazy. cannot replicate the jerks. It will be hard to explain to the mechanic..

any ideas? smile_blackeye.gif

cute_boboi

Posted 17 October 2012 - 05:04 PM

cute_boboi

Heart Like a Wheel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,883 posts
QUOTE (alphawolf @ Oct 17 2012, 03:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
exactly what i thought...twillight zone toll booth. next time will use a different toll booth smile_blush.gif

the jerks happened when i creeped forward and stopped. Like when you creep along in a line of cars waiting to pay toll..

i suspect it's the coil or the spark plug cables...coz it only happened twice during rain, so the cause got to be something to do with water...

but then, i went and "plow" through every water pool to be found along the roads. other drivers think i might be crazy. cannot replicate the jerks. It will be hard to explain to the mechanic..

any ideas? smile_blackeye.gif

Need more precise. The jerk is when ?
1) From standstill, it starts to creep
2) Creeping
3) Press on brake
4) Complete stop with brake

The jerk is like engine coughing/vibrating ?

"When Columbus started out he didn`t know where he was going. When he got there he didn`t know where he was and when he got back he didn`t know where he had been." - Anonymous

alphawolf

Posted 17 October 2012 - 05:13 PM

alphawolf

Taxi Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 327 posts
QUOTE (cute_boboi @ Oct 17 2012, 05:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Need more precise. The jerk is when ?
1) From standstill, it starts to creep
2) Creeping
3) Press on brake
4) Complete stop with brake

The jerk is like engine coughing/vibrating ?

more like number 2 = "creeping"

I think the engine's ok, not coughing or vibrating.. huh.gif

vr2turbo

Posted 18 October 2012 - 07:42 AM

vr2turbo

Forum Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 71,443 posts
This is a tough one as it does not happen often and worst it happens only at that particular toll booth? smile_shock.gif

alphawolf

Posted 18 October 2012 - 08:41 AM

alphawolf

Taxi Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 327 posts
QUOTE (vr2turbo @ Oct 18 2012, 07:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This is a tough one as it does not happen often and worst it happens only at that particular toll booth? smile_shock.gif

yeah...strange isn't it smile_blackeye.gif . Yesterday was raining slightly and i arrived at the same booth. no problems.. then purposely went to the neighbourhood BHP station for a "Cyclone" automated RM4 car wash and also no problem there.

yesterday morning i bought the car to the Chevy official service centre at Bangi (i am working in Kajang). But the service personnels there are horrible and very slow, and the place looks very run down and dirty. Wasted my time by going there...i don't trust them at first glance. I quickly cabut by bluffing them that i have to go for an urgent meeting smile_tongue.gif

nevertheless, will bring the car for a checkup on saturday at my regular place. If there are any ideas from anybody, let me know

cute_boboi

Posted 18 October 2012 - 11:18 AM

cute_boboi

Heart Like a Wheel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,883 posts
QUOTE (alphawolf @ Oct 17 2012, 05:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
more like number 2 = "creeping"

I think the engine's ok, not coughing or vibrating.. huh.gif

Very hard to tell the problem, really need a proper tech to spend time on it. The jerk can be many possible reaons:
1) controller - the ISC/fuel regulator/chip/computer/whatever is spoil
2) some sensor spoil - hence not giving correct fuel/air mixture
3) clutch/sensor/pad
etc.

You can try simulate in car park when reach office (engine already fully warmed up), just let it creep, then fully stop. Let it creep again.
Try daily until can find a pattern or more info.