Welcome to Autoworld Forum !

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Close
Photo

Vios Gearbox

• Please log in to reply

nextvios

Posted 29 October 2009 - 02:39 PM

nextvios

Tokyo Drifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,734 posts
Need advice. Thanks in advance.

My Vios is 5 year old and done about 125000km.

Problem came up 2 days ago.

I think it can't engage the 4th gear. On highway, after smoothly exceeding about 70~80kph, it like gone into neutral, engine just over-rev on its own. I slow down and then there is a jerk, presumingly engaging back to 3rd gear.

So for the past 2 days, I have been driving very slowly even on empty opened roads.

Where should I send to check. Just check first and if really major, will decide later whether to send back to Toyota or not. Understand that the gearchange is electronic and if so, will non-Toyota authorised workshop be able to check?

There is no funny sound coming from the gearbox. ATF changed about 10000km ago with Toyota original. How long will a Toyota gearbox usually last?

simonlim

Posted 29 October 2009 - 03:29 PM

simonlim

Tokyo Drifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,578 posts
QUOTE (nextvios @ Oct 29 2009, 02:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Need advice. Thanks in advance.

My Vios is 5 year old and done about 125000km.

Problem came up 2 days ago.

I think it can't engage the 4th gear. On highway, after smoothly exceeding about 70~80kph, it like gone into neutral, engine just over-rev on its own. I slow down and then there is a jerk, presumingly engaging back to 3rd gear.

So for the past 2 days, I have been driving very slowly even on empty opened roads.

Where should I send to check. Just check first and if really major, will decide later whether to send back to Toyota or not. Understand that the gearchange is electronic and if so, will non-Toyota authorised workshop be able to check?

There is no funny sound coming from the gearbox. ATF changed about 10000km ago with Toyota original. How long will a Toyota gearbox usually last?

ur problem sound like a special case. my mum's vios is 4 years old, clocked 92k km. but there are no problems at all. i suggest u send ur car back to UMWT as vios is not an old car on the road and the GB is with super ECT so maybe UMWT has the gadgets to find out the problem. let them check first and see what is the solution. this vios's engine and GB should be very lasting and clocking 125k km is no problem ( that's why they put the same engine and GB in the new vios ). we have kakis here clocking more mileage than ur car and yet they are still driving hard.
<SiMoN LiM>
Toyota Camry 2.4V ACV30

alldisc

Posted 29 October 2009 - 05:24 PM

alldisc

Tokyo Drifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,705 posts
hi, there is nothing we should worry when we stick to the standard periodic maitnenance.

fyi, toyota recommends ATF change at every 40K and it can be either drain and top up or complete flushing.

if the car was maintained by independent workshop but claim using genuine ATF fluid, there are still doubt about it as there are a lot of imitation products in the market nowadays.

the bottle may look genuine (plastics are easy to manfacture) and it may have genuine packaging (even look-alike sticker) but the fluid maybe a recycled product....

wish u all the best!!

btw, vios is known to have a very, very high reliability auto tranny - which explains why the new model retains the same unit.

nextvios

Posted 29 October 2009 - 05:51 PM

nextvios

Tokyo Drifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,734 posts
Thanks for the reply.

For the famed Toyota reliability, to me, that only mean it has lesser defects compare to other makes and I could be the unlucky one falling into the small percentage. My alternator spoilt within a few months of getting the car.

My car is already 5, first 2 years serviced at Toyota and the last 3 years at the same workshop. So on the issue of imitation ATF, if the workshop boss is really unscrupulous, he would have ran away a long time ago.

ring

Posted 30 October 2009 - 03:15 PM

ring

Fast & Furious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,628 posts
QUOTE (nextvios @ Oct 29 2009, 05:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
....the issue of imitation ATF, if the workshop boss is really unscrupulous, he would have ran away a long time ago.

The workshop owner may just lost an EPL betting worth a few hundred thousands, so to recover they do some hanky-panky thing in their business. Well, the owner will be smarter not to "attack" regular car owner but target one-off customer.

Ring

"IDEMITSU engine oil and YUASA Battery...A truely Japanese quality product"

simonlim

Posted 30 October 2009 - 03:43 PM

simonlim

Tokyo Drifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,578 posts
QUOTE (nextvios @ Oct 29 2009, 05:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks for the reply.

For the famed Toyota reliability, to me, that only mean it has lesser defects compare to other makes and I could be the unlucky one falling into the small percentage. My alternator spoilt within a few months of getting the car.

My car is already 5, first 2 years serviced at Toyota and the last 3 years at the same workshop. So on the issue of imitation ATF, if the workshop boss is really unscrupulous, he would have ran away a long time ago.

anyway, recommend u to go back to UMWT to get the checkings done with confirmation of the problem. when it comes to GB oil and parts, i prefer UMW to be safe. i pay more but i get quality, durability and peace of mind smile_approve.gif
<SiMoN LiM>
Toyota Camry 2.4V ACV30

alldisc

Posted 31 October 2009 - 10:00 AM

alldisc

Tokyo Drifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,705 posts
QUOTE (simonlim @ Oct 30 2009, 03:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
anyway, recommend u to go back to UMWT to get the checkings done with confirmation of the problem. when it comes to GB oil and parts, i prefer UMW to be safe. i pay more but i get quality, durability and peace of mind smile_approve.gif

yeah, peace of mind is what we are all looking for.
after all, if we could afford an 80K car, why not extra 50-60 ringgit for servicing??

nextvios

Posted 01 November 2009 - 01:19 AM

nextvios

Tokyo Drifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,734 posts
QUOTE (alldisc @ Oct 31 2009, 10:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
yeah, peace of mind is what we are all looking for.
after all, if we could afford an 80K car, why not extra 50-60 ringgit for servicing??

Bro, if it is spoilt GB, the extra won't be 50~60.... smile_disapprove.gif

simonlim

Posted 01 November 2009 - 08:49 AM

simonlim

Tokyo Drifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,578 posts
QUOTE (nextvios @ Nov 1 2009, 01:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Bro, if it is spoilt GB, the extra won't be 50~60.... smile_disapprove.gif

he meant for normal services, charges of UMWSC are well-known to be higher compared to outside workshops or under-the-tree mechanic.
<SiMoN LiM>
Toyota Camry 2.4V ACV30

jwalker86

Posted 11 January 2010 - 07:39 PM

jwalker86

Advanced

• Members
  • Pip
  • 70 posts
QUOTE (simonlim @ Oct 30 2009, 03:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

just curious how much did u spent on servicing ur gb in umwt?