Welcome to Autoworld Forum !

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Close
Photo

Bridgestone Ecopia Ep200

• Please log in to reply

flee

Posted 20 January 2014 - 01:27 PM

flee

White Lightning

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,018 posts
QUOTE (Gunnerzz @ Sep 15 2013, 10:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well, the michelin xm is a very durable tyre which have surprising level of grip in wet but normal grip in dry.
Imho, its overpriced.

Bridgestone is a tad cheaper.
If u dont mind a bit of noise, the new ecopia 200 is cheap.
Its a bit noisy compared with xm2 and bridgestone own turanza.
Grip in wet is good enough.
I am currently using this on my waja, size 205/55/16.
Was aiming for gy eagle assym but my rear had another plan of its own by failing for the 3rd and last time hence needing immediate replacement.

Was skeptical at 1st with the eco tyre but after a week it all changed.
Grip level is same as xm2 both wet and dry.
Its also improve fc, kid u not.
Not by much but enough to makes me notice the improvement.

I got mine for rm290 a piece

My friend's car needed a new set of rear tyres. The previous set (Nexen 8000) lasted about 22,000 kms and for the next change, more durable tyres were needed. The Michelin XM2 was too expensive for the 205/55 R16 size - so it was decided that the Ecopia would probably be a good alternative.

In December 2013, I enquired at Hup Shun SS3 (while bringing another friend there for new tyres) and the Ecopia was quoted at RM 280. As such I did not call before hand to ask for the latest price. I got a shock when they told me that the Ecopia is now RM 350. I asked if the price was increased but they said I must have been quoted incorrectly and it might be for 15" tyres and not 16". So I am not sure if there is any answer for the discrepancy.

Anyway, I did a brief test and the Ecopia felt softer than the Nexen tyres. I can only deduce that the sidewalls are less stiff and that probably means that steering won't be as sharp, if fitted to the front (which still has about 25% thread left on C-drive 2's that covered 26,000 kms). I will recommend my friend to use Ecopia at the front too, when the C-drive 2's need replacement so that the Ecopia's fuel economy claims can be verified.

Noise levels are not much different from those of the Nexen. All in all, its not too bad, considering it is a sort of a "downgrade". It would be worth it if the Ecopia can last 30,000 or more kms... smile.gif

Regards,
Flee

oldaudi

Posted 20 January 2014 - 05:25 PM

oldaudi

Taxi Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 396 posts
QUOTE (flee @ Jan 20 2014, 01:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Anyway, I did a brief test and the Ecopia felt softer than the Nexen tyres. I can only deduce that the sidewalls are less stiff and that probably means that steering won't be as sharp, if fitted to the front (which still has about 25% thread left on C-drive 2's that covered 26,000 kms).

is the sidewall softer than the falken ziex912? i don't like 912's softer sidewall when cornering, have to reduce the speed alot...

Gunnerzz

Posted 21 January 2014 - 08:19 AM

Gunnerzz

Tokyo Drifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,102 posts
QUOTE (oldaudi @ Jan 20 2014, 05:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
is the sidewall softer than the falken ziex912? i don't like 912's softer sidewall when cornering, have to reduce the speed alot...

u can still throw it around corner when its dry.its not like there will be a sudden surprise.its soft so a little increase in pressure helps a bit.

mine already 20% worn and noise level increases.
abt the braking in wet,suffice to say that bridgestone did not claim it as a marketing line.its tracking and grips well during wet braking.

DC18

Posted 21 January 2014 - 09:23 AM

DC18

Fast & Furious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,683 posts

I think the ecopia 200 205/55/16 is about RM300.

If is RM350, I would go for GY Efficient Grip or F1D5 or Yoko V551. Klang prices.

