Welcome to Autoworld Forum !

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Close
Photo

Saga Blm

• Please log in to reply

jj0000

Posted 12 September 2010 - 02:53 PM

jj0000

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
Hi, all sifus. I'm totally a newbie for car. I started learn about car from this forum few days ago and it's improved alot of my car knowledge, thank you all sifus. Anywhere, i going have a Saga blm (Manual) soon. I had some question, hope all sifus can give some suggestions to me...

While i get the car, i will take the car to replace a set of sport rim 15" immediately. My friends said, it's can be trade-in in higher prices. My questions is, if i change the rim, izzit going affect my suspension system? I shld change absorber and springs as well?

http://forum.autowor...showtopic=92973
I had read this last nite, i just realize if wanna improve balancing, handling and cornering to more stability, have to install stabilizer bar. But i still confusing, shld i install full set? It's Rm1k+, quite expensive. Somemore, i had verify, the saga blm chassis come with:

1. suspension front : MacPherson strut with stabilizer bar
2. suspension rear : Torsion Bean Axle.

I didnt use the car for racing, i just want comfort while i driving on highway, have a good handling and cornering. Cause i always drive fast on the road... rushing my works.. ><

Hope u all can recommend something to me... Thank you very much. (apologize cause my eng weak)

dabdab

Posted 13 September 2010 - 01:19 AM

dabdab

Taxi Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 470 posts
[quote name='jj0000' date='Sep 12 2010, 02:53 PM' post='1602306']
Hi, all sifus. I'm totally a newbie for car. I started learn about car from this forum few days ago and it's improved alot of my car knowledge, thank you all sifus. Anywhere, i going have a Saga blm (Manual) soon. I had some question, hope all sifus can give some suggestions to me...

While i get the car, i will take the car to replace a set of sport rim 15" immediately. My friends said, it's can be trade-in in higher prices. My questions is, if i change the rim, izzit going affect my suspension system? I shld change absorber and springs as well?

http://forum.autowor...showtopic=92973
I had read this last nite, i just realize if wanna improve balancing, handling and cornering to more stability, have to install stabilizer bar. But i still confusing, shld i install full set? It's Rm1k+, quite expensive. Somemore, i had verify, the saga blm chassis come with:

1. suspension front : MacPherson strut with stabilizer bar
2. suspension rear : Torsion Bean Axle.

I didnt use the car for racing, i just want comfort while i driving on highway, have a good handling and cornering. Cause i always drive fast on the road... rushing my works.. ><

first of all im not a sifu, i just jump in here simply because im too a blm owner.
we are here to share or exchange some knowledge and experience.
my advise is jo. when you get your car get a feel for the car, its behavior of what pluses and what minuses.and limitations.
and if you have a friend with moded saga blm with wheels or suspension or exhaust or what ever, take a ride with it or if your friend kind enough they might let you drive it.
so there comes your first impression of what mod means.

and remember every modification will enhance some character or performance of the car and the other side of it it could come with a little unpleasant effect.

so its what u need actually.

briefly.
my car,,using adjustable sport spring. good handling, but its stiff and jarring.
wheel 15 inch 50 series of course a bit heavier but acceptable. if you go for a 16incher the rubber is so expensive.
stabilizer bar? front, the blm has it. rear the beam connected east west could also act as stabilizer bar. i havent yet install one. have to do some research and find some one to testimony this. but i believe anti roll will further improved.

our other friend will be here for some advise and opinion regarding mods

jj0000

Posted 13 September 2010 - 02:10 AM

jj0000

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
Hi, dabdab. I'm very appreciate to get ur replied since i'm waiting for whole day. Thank you smile.gif

U got the point. U just remind me, i shld do that. I means, i have to drive it and experience it 1st when i get the car. Therefore, i only can feel what exactly the different if i change any parts.
But for the rim, i think i have to change it 1st. Since it's can trade-it more higher prices,haha. Saga blm ori wheels come with 185/60/R14, if i change 15"rim, can i use back these wheels? Or i shld change 195/50 ? And i also thinking to be lower my car, shld i change springs as well?

