Welcome to Autoworld Forum !

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Close
Photo

Honda Civic Hybrid

• Please log in to reply

TheGunner

Posted 01 November 2010 - 06:01 PM

TheGunner

Knight Rider

• Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,953 posts
OK, people. The Civic Hybrid is now available for below RM110k. Any takers? Honda Civic Hybrid dips below RM110k
The Gunner

Proud to be a Gunner

magura

Posted 02 November 2010 - 04:01 PM

magura

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 152 posts
QUOTE (TheGunner @ Nov 1 2010, 06:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
OK, people. The Civic Hybrid is now available for below RM110k. Any takers? Honda Civic Hybrid dips below RM110k

The Civic Hybrid looks interesting now.....wt the ever increasing price of fuel and attractive pricing (same as a Polo). Good Value for money! Save on fuel and $$$$

I'm interested!

rabpaul

Posted 03 November 2010 - 05:31 PM

rabpaul

Fast & Furious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,005 posts
QUOTE (magura @ Nov 2 2010, 04:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The Civic Hybrid looks interesting now.....wt the ever increasing price of fuel and attractive pricing (same as a Polo). Good Value for money! Save on fuel and $$$$

I have been spending quite some time looking at the Civic Hybrid and comparing it with the Prius.
On paper and comparing $$$, Civic IMO is ahead.
I have only one problem not just with the Civic but with Prius also.
Yes you can save petrol but what happens after 10 years assuming of course the battery lasts that long?
My calculation based on my mileage says I can save $1.1K per year which after ten years is $11K
If the cost of the replacement battery is $10K (it may be even more in 10 years) then I save only 1K, this is assuming petrol prices don't change of course and not taking into account inflation etc.
You guys think its still worth it and I am not talking about the environment.

darreltian

Posted 03 November 2010 - 05:53 PM

darreltian

Tokyo Drifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,823 posts
QUOTE (TheGunner @ Nov 1 2010, 06:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

i definitely will consider if the hybrid not assemble at the 'elephant' plant...coz the cbu civic from japan has better NVH

shermansee

Posted 03 November 2010 - 06:31 PM

shermansee

Advanced

• Members
  • Pip
  • 74 posts
QUOTE (rabpaul @ Nov 3 2010, 05:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have been spending quite some time looking at the Civic Hybrid and comparing it with the Prius.
Yes you can save petrol but what happens after 10 years assuming of course the battery lasts that long?
My calculation based on my mileage says I can save $1.1K per year which after ten years is $11K
If the cost of the replacement battery is $10K (it may be even more in 10 years) then I save only 1K, this is assuming petrol prices don't change of course and not taking into account inflation etc.

How do you calculate the savings of RM 1.1k/year? Numbers do look small.

Battery I think cost about RM 7k+?

rabpaul

Posted 04 November 2010 - 12:03 AM

rabpaul

Fast & Furious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,005 posts
QUOTE (shermansee @ Nov 3 2010, 06:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
How do you calculate the savings of RM 1.1k/year? Numbers do look small.

Battery I think cost about RM 7k+?

Currently spend 25L travelling 300Km per week i.e 12Km/L about i.e 100L per month or RM185 per month. Its a 1L car.
I believe with the Hybrid, this cost will be half i.e 24Km/L so RM92.5 per month x 12 = RM1.1K per year.
Just saw the Malay Mail review which suggest a more realistic 20Km/L but I believe 24Km/L may well be possible given the my traffic conditions.

My typical journey is:
15 minutes (6Km) to get to highway.
10 minutes (16Km) on highway.
15 minutes (8Km) to get to office from highway.
Total of 30Km x 2 per day, 5 days a week = 300Km

QUOTE (HC2iVTEC @ Jan 4 2010, 10:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Cost of the whole set of battery packs could set u back > RM 10k..... but the batteries are expected to last > 10 years.

