Welcome to Autoworld Forum !

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Close
Photo

VW Golf GTI M6

• Please log in to reply

tm8080

Posted 01 March 2010 - 07:04 PM

tm8080

Probation

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts
Pls help - Am a new owner of the VW M6 Golf GTI, am terribly disappointed. I'd ordered the model from Goh Brothers, Penang, Malaysia and received my car recently in Jan 2010.

I am currently experiencing gear box issues with this car. I had encountered this problem twice last week (Wed & Thurs). What happened was that in the midst of driving, the safe mode kicked in, as a result the gear did not engage causing the speed of the car to drop, with a terribly strained sound coming from the engine. I could not even engage the reverse gear even when the car was stationary. Had to stop at the side of the road, turn off the engine and restart the car.

I brought it over to the Service Centre on 27 Feb, for a check up and the mechanic said that their troubleshooting showed that its a sporadic problem hence they cannot escalate the issue to replace the gear box. So i was told to go back and if it happens again bring it back for them to test again. Its extremely dangerous if this happened while i was overtaking another vehicle.

Clearly the message I got from VW wearnes service centre is that they will only take it seriously if this problem occurs again, i.e. they can test it as a permanent fault in the system or if I get into an accident in this vehicle.

By the way, my car is less than 3 months old, just had its first 1000 km service on 10th Feb 2010.

Not recommending anyone to buy this car....I honestly thought it was a to-die-for car. Forget it, despite how great the handling is this car is missing the most important & basic thing, a gear box thats suppose to be key to support its performance!

I can accept the faulty unit with the gear box. worse thing is service centre refuses to fix a this problem. How can this be a driver's issue when its barely 90 days old.

Am terribly disappointed. Please those who've already booked your cars, do take into consideration from both the sales & service aspects of your purchase before you make the final decision ...and those thinking of buying thenew Golf Gti m6, think again...

pat1988

Posted 02 March 2010 - 08:02 AM

pat1988

Fast & Furious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,118 posts
My suggestion is to sell it. Forget about owning this car in Malaysia! The distributor or principal is most important when you spend a substantial amount in cars. Therefore, Mercedes and BMW should be better than most. Yes, they do not have anything like the GTI to sell to you but they are more likely to assist you if you get into any trouble with your car, for example good will warranties, courtesy cars etc. If you like to drive fast, the cheapest fun car now from BMW would be the 325i. Mercedes will have the new C250 in Malaysia soon. That one is a 1.8 turbo, 204hp, 310Nm torque (GTI's is 280Nm) and should get from 0-100 in around 7.5 secs and top out around 240 km/h which is faster than the GTI's top speed. Price around RM288k with navigation. smile_thumbup.gif

ongwc5

Posted 02 March 2010 - 03:39 PM

ongwc5

Taxi Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 497 posts
QUOTE (tm8080 @ Mar 1 2010, 07:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Pls help - Am a new owner of the VW M6 Golf GTI, am terribly disappointed. I'd ordered the model from Goh Brothers, Penang, Malaysia and received my car recently in Jan 2010.

I am currently experiencing gear box issues with this car. I had encountered this problem twice last week (Wed & Thurs). What happened was that in the midst of driving, the safe mode kicked in, as a result the gear did not engage causing the speed of the car to drop, with a terribly strained sound coming from the engine. I could not even engage the reverse gear even when the car was stationary. Had to stop at the side of the road, turn off the engine and restart the car.

I brought it over to the Service Centre on 27 Feb, for a check up and the mechanic said that their troubleshooting showed that its a sporadic problem hence they cannot escalate the issue to replace the gear box. So i was told to go back and if it happens again bring it back for them to test again. Its extremely dangerous if this happened while i was overtaking another vehicle.

Clearly the message I got from VW wearnes service centre is that they will only take it seriously if this problem occurs again, i.e. they can test it as a permanent fault in the system or if I get into an accident in this vehicle.

By the way, my car is less than 3 months old, just had its first 1000 km service on 10th Feb 2010.

Not recommending anyone to buy this car....I honestly thought it was a to-die-for car. Forget it, despite how great the handling is this car is missing the most important & basic thing, a gear box thats suppose to be key to support its performance!

I can accept the faulty unit with the gear box. worse thing is service centre refuses to fix a this problem. How can this be a driver's issue when its barely 90 days old.

Am terribly disappointed. Please those who've already booked your cars, do take into consideration from both the sales & service aspects of your purchase before you make the final decision ...and those thinking of buying thenew Golf Gti m6, think again...