About the bar, u suggest to install Anti-roll bar for blm?

dabdab

Posted 13 September 2010 - 11:29 AM

dabdab

Taxi Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 470 posts
QUOTE (jj0000 @ Sep 13 2010, 02:10 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi, dabdab. I'm very appreciate to get ur replied since i'm waiting for whole day. Thank you smile.gif

U got the point. U just remind me, i shld do that. I means, i have to drive it and experience it 1st when i get the car. Therefore, i only can feel what exactly the different if i change any parts.
But for the rim, i think i have to change it 1st. Since it's can trade-it more higher prices,haha. Saga blm ori wheels come with 185/60/R14, if i change 15"rim, can i use back these wheels? Or i shld change 195/50 ?
====================
should use 195 50 its the most right spec for 15incher on BLM. tyre is around 150rm plus minus a piece.

And i also thinking to be lower my car, shld i change springs as well?
======================
yes, sport spring gives a lower stance, it improves handling for sharp cornering at speed, and good for fast highway without having the car feel like floating.
on the poorly surfaced road its a bit trashy. suspension travel is lesser than the standard so you can have a direct feel for the contour of the road surface. people who are new to this may translate this as low speed discomforting.

=====================
do you mean strut bar, because if anti roll bar is already fitted originally to the BLMs front suspension. or rear beam can act as one.

if it a strut bar its meant for stiffen the chassis from flexing under extreme condition like bump or bottoming or hard cornering.
if it anti roll bar which its already standard, changing antiroll bar means to change for bigger or stiffer torsion for flatter corner and to reducing body sway.
i havent change that since sport spring serve ok for my a little aggresive driving. probally if you want to keep your spring standard OEM but a little flatter for cornering stiffer anti rollbar might help a bit.

vr2turbo

Posted 13 September 2010 - 04:31 PM

vr2turbo

Forum Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 71,443 posts
QUOTE (jj0000 @ Sep 13 2010, 02:10 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

But for the rim, i think i have to change it 1st. Since it's can trade-it more higher prices,haha. Saga blm ori wheels come with 185/60/R14, if i change 15"rim, can i use back these wheels? Or i shld change 195/50 ? And i also thinking to be lower my car, shld i change springs as well?

Good recommendations by bro dabdab. You should get the feel of your car first, then improve on what you think is lacking.
Upgrading the tyres to 195/50/R15 is good, if you are into performance and stability. The con side is the ride will be stiffer/bumpier. If you don't like bumpy ride, the springs and absorbers should be left alone. Any lowering will make you ride suffer.
The 2 bars that have most effect will be the ARB and strut bar. ARB should be standard in the front. In the rears some cars have and some cars don't. If can fit one it is good. ARB are good to control body roll in straights and also in corners.
Strut bar however works more in corners. In not so into it can leave them alone.....

jj0000

Posted 13 September 2010 - 07:32 PM

jj0000

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
Thank you so so much, dab and vr2. Both of u not recommended lowering the car body.. I accept it, since no need to pay for new springs or absorber, i can concentrate on others side =)

About the bar, i think i shld add on front upper strut bar and front ARB lower bar right? Rear no need do any changes since come with Torsion Bean Axle.

1 more thing, do u guys think, 3-Point Fender Bars helpful? Shld i install it as well ? And.. any1 of u change a short shifter ever? i thinking to change it for my car since my car is manual transmission..

vr2turbo

Posted 13 September 2010 - 07:47 PM

vr2turbo

Forum Ninja

• Members
  • 71,443 posts
QUOTE (jj0000 @ Sep 13 2010, 07:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thank you so so much, dab and vr2. Both of u not recommended lowering the car body.. I accept it, since no need to pay for new springs or absorber, i can concentrate on others side =)

About the bar, i think i shld add on front upper strut bar and front ARB lower bar right? Rear no need do any changes since come with Torsion Bean Axle.

