Welcome to Autoworld Forum !

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Close
Photo

Peugeot 407 Vs 408

• Please log in to reply

whutsoever

Posted 03 September 2012 - 10:49 AM

whutsoever

5th Gear

• Members
  • 5 posts
Hi. I am looking to purchase a car, and I am seriously contemplating between the Peugeot 407 and the Peugeot 408. I was told the 407 is an excellent car, that's why I've been considering. Based on 2nd hand car price, the 2009/2010 model is almost RM95 - RM100k. Seems pretty steep for a 2nd hand car? That's how the 408 came into the picture. The 2.0 model brand new is only RM109k? Can the power of the 407 be compared to a camry or accord?

I do enjoy the occasional speed, and stability is important. But most important to me is fuel consumption as I do travel a lot. I'm in sales. So what do u guys think?

MASsenger

Posted 03 September 2012 - 09:54 PM

MASsenger

Fast & Furious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,393 posts
QUOTE (whutsoever @ Sep 3 2012, 10:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi. I am looking to purchase a car, and I am seriously contemplating between the Peugeot 407 and the Peugeot 408. I was told the 407 is an excellent car, that's why I've been considering. Based on 2nd hand car price, the 2009/2010 model is almost RM95 - RM100k. Seems pretty steep for a 2nd hand car? That's how the 408 came into the picture. The 2.0 model brand new is only RM109k? Can the power of the 407 be compared to a camry or accord?

I do enjoy the occasional speed, and stability is important. But most important to me is fuel consumption as I do travel a lot. I'm in sales. So what do u guys think?

Both cars are different segments.I was faced with the same situation 2 months ago. My decision was the 408t.

407 is D segment. Great car,very good handling and FC. Still one of the best looking car inspite of it age. I don't think this design will ever age.  Get the 09 onwards. This is the facelift model, upgrades to interior, GPS,engine and transmission. You can now pick up a 2009 model for $90K. New price was $138K. $48K down for a 3 year old car is good value for money!

408 is C segment,priced $110k for the NA. Same engine as the 407 with 5hp more and a brand new gearbox. For 20K more than the 09 407,you get 5 year warranty, brand new car,better gearbox,stylish instrument panel,bigger cabin. Finance on new car can be 1% lower. This narrows the margins at the end. 

At $126k you the turbo engine, lots of safety features,better steering system,leather seats, very classy instrumentation. This is truly an amazing car for 16k extra. Worth every buck,you'll not regret getting this model. 

Not that the NA is bad, but the turbo is simply awesome! If you say you enjoy occasional spritted driving,this is the car you need! The FC is better than it's 2litre brethren! Accord and Camry are kittens compared to the 408t!

The REALdeal

victorhoh

Posted 04 September 2012 - 07:55 AM

victorhoh

Taxi Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 286 posts
I will get 407 for the following 5 reasons:

1. The exterior look. Like what MASsenger said, a forever young design. Also it comes with HID.
2. The interior trim. The premium version comes with leather, JBL Speaker with subwoofer, a big Multimedia + navigator screen. It really feels upmarket.
3. 7 airbags
4. The complex suspension - unrivalled handling (corner-whacking), and comfort. It simply soaks up potholes like they are not there.
5. It is the cheapeast D segment car.

In fact, I will get 407 for any one of the above 5 reasons.

hcube

Posted 04 September 2012 - 08:29 AM

hcube

Fast & Furious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,385 posts
QUOTE (victorhoh @ Sep 4 2012, 07:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I will get 407 for the following 5 reasons:

1. The exterior look. Like what MASsenger said, a forever young design. Also it comes with HID.
2. The interior trim. The premium version comes with leather, JBL Speaker with subwoofer, a big Multimedia + navigator screen. It really feels upmarket.
3. 7 airbags
4. The complex suspension - unrivalled handling (corner-whacking), and comfort. It simply soaks up potholes like they are not there.
5. It is the cheapeast D segment car.

In fact, I will get 407 for any one of the above 5 reasons.

Plus the instrument dials are so classy... smile_approve.gif
Lion rules...

whutsoever

Posted 04 September 2012 - 10:29 AM

whutsoever

5th Gear

• Members
  • 5 posts
Thanks guys for your opinion. The main reason I am torn is the pricing actually. I am really keen on the 407, but when I consider that I only need to pay an extra 20+k for a brand new 408t with much lower financing, I am absolutely torn! Haha... The 408t is quite the looker too.

