Welcome to Autoworld Forum !

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Close
Photo

Ssangyong Stavic Anyone

• Please log in to reply

SuperKop

Posted 09 October 2010 - 11:08 PM

SuperKop

Driver

• Members
  • Pip
  • 44 posts
Dear All,

Thx for replies, you guys really keep the public's faith in Korean makes.

I must say I'm impressed by Rexton Hub and other similar research shared on Korean cars service centres. Definitely gets me considering Korean makes like Stavic for example. The Stavic is lower than Starex, more powerful and enjoys the benefits of Mercedes engine and transmission. Forgive my ignorance and sketicism but how do you make a spacious family vehicle with a Mercedes engine and trasnmission so reasonably priced? Other than the Korean company going bankrupt is there anything to be careful of? Are they trying to get rid of all the Stavics? My opinion is that they should continue producing but maybe with an Indian name but that's still ok. At least we know there will still be parts.

Based on logic (thinking with head not with heart), the Stavic is really a good deal in my mind. Not the luxurious or exclusive profile of Alphard or Estima or Elysion but at 99k, that's a lot of money to save if one is not particular about "face".
Enjoy Life!

r3xt0n

Posted 10 October 2010 - 02:32 PM

r3xt0n

White Lightning

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,148 posts
QUOTE (SuperKop @ Oct 9 2010, 11:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Dear All,

Thx for replies, you guys really keep the public's faith in Korean makes.

I must say I'm impressed by Rexton Hub and other similar research shared on Korean cars service centres. Definitely gets me considering Korean makes like Stavic for example. The Stavic is lower than Starex, more powerful and enjoys the benefits of Mercedes engine and transmission. Forgive my ignorance and sketicism but how do you make a spacious family vehicle with a Mercedes engine and trasnmission so reasonably priced? Other than the Korean company going bankrupt is there anything to be careful of? Are they trying to get rid of all the Stavics? My opinion is that they should continue producing but maybe with an Indian name but that's still ok. At least we know there will still be parts.

Stavic was initially sold for RM170K+ as CBU, price inflated by import duty. The current price of RM99k is most likely result of local assembly but there is no news published to confirm this. By sharing major components with Rexton 270XDI, there shouldn't be any concern of parts availability.

Mahindra taken over Ssangyong and plan to run production and assembly in India but it is unlikely to change Ssangyong brand as it is established in western country for SUV. Things looks positive for Ssangyong with recent launch of new model, Korando C and Rexton 2.0 litre.

Based on logic (thinking with head not with heart), the Stavic is really a good deal in my mind. Not the luxurious or exclusive profile of Alphard or Estima or Elysion but at 99k, that's a lot of money to save if one is not particular about "face".

Korean car is always priced very competitive offering more feature rich comparing to its Japanese peers. Korean brandings are gaining recognition and taking lead in their fields like Hyundai, KIA, Samsung & LG. Alphard, Estima or Elysion belongs to full size MPV comparable with Starex. Stavic is considered mid-size MPV in the range with Naza Ria, Toyota Innova, Honda Stream, Toyota Wish, etc..

SuperKop

Posted 10 October 2010 - 02:46 PM

SuperKop

Driver

• Members
  • Pip
  • 44 posts

Korean car is always priced very competitive offering more feature rich comparing to its Japanese peers. Korean brandings are gaining recognition and taking lead in their fields like Hyundai, KIA, Samsung & LG. Alphard, Estima or Elysion belongs to full size MPV comparable with Starex. Stavic is considered mid-size MPV in the range with Naza Ria, Toyota Innova, Honda Stream, Toyota Wish, etc..
[/quote]

Thx, makes a lot of sense. And u know what, compared to the other Jap mid size MPVs, it still has more space and still cheaper, sounds more n more like a good deal to me.

As for the full sized MPVs, in terms of seating Stavic has 11 seats and can seat 6 adults in comfort with sapce at the back. Of course in terms of total size, it's less but more size means bigger vehicle, and without driver means bigger driving challenge.

Hope to test drive the Stavic soon, just so busy lately.
Enjoy Life!

r3xt0n

Posted 10 October 2010 - 02:58 PM

r3xt0n

White Lightning

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,148 posts
QUOTE (SuperKop @ Oct 10 2010, 02:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thx, makes a lot of sense. And u know what, compared to the other Jap mid size MPVs, it still has more space and still cheaper, sounds more n more like a good deal to me.

As for the full sized MPVs, in terms of seating Stavic has 11 seats and can seat 6 adults in comfort with sapce at the back. Of course in terms of total size, it's less but more size means bigger vehicle, and without driver means bigger driving challenge.

Hope to test drive the Stavic soon, just so busy lately.