1 more thing, do u guys think, 3-Point Fender Bars helpful? Shld i install it as well ? And.. any1 of u change a short shifter ever? i thinking to change it for my car since my car is manual transmission..

I don't mean don't recommend. It depends on your priority and application. Since you mention occasionally fast runs, then I don't see the need for that. You should be enjoying the ride most of the time, right?
As for the bars, as mention ARB and front strut bar are the most effective. Even if torsion beam depends on the link. If still can fit an ARB it is better.
For your info, my ride has modified suspension and brakes that is all to hold my 200 horses. No additional strut bar but original comes with front and rear ARB already..... smile_thumbup.gif

Gunnerzz

Posted 14 September 2010 - 12:34 AM

Gunnerzz

Tokyo Drifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,102 posts
Allow another BLM owner to jump in......
First thing is u need the 195/50/15 wheel.
Shod the rim with good rubber.
Then go hav a feel for the car.
If u dont go ballistic then stop upgrading as i think this is enough.

However i bet u won be satisfied and will agree that the suspension is a little too soft esp the rear.
Skip the spring rubber damper thing as it helps only a little which is good if u dont go mad everyday.
IMHO this rubber is more suitable to whom search for comfort as i feel much better on rough road with it on my rear OE spring.
Consider sport spring(front and rear) like Sapura proride.I dont hav them installed but they made great absorber and spring for the waja.
On the rear u might need the ARB but it wont help by much as its already on torsion beam.

One major thing u should not forget is upgrading the brake pad on both front and rear.
I've done mine on the front.Awaiting budget for the rear.
If u hav an air compressor at home,try shooting some air at the rear drum and watch yourself being laughed by bystander bcoz u will be covered in a puff of black cloud.
The OE pad is good only for normal driving.Its bad for high speed braking and when carrying load.
My front pad now is from Yamamoto.
The bite is great and convincing.
One more reason why i havent upgrade the rear brake shoe oso is bcoz i need size 30 socket to remove the drum.
Its not like our everyday Wira where the drum can be remove after removing the rim.

BTW when u got the rear ARB installed and not satisfied with it,why dont u sell it to me at 1/2 price smile_shy.gif

Gunnerzz

Posted 14 September 2010 - 12:37 AM

Gunnerzz

Tokyo Drifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,102 posts
QUOTE (vr2turbo @ Sep 13 2010, 07:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't mean don't recommend. It depends on your priority and application. Since you mention occasionally fast runs, then I don't see the need for that. You should be enjoying the ride most of the time, right?
As for the bars, as mention ARB and front strut bar are the most effective. Even if torsion beam depends on the link. If still can fit an ARB it is better.
For your info, my ride has modified suspension and brakes that is all to hold my 200 horses. No additional strut bar but original comes with front and rear ARB already..... smile_thumbup.gif

Today still got 200 horses meh?
Maybe few of them got flu already...... smile_big.gif

vr2turbo

Posted 14 September 2010 - 09:32 AM

vr2turbo

Forum Ninja

• Members
  • 71,443 posts
QUOTE (Gunnerzz @ Sep 14 2010, 12:34 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
On the rear u might need the ARB but it wont help by much as its already on torsion beam.
BTW when u got the rear ARB installed and not satisfied with it,why dont u sell it to me at 1/2 price smile_shy.gif

It depends on the setup. My VR if not mistaken same type of rear suspension. ARB helps stabilize the left and right sides.
Wah! asking for 1/2 price...... smile_big.gif

QUOTE (Gunnerzz @ Sep 14 2010, 12:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Today still got 200 horses meh?
Maybe few of them got flu already...... smile_big.gif

On paper.......Real horses no more loh! 180 maybe..... smile_big.gif