Hi bro, look like is similar fault on gear box, try to print out the recall from HK on the link & show them this so call "sporadic problem" issue! smile_blackeye.gif

http://www.td.gov.hk...9/10000294.html

http://www.td.gov.hk...call/index.html

klakaseram

Posted 02 March 2010 - 06:31 PM

klakaseram

Driver

• Members
  • Pip
  • 40 posts
tm8080, I feel sorry for you. I think your TCU need to be checked. There are cases reported in VW forums, mostly get rectified via TCU software update. Better get the dealer to check again
cheer up biggrin.gif

tm8080

Posted 02 March 2010 - 09:48 PM

tm8080

Probation

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts
Hello Everybody...

Many thanks for the knowledge sharing & the sympathy. I have taken the appropriate actions, any further advise?

By the way... I just confirmed with my dealer that the model which was sold to me is a 2009 model just tells me there's a high possibility that I got the dodgy units.

Any advise further to this, please keep it coming. Do appreciate your kind gestures! Cheers

tm8080

Posted 02 March 2010 - 10:12 PM

tm8080

Probation

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts
Can someone advise how can I get in touch with VW HQ in Germany...

Thanks!

pat1988

Posted 03 March 2010 - 07:50 AM

pat1988

Fast & Furious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,118 posts
QUOTE (tm8080 @ Mar 2 2010, 10:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks!

Try this contact form on their website. They should respond:-

https://www.volkswag...tik/modelle.htx

You mean you did not know which year of car before you paid your money? smile_shock.gif

The reg card will say "tahun dibuat" as either 2009 or 2010. Even if 2010, your car would have been made in 2009 as it takes time to make a car before delivery to you. However, you lose a lot of second hand value if the reg card says 2009 as this date and NOT the registration date is the ONLY date which matters when you sell your car. smile_cool.gif

droll

Posted 03 March 2010 - 09:44 AM

droll

Road Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 577 posts
QUOTE (tm8080 @ Mar 2 2010, 10:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks!
VW HQ in Germany will probably reroute your communications back to Malaysia. Be prepared for that.

There is a branch manager in the VW forums here called Jason. He's attached with FA Wagen. You may want to try your luck with him.

I had the same experience with VW Cars before. Unless the problem can be reproduced consistently, they won't even bother to help you.

tm8080

Posted 03 March 2010 - 08:45 PM

tm8080

Probation

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts
QUOTE (pat1988 @ Mar 3 2010, 07:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Try this contact form on their website. They should respond:-

https://www.volkswag...tik/modelle.htx

You mean you did not know which year of car before you paid your money? smile_shock.gif

The reg card will say "tahun dibuat" as either 2009 or 2010. Even if 2010, your car would have been made in 2009 as it takes time to make a car before delivery to you. However, you lose a lot of second hand value if the reg card says 2009 as this date and NOT the registration date is the ONLY date which matters when you sell your car. smile_cool.gif

I am clear as to when the car was made, as you've pointed, in fact I checked the car registration in the very first place.

I just do not know what MONTH the production. The year does not tell me much plus to me it does not matter as to whether or not the car value drops and which yr etc. Clearly,these days most value of cars will depreciate almost immediately the minute drivers drive their car out of the showroom etc.

QUOTE (droll @ Mar 3 2010, 09:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
VW HQ in Germany will probably reroute your communications back to Malaysia. Be prepared for that.

There is a branch manager in the VW forums here called Jason. He's attached with FA Wagen. You may want to try your luck with him.

I had the same experience with VW Cars before. Unless the problem can be reproduced consistently, they won't even bother to help you.

Thanks heaps.... Yes you are absolutely right =) I have been in contact with Jason, he's been really helpful. Cheers

sk1766

Posted 04 March 2010 - 10:42 AM

sk1766

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 118 posts
QUOTE (tm8080 @ Mar 3 2010, 08:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I am clear as to when the car was made, as you've pointed, in fact I checked the car registration in the very first place.

I just do not know what MONTH the production. The year does not tell me much plus to me it does not matter as to whether or not the car value drops and which yr etc. Clearly,these days most value of cars will depreciate almost immediately the minute drivers drive their car out of the showroom etc.

Thanks heaps.... Yes you are absolutely right =) I have been in contact with Jason, he's been really helpful. Cheers

I hope this is an isolated problem. It would be very unethical for Volkswagen to sell affected cars to Malaysia. Any known problems should have been rectified before selling. Or should quickly notify all owners of the potential fault.

Once i bought Nikon D5000 which had product recall world wide for faulty battery sensor. For reason unknown Nikon Malaysia continued to sell this faulty products in malaysia and expect consumers to find out by themselves. What I do not understand is why this products are still being sold if it is known to be faulty. Very inconvinence to buyers to take back to nikon malaysia to repair/service.

I suppose our consumer rights are too week and our gov not doing enough. Or we as consumer not exercising our rights.

I hope i didn't get faulty unit too as mine 09 mark6. If so i going to make a huge fuss.

TM8080, thanks for highlighting this matter.