Welcome to Autoworld Forum !

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Close
Photo

Proton Preve' Test Drive

• Please log in to reply

mubienh

Posted 17 April 2012 - 02:08 PM

mubienh

Advanced

• Members
  • Pip
  • 53 posts

I test drove Preve cvt today. My younger sister is looking for c segment car so I follow her.

It is designed by a former bmw man? Well, I find the Preve not as nearly as quiet, not as good looking, not as luxurious interior as bmw 3 series.

But when I heard the confirm price, it is like a bargain. (72k)

Preve drive better on the highway than Mazda 2, Vios and Civic. Continental ride feel and better useful interior space than all here. Got a booster for overtaking and get back to normal for maintaining good fuel economy. Worked well during testing.
My sister would have signed today for this car but she is so taken by the all new Hyundai Elantra styling so must test that one soon.
smile_big.gif

fks2346

Posted 17 April 2012 - 03:26 PM

fks2346

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
QUOTE (mubienh @ Apr 17 2012, 02:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I find the Preve not as nearly as quiet as bmw 3 series.

I think bmw is totally different category.
What do you think if compare to Korean and Jap C segments?

mubienh

Posted 17 April 2012 - 06:21 PM

mubienh

Advanced

• Members
  • Pip
  • 53 posts

The project ic for Preve used to work for bmw.

I have a bmw so I am making a point of reference only.

I liked the Preve handling more than the cars mentioned. Vios, Civic and Mazda 2.
It feels right. If you can appreciate bmw 3 driving manners on the road, then Preve comes close and priced very attractively at rm72,000.
Styling wise is not in the same league as the new Elantra which is why my sis is still hesitant.
We are going to try the (dearer) new Elantra (rm 96,000) this weekend.

fks2346

Posted 17 April 2012 - 07:26 PM

fks2346

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
I am old man style driver and don't really care much about handling.
But I am particular about noise and actually wanted to ask your experience in this.
Thanks.

ryder

Posted 17 April 2012 - 07:37 PM

ryder

Taxi Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 406 posts
QUOTE (mubienh @ Apr 17 2012, 06:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The project ic for Preve used to work for bmw.

I have a bmw so I am making a point of reference only.

I liked the Preve handling more than the cars mentioned. Vios, Civic and Mazda 2.
It feels right. If you can appreciate bmw 3 driving manners on the road, then Preve comes close and priced very attractively at rm72,000.
Styling wise is not in the same league as the new Elantra which is why my sis is still hesitant.
We are going to try the (dearer) new Elantra (rm 96,000) this weekend.

Re. Preve and the new Elantra
Personally I think the new Elantra is overpriced in comparison to vehicles of similar class, and the Preve is at a pretty unbeatable value at the moment. The Elantra 1.8 has a 108k price tag. I believe the 96k Elantra you are referring to is the discounted price of the 1.8.

Styling is subjective as both Preve and Elantra are equally good looking. Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder, and the final choice will be down to personal preference. The Elantra's curves especially the rear tail light looks more feminine in comparison to the more macho Preve. I believe the Elantra's styling will appeal more to ladies.

As for performance and driving dynamics, although I have not driven both, perhaps the Preve will have the advantage here having the Lotus dna. The handling of the Preve being further tuned by Proton's in-house engineers(and perhaps with foreign expert's involvement), it may be the best handling vehicle Proton has come up with, as confirmed by early test drives of the early reviewers. As with the Elantra, the 1.8-litre engine will be less powerful than the 1.6 turbocharged CFE engine of the Preve. I have also read about the body-roll and soft suspension of it when taking corners at considerable speeds which hampered a more spirited and dynamic drive experience. Guess you'll be able to come up with your own conclusion once you've test-driven the Elantra this weekend.

I have driven my cousin's BMW 320i sometime last year when he came over to our place, though at speeds below 80km/h around our housing area. Have to say the steering feel and weight are on another level in comparison to the Japs(and Protons). The dashboard, layout of buttons and fittings are higher in standard with minimal gap and tight tolerances. I'm not surprised the driving dynamics of the Preve is superior to the bread and butter Vios and Mazda2 models. I believe most who chose Vios are only into the Toyota badge and good fuel consumption. In terms of spec and driving dynamics they are way down the ladder even when comparison is made to the cheaper Protons.