Price of battery is from the post above mentioned in this thread.

fox68

Posted 04 November 2010 - 07:43 AM

fox68

Taxi Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 301 posts
QUOTE (rabpaul @ Nov 3 2010, 05:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

After 10 years and you are still keeping this car? Most Malaysians would trade in for a newer car by 5 years according to the trend. Even houses are sold off for profit after 10 years...realistically, Jap cars do not outlast Euro cars due to their structure and you would have benefited from the years of use. Assuming that you are a retired pensioner now, the above may not work for you...however most 30-40 year olds are apt to part with their cars in less than 10 years as the heartis more interested in newer models...psychologically that is.. smile.gif

The technology in batteries would have leapfrogged by 10 years and you may even pay less than 5k..remember metal hydrid batteries and nickel-cadmium ones? All replaced by Lithium ion and what else is newer..so cost will be different an eon from now...btw Civic and Prius are designed differently as the Prius can run on batteries before the main gasoline engine kicks in. You would be better off comparing the Insight and the Prius as both technology are about the same. Let's hope our govt abolishes road tax for hybrids as that would be better for those who care for the environment...besides how do you tax a fully hybrid car, by size of the cells?

ejan_

Posted 04 November 2010 - 10:04 AM

ejan_

Taxi Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 311 posts
i'm almost put booking for this model.. sure long queue if not booking now.

- battery also my concern (yup, maybe will sold this car after 5-7 years)..
- CBU japan far better.. do not forget about 4 air-bags..

But Honda will also bring-in Insight soon.. and this Civic design almost end of cycle (facelift coming) make me hold the booking..

Further analysis... found that Ford also will bring Focus TDCi 2011 soon which is better look, superb fuel consumption (diesel), more torque compare hybrid car...

Probably only decide before feb 2011.. no rushing..

rabpaul

Posted 04 November 2010 - 10:28 AM

rabpaul

Fast & Furious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,005 posts
QUOTE (fox68 @ Nov 4 2010, 07:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
After 10 years and you are still keeping this car? Most Malaysians would trade in for a newer car by 5 years according to the trend. Even houses are sold off for profit after 10 years...realistically, Jap cars do not outlast Euro cars due to their structure and you would have benefited from the years of use. Assuming that you are a retired pensioner now, the above may not work for you...however most 30-40 year olds are apt to part with their cars in less than 10 years as the heartis more interested in newer models...psychologically that is.. smile.gif

The technology in batteries would have leapfrogged by 10 years and you may even pay less than 5k..remember metal hydrid batteries and nickel-cadmium ones? All replaced by Lithium ion and what else is newer..so cost will be different an eon from now...btw Civic and Prius are designed differently as the Prius can run on batteries before the main gasoline engine kicks in. You would be better off comparing the Insight and the Prius as both technology are about the same. Let's hope our govt abolishes road tax for hybrids as that would be better for those who care for the environment...besides how do you tax a fully hybrid car, by size of the cells?

You will still "pay" for this battery indirectly as any buyer of the say a 5 year old Hybrid will "discount" the value of the replacement battery.
Insight is something in between Civic and City.
Although on paper the Prius runs on battery first rather than the engine, the difference is FC is perhaps at best 10% better.
You also pay RM30K more for it and that in itself wipes out any difference in FC advantage that the Prius may have.

lionelstep

Posted 08 November 2010 - 02:43 PM

lionelstep

Taxi Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 324 posts
QUOTE (ejan_ @ Nov 4 2010, 10:04 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i'm almost put booking for this model.. sure long queue if not booking now.

- battery also my concern (yup, maybe will sold this car after 5-7 years)..
- CBU japan far better.. do not forget about 4 air-bags..

But Honda will also bring-in Insight soon.. and this Civic design almost end of cycle (facelift coming) make me hold the booking..

Further analysis... found that Ford also will bring Focus TDCi 2011 soon which is better look, superb fuel consumption (diesel), more torque compare hybrid car...

Probably only decide before feb 2011.. no rushing..

Good choice to wait for Ford Focus TDCI new model, no battery worry, and price about there at Honda Civic Hybrid, so fun some more to have 320Nm of torque at 2000 rpm, picking up is so fast makes overtaking cars and dragons on the road a breeze. Fuel consumption so cool, 5.8L/100km, and diesel price is also lower than gasoline. Just not sure what is diesel engine road tax compared to the same cc gasoline engine ?