MASsenger

Posted 04 September 2012 - 10:44 AM

MASsenger

Fast & Furious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,393 posts
You are exactly in my shoes 2 months ago! Even after signing on the dotted line for the 408t, I'd still admire the 407 whenever one passes by. Now after 2 months of turbo,no turning back. Turbo is so additive! 407 is simply underpowered and has faded away!

It's always the case of value for money. The choice is yours. As i said the turbos are truly awesome,be it 308/408/508. If you decide on the 407,I'd say wait till next year. There are quite a number at the used car dealers, now not getting a buyer. 408 pricing has practically killed used 407 market. Every day it's costing them money to hold on. They'd be willing to offer good price. Occasionally you may get a direct sale at good price. Last week I saw a 09 premium for $75k at mudah.com Might be still there!

That's a price I'd be willing to pay for a 09 now. If 95k,I'd rather get the 408NA. For $15k extra you are getting a lot more! Before you decide, test drive the turbo model.

The REALdeal

victorhoh

Posted 04 September 2012 - 11:09 AM

victorhoh

Taxi Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 286 posts
I would not even compare 408 2.0 with a 407, other than it is a newer car. 408T, yes, the turbo engine is GREAT. But that's about it. Trim wise, 407 kills both the 408. Tell me 1 thing that you get in 408T that you do not get in 407.

The killer feature of 407 to me is the suspension. I am driving a 308VTi, and it is harsh, and I heard that 308T is much harsher. I have driven 407 a few times, long/short journey. The suspension simply amazing. Comfortable, yet give you confidence.

MASsenger

Posted 04 September 2012 - 05:01 PM

MASsenger

Fast & Furious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,393 posts
407s interior is dated. Instrument cluster is fine,but the MFD fades intime and is often difficult to read. Aluminium look borders of centre panel appear cheap. Black plastic border updates make a small difference. This panel is upright and appears as if someone stuck it in, the last minute. O8 models even worst,taxi meter stcuk on top! There is no continuity with the whole dashboard. I'd agree the suspension is really good but steering is light and loss of feel is apparent.

408NA's instrument cluster,centre panel and the whole dashboard blend in and appear much more stylish. Center panel has a nice inclination. Even the panels aluminium look has a classy smokey texture, does not appear cheap! At8 gearbox has better ratios. This with the 5hp extra does give this a slightly better push!

White dails on408t are sporty, instruments are even more classy at night with it's back lights. 09 407 dails became white, but no way as classy! Two things on 408t kills 407. The torque of the turbo engine and the feel and feel back of the steering. The steering is not light or heavy. It has the right tautness to provide precise and positive feedback!

The REALdeal

victorhoh

Posted 04 September 2012 - 06:48 PM

victorhoh

Taxi Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 286 posts
QUOTE (MASsenger @ Sep 4 2012, 05:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
407s interior is dated. Instrument cluster is fine,but the MFD fades intime and is often difficult to read. Aluminium look borders of centre panel appear cheap. Black plastic border updates make a small difference. This panel is upright and appears as if someone stuck it in, the last minute. O8 models even worst,taxi meter stcuk on top! There is no continuity with the whole dashboard. I'd agree the suspension is really good but steering is light and loss of feel is apparent.

408NA's instrument cluster,centre panel and the whole dashboard blend in and appear much more stylish. Center panel has a nice inclination. Even the panels aluminium look has a classy smokey texture, does not appear cheap! At8 gearbox has better ratios. This with the 5hp extra does give this a slightly better push!

White dails on408t are sporty, instruments are even more classy at night with it's back lights. 09 407 dails became white, but no way as classy! Two things on 408t kills 407. The torque of the turbo engine and the feel and feel back of the steering. The steering is not light or heavy. It has the right tautness to provide precise and positive feedback!

The design/texture/colour of the interior elements are debatable, so we shall not go into that. Gearbox wise I have no idea, since both are 4-speed auto (comparing 407 with 408 2.0). As for steering feedback, I have no problem with 407 steering at all, whether in town or on highway. It might not provide as much feedback as a 308/408 steering (in fact 308 steering is over chatty and heavy in my opinion). However, it is nicely weighted (compared to most Japs), and it is precise. And again, the comfort level of the suspension is just too good, considering that it also handles very well.

hereticbar

Posted 04 September 2012 - 06:52 PM

hereticbar

Fast & Furious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,927 posts
Made in France vs made in China. Enough said. sleep.gif