The Preve's performance is better than Civic and close to BMW? It must be something really special then. At RM73k surely a bargain.

ryder

Posted 17 April 2012 - 07:44 PM

ryder

Taxi Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 406 posts
QUOTE (fks2346 @ Apr 17 2012, 07:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I am old man style driver and don't really care much about handling.
But I am particular about noise and actually wanted to ask your experience in this.
Thanks.

Autoworld reviewer "The Gunner" has driven the IAFM and CFE high-specced model of the Preve. Apparently the IAFM model was reported to be quite noisy at higher speed levels with the engine noise intruding into the cabin. This was concurred by other local motor reviewers(Chip Yaps of Motortrader as well).

The higher-spec'ed CFE turbocharged model is claimed to have lower noise levels. Proton may have put in more sound insulation material on this higher-spec'ed model.

fkmfkm

Posted 17 April 2012 - 08:53 PM

fkmfkm

White Lightning

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,021 posts
QUOTE (ryder @ Apr 17 2012, 07:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Re. Preve and the new Elantra
Personally I think the new Elantra is overpriced in comparison to vehicles of similar class, and the Preve is at a pretty unbeatable value at the moment. The Elantra 1.8 has a 108k price tag. I believe the 96k Elantra you are referring to is the discounted price of the 1.8.

Styling is subjective as both Preve and Elantra are equally good looking. Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder, and the final choice will be down to personal preference. The Elantra's curves especially the rear tail light looks more feminine in comparison to the more macho Preve. I believe the Elantra's styling will appeal more to ladies.

As for performance and driving dynamics, although I have not driven both, perhaps the Preve will have the advantage here having the Lotus dna. The handling of the Preve being further tuned by Proton's in-house engineers(and perhaps with foreign expert's involvement), it may be the best handling vehicle Proton has come up with, as confirmed by early test drives of the early reviewers. As with the Elantra, the 1.8-litre engine will be less powerful than the 1.6 turbocharged CFE engine of the Preve. I have also read about the body-roll and soft suspension of it when taking corners at considerable speeds which hampered a more spirited and dynamic drive experience. Guess you'll be able to come up with your own conclusion once you've test-driven the Elantra this weekend.

I have driven my cousin's BMW 320i sometime last year when he came over to our place, though at speeds below 80km/h around our housing area. Have to say the steering feel and weight are on another level in comparison to the Japs(and Protons). The dashboard, layout of buttons and fittings are higher in standard with minimal gap and tight tolerances. I'm not surprised the driving dynamics of the Preve is superior to the bread and butter Vios and Mazda2 models. I believe most who chose Vios are only into the Toyota badge and good fuel consumption. In terms of spec and driving dynamics they are way down the ladder even when comparison is made to the cheaper Protons.

The Preve's performance is better than Civic and close to BMW? It must be something really special then. At RM73k surely a bargain.

you compare like this all other cars will be overprice jor ....

fks2346

Posted 17 April 2012 - 09:12 PM

fks2346

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
QUOTE (ryder @ Apr 17 2012, 07:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Autoworld reviewer "The Gunner" has driven the IAFM and CFE high-specced model of the Preve. Apparently the IAFM model was reported to be quite noisy at higher speed levels with the engine noise intruding into the cabin. This was concurred by other local motor reviewers(Chip Yaps of Motortrader as well).

The higher-spec'ed CFE turbocharged model is claimed to have lower noise levels. Proton may have put in more sound insulation material on this higher-spec'ed model.

I have also read the reviews and know CFE is quieter.
But it is comparison to noisy IAFM.
Just want to know the comparison to others.

judo

Posted 18 April 2012 - 05:40 AM

judo

Driver

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts

I also test the car yesterday. Ours is the cfe premium mod. I thought it was fairly quiet until accelerating hard then engine noise become louder but nicer sound than Civic la.

ryder

Posted 18 April 2012 - 07:57 AM

ryder

Taxi Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 406 posts
Engine noise in hard acceleration will be louder with any vehicles as the rpm goes up to 4000 or higher. Though the better insulated cars(or a more refined engine growl from more powerful or better engines) will produce a "nicer" sound when the pedal is floored.

I believe the important criteria for most people are on comfort and NVH aspects when maintaining a speed of say 110km/h to 130km/h on the highways. At these higher speed levels it is desirable to have a car that is still fairly quiet and possesses good noise insulation either from the engine, road or wind.