Less 25k km already need to change? Have the tyre reach TWI?

vr2turbo

Posted 21 January 2014 - 10:36 AM

vr2turbo

Forum Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 71,443 posts
QUOTE (flee @ Jan 20 2014, 01:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
All in all, its not too bad, considering it is a sort of a "downgrade". It would be worth it if the Ecopia can last 30,000 or more kms... smile.gif

Yup, from UHP for entry level Eco tyres. The Nexen will wear faster, the Eco tyre should give you better durability.... smile_tongue.gif

flee

Posted 21 January 2014 - 09:32 PM

flee

White Lightning

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,018 posts
QUOTE (DC18 @ Jan 21 2014, 09:23 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think the ecopia 200 205/55/16 is about RM300.

If is RM350, I would go for GY Efficient Grip or F1D5 or Yoko V551. Klang prices.

Less 25k km already need to change? Have the tyre reach TWI?

I think Hup Shun SS3 has jacked up prices - GY Triplemax RM 350, C-Drive 2 RM 330 (no stock), GY D5 RM 375. I was not impressed with the Triplemax's thread pattern, so advised my friend to take the Ecopia EP 200 as it was the same price.

Yes, the Nexen N8000 was the third set (of two) and it lasted a little better than previous sets. On average the Nexens cost RM 2.68/100kms.

Yup, thread was down to TWI already.
Regards,
Flee

flee

Posted 21 January 2014 - 09:36 PM

flee

White Lightning

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,018 posts
QUOTE (vr2turbo @ Jan 21 2014, 10:36 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yup, from UHP for entry level Eco tyres. The Nexen will wear faster, the Eco tyre should give you better durability.... smile_tongue.gif

Lets see how long the Ecopia will last at the rear.

The curious combo of C-drive 2 at the front and Ecopia at the back seems to work quite well for now. Might advise my friend to retain the Yoko at the front for sharper steering. I think putting the car on 4 Ecopias may make it a bit too soft...

Regards,
Flee

vr2turbo

Posted 22 January 2014 - 08:16 AM

vr2turbo

Forum Ninja

• Members
  • 71,443 posts
QUOTE (flee @ Jan 21 2014, 09:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think Hup Shun SS3 has jacked up prices - GY Triplemax RM 350, C-Drive 2 RM 330 (no stock), GY D5 RM 375. I was not impressed with the Triplemax's thread pattern, so advised my friend to take the Ecopia EP 200 as it was the same price.

Yes, the Nexen N8000 was the third set (of two) and it lasted a little better than previous sets. On average the Nexens cost RM 2.68/100kms.

Yup, thread was down to TWI already.

The Triplemax should be lower than Efficient Grip but in same category, F1 D5 is UHP category

vr2turbo

Posted 22 January 2014 - 08:18 AM

vr2turbo

Forum Ninja

• Members
  • 71,443 posts
QUOTE (flee @ Jan 21 2014, 09:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Lets see how long the Ecopia will last at the rear.

The curious combo of C-drive 2 at the front and Ecopia at the back seems to work quite well for now. Might advise my friend to retain the Yoko at the front for sharper steering. I think putting the car on 4 Ecopias may make it a bit too soft...

If left in the rear should last a long time if your is FWD.
You mention Ecopia is soft? the C-Drive 2 also have very soft sidewall, so Ecopia is softer?

flee

Posted 22 January 2014 - 05:10 PM

flee

White Lightning

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,018 posts
QUOTE (vr2turbo @ Jan 22 2014, 08:18 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If left in the rear should last a long time if your is FWD.
You mention Ecopia is soft? the C-Drive 2 also have very soft sidewall, so Ecopia is softer?

Nah, this car (Ford Focus) seems to wear everything at the rear faster than at the front! The rear brake pads also wore faster. First set of Nexen N8000s lasted 14K kms. The original Goodyear NCT5 OEM tyres only ran for 21K kms.

Feels like it - but will confirm with my fren after pumping up to the normal tyre pressures. When the car moved from 4x Nexen N8000s to 2x Nexen, 2x C-drive 2, ride quality was not very much different.

However, after moving from 2x Nexen and 2x C-drive 2 to 2x C-drive 2 and 2x Ecopia, the ride felt more comfortable.

Regards,
Flee