Welcome to Autoworld Forum !

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Close
Photo

New Honda Crv Vs 2005 Toyota Harrier

• Please log in to reply

joesen

Posted 01 July 2010 - 07:51 PM

joesen

6th Gear

• Members
  • 8 posts
To all sifus,

a budget of RM150k, for the choice of NEW Honda CRV and 2005 second hand Toyota Harrier, which will be better choice.

thanks.

duboisi

Posted 02 July 2010 - 01:10 AM

duboisi

Advanced

• Members
  • Pip
  • 72 posts
QUOTE (joesen @ Jul 1 2010, 07:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
To all sifus,
a budget of RM150k, for the choice of NEW Honda CRV and 2005 second hand Toyota Harrier, which will be better choice.
thanks.

I happened to owned these 2 cars before, CRV 08 new and Harrier 05 in yr 08. If you don't need AWD, go for Harrier. The Harrier 2.4 is more powerful, comfortable and spacious. Harrier consume only about 10% more petrol as compare to CRV. During the ownership of Harrier, only done regular maintenance, changed lub every 10k km, 4 tyres at 40k km and change gearbox oil at 50k km. There is no sign of any problem. So it is important to take your time to find a good condition Harrier. Harrier has many optional features. The 2nd hand car dealer told me that the most sort after features are (in random sequence): touch screen, sunroof, 2 electrical seats, electrical adjustable steering, 18" rims, half wood steering and gear shift, reverse camera, body kits and 1 or 2 other features which I don't remember. Original option for JBL sound system is not essential as most buyers will change to DVD players/GPS etc. If you need to pay RM10k-RM15k more to get a Harrier with most of those features, you should try to find this extra budget. Good luck.

joesen

Posted 02 July 2010 - 01:33 PM

joesen

6th Gear

• Members
  • 8 posts
QUOTE (duboisi @ Jul 2 2010, 01:10 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I happened to owned these 2 cars before, CRV 08 new and Harrier 05 in yr 08. If you don't need AWD, go for Harrier. The Harrier 2.4 is more powerful, comfortable and spacious. Harrier consume only about 10% more petrol as compare to CRV. During the ownership of Harrier, only done regular maintenance, changed lub every 10k km, 4 tyres at 40k km and change gearbox oil at 50k km. There is no sign of any problem. So it is important to take your time to find a good condition Harrier. Harrier has many optional features. The 2nd hand car dealer told me that the most sort after features are (in random sequence): touch screen, sunroof, 2 electrical seats, electrical adjustable steering, 18" rims, half wood steering and gear shift, reverse camera, body kits and 1 or 2 other features which I don't remember. Original option for JBL sound system is not essential as most buyers will change to DVD players/GPS etc. If you need to pay RM10k-RM15k more to get a Harrier with most of those features, you should try to find this extra budget. Good luck.

thanks duboisi,

thanks for your informative advice, in fact, i am thinking go for harrier for its powerful, comfortable and spacious, furthermore, Harrier came from the LEXUS family. But most of my friends advice me rather go for NEW CRV reasons due to warantee issue, higher maintenance cost of harrier, and the manufacturing tecnology of Honda can beat 05 harrier (2nd generation). Are they correct?

Beside, what is the difference for the service and maintenance between both cars. In my budget range, below 20% extra expenses for the FC, service and maintenance is acceptable to own a harrier instead of CRV.

i am a newbie in vehicle. please help.

jepakazoid

Posted 02 July 2010 - 02:53 PM

jepakazoid

Taxi Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 365 posts
QUOTE (joesen @ Jul 2 2010, 01:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
thanks duboisi,

thanks for your informative advice, in fact, i am thinking go for harrier for its powerful, comfortable and spacious, furthermore, Harrier came from the LEXUS family. But most of my friends advice me rather go for NEW CRV reasons due to warantee issue, higher maintenance cost of harrier, and the manufacturing tecnology of Honda can beat 05 harrier (2nd generation). Are they correct?

Beside, what is the difference for the service and maintenance between both cars. In my budget range, below 20% extra expenses for the FC, service and maintenance is acceptable to own a harrier instead of CRV.

i am a newbie in vehicle. please help.

if I am in your position, I will go for new CRV. I never trust used cars. Less interest rate, less headache for maintenance and of course Honda second hand value in Malaysia is better than any other cars. Buy new man!! Why pay more for those used cars??

alexT

Posted 02 July 2010 - 06:05 PM

alexT

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 234 posts
y not a pug 3008. dare to b different?

duboisi

Posted 03 July 2010 - 12:37 AM

duboisi

Advanced

• Members
  • Pip
  • 72 posts
All my previous cars were bought new until I bought the recon Harrier. I drove the CRV and Harrier on alternate day. FC wise Harrier is only 10% more thirsty. Maintenance wise I was lucky that there was zero repair during the 2.5yr/30k km ownership of Harrier. Using Mobil 1 lub, it only requires service every 10k km. Tyres size is exactly the same size 17" unless you buy one with 18" then tyres will be more expensive. As for quality of cabin, new CRV is no where near an 05' Harrier. Sound insulation wise, CRV is hopeless with the standard fitted tyres. I have also never encounter any problem during CRV ownership. It is a good "work" car but there is nothing "luxury" about it. Motortrader forum has active discussion on these 2 cars, go and read them up and get answers to your questions from real owners rather than hearsay.
As for HP, interest for recon cars is 0.5% higher than new cars, registered/used cars is 1% higher than new cars. With the good experience from owning recon Harrier, I am currently hunting for either 07 Cayenne 3.6 or 07 X5 3.0 instead of going for E250 CGI or F10 523i. I think the key to buying new or recon is whether you have friends that can assist you to identify a good quality/condition recon. If not go for new cars.

yewshin

Posted 07 August 2010 - 06:17 PM

yewshin

6th Gear

• Members
  • 7 posts
toyota harrier of course... cr-v is crap!! because i owned on ... 2010 May CR-V, underpower, no confident in overtaking at coastal road, bloody noisy ... and underspecs!! get a 2007 toyota harrier, but remember but once you drive a continental (driving experience only), you will never go back to jap SUV/SAV ... even though you will only comes to 'whine' about the maintenance cost of conti ... but the driving alone is so much rewarding, the feel of it.

nhisham

Posted 08 August 2010 - 09:16 PM

nhisham

Probation

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts
I was contemplating to get either CRV or Harrier ... and in the end decided to go for brand new car. Ended up paying an additional 12k for the leather seats, tinted, Modulo specs and DVD/GPS. But overall am satisfied with it. Of course power wise harrier is better but u get a piece of mind not worrying bout hefty bills if yr car breakdown.

Have also driven my brother's 05 Harrier once in while and i have to say that not much different in terms of comfort and cabin sound (long distance driving).

Weigh the pros and cons and u make your own decision bro....

michael05

Posted 22 August 2010 - 01:49 AM

michael05

6th Gear

• Members
  • 8 posts
If I were you I would definitely go for the CRV. In terms of fuel efficiency and handling, CRV is way better. Well, that's just my opinion. Plus, the honda CRV accessories are widely available in local car shops.

STANYEE

Posted 22 August 2010 - 05:32 PM

STANYEE

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
QUOTE (michael05 @ Aug 22 2010, 01:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If I were you I would definitely go for the CRV. In terms of fuel efficiency and handling, CRV is way better. Well, that's just my opinion.

New CRV very under power compare to my ex 2003CBU CRV, Harrier although is 5yrs old recond used car but still is ok & good $ value or good quality compare to CKD new CRV. I tested used recond Harrier before, so i can tell u that, it's really comfortable drive which CRV totally cannot beat it at all . Fuel efficiency for SOHC engine CRV of course better than Harrier, but after i tested drive Hyundai Tucson recently found it much better than CRV in terms of spec & FC & pick up wise. Why not u just go & test it & feel it urself to believe ! Worry about Bad 2nd hand value for the new Tucson in future mindset should change nowadays ! another good choice is coming soon NEW KIA SPORTAGE ! Both the Korean SUV look more handsome & stylish & lansi compare to CRV !

But the only my own opinion, not offence to anyone who r Honda supporter ! Have a nice day !
Yee