11 seats on Stavic is abit cramp, perhaps 8 seaters will be better but no harm of having all the seats available when you need it. Beside space, most importantly is the engine power, fuel economy and comfort. Rexton 270XDI fuel consumption is about 9km~10km/litre City Drive to 10~12km/litre on highway which can easily travel more than 500km~600km with RM100 diesel which is very good comparing with other SUV of its size and engine.

SuperKop

Posted 10 October 2010 - 07:21 PM

SuperKop

Driver

• Members
  • Pip
  • 44 posts
QUOTE (r3xt0n @ Oct 10 2010, 02:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

11 seats on Stavic is abit cramp, perhaps 8 seaters will be better but no harm of having all the seats available when you need it. Beside space, most importantly is the engine power, fuel economy and comfort. Rexton 270XDI fuel consumption is about 9km~10km/litre City Drive to 10~12km/litre on highway which can easily travel more than 500km~600km with RM100 diesel which is very good comparing with other SUV of its size and engine.

Why do you drive a Rexton? Because you want to move people and still retain the 4x4 feel? What is a direct competitor to the rexton? Pajero Sport? But in terms of comfort, I guess it is MPV and in terms of fun it is 4x4?

Of all the higher end MPVs (those with power doors) Mazda 8 seems to be pricing in direct competition against the Alphards and Estimas but if you talk about Stavic vs Starex I would pick Stavic. Rexton vs Fortuner vs Pajero Sport, I guess the Rexton wins? And Pajero Sport comes 2nd? I hear the Fortuner is not comfortable.
Enjoy Life!

r3xt0n

Posted 10 October 2010 - 09:57 PM

r3xt0n

White Lightning

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,148 posts
QUOTE (SuperKop @ Oct 10 2010, 07:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Why do you drive a Rexton? Because you want to move people and still retain the 4x4 feel? What is a direct competitor to the rexton? Pajero Sport? But in terms of comfort, I guess it is MPV and in terms of fun it is 4x4?

I like Rexton outlook (4x4 Full Size SUV that do not looks too boxish), its 7 seaters, Merc engine and transmission and most importantly value for money (RM60K+ for a 2006). I find MPV too family oriented and looks odd to drive around alone. MPV provide more space comfort and not as high, but Rexton is pretty good in road handling and comfort too. Of course, with a 4X4 SUV you are ready for any road condition without worry. Another important factor is Rexton 270XDI is full time 2WD and 4WD on demand.

Full Size SUV 4X4 with 7 seaters include Mitsubishi Pajero Sport (RM160k), Toyota Fortuner (RM166K) and Chevrolet Captiva (RM150k+) at close price range.

Of all the higher end MPVs (those with power doors) Mazda 8 seems to be pricing in direct competition against the Alphards and Estimas but if you talk about Stavic vs Starex I would pick Stavic. Rexton vs Fortuner vs Pajero Sport, I guess the Rexton wins? And Pajero Sport comes 2nd? I hear the Fortuner is not comfortable.

Fortuner sit on the same platform as Hilux that sell at half of its price, so that explained a lot on its comfort and road handling. Rexton surely offer more features and gadgets than Pajero Sport but Pajero Sport is about RM15k cheaper and has better brand recognition, especially Pajero in 4X4. Have not driven a Pajero Sports before, so could comment much on it but my experience with old Pajero is really poor in acceleration, road handling, etc..

byebye2u

Posted 10 October 2010 - 10:26 PM

byebye2u

Tokyo Drifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,805 posts
QUOTE (r3xt0n @ Oct 10 2010, 09:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I like Rexton outlook (4x4 Full Size SUV that do not looks too boxish), its 7 seaters, Merc engine and transmission and most importantly value for money (RM60K+ for a 2006). I find MPV too family oriented and looks odd to drive around alone. MPV provide more space comfort and not as high, but Rexton is pretty good in road handling and comfort too. Of course, with a 4X4 SUV you are ready for any road condition without worry. Another important factor is Rexton 270XDI is full time 2WD and 4WD on demand.

Full Size SUV 4X4 with 7 seaters include Mitsubishi Pajero Sport (RM160k), Toyota Fortuner (RM166K) and Chevrolet Captiva (RM150k+) at close price range.

agree with you bro.
not just that, the sense of safety with that ladder frame chasis and all the solid metal plus the diesel economy.

with 5 piston configuration the engine is much smoother compare to pajero sport, fortuner and captiva.

in term of comfort, I haven't driven the other 3...but of course a single platform chasis will give a car like feeling and comfort.

Fortuner sit on the same platform as Hilux that sell at half of its price, so that explained a lot on its comfort and road handling. Rexton surely offer more features and gadgets than Pajero Sport but Pajero Sport is about RM15k cheaper and has better brand recognition, especially Pajero in 4X4. Have not driven a Pajero Sports before, so could comment much on it but my experience with old Pajero is really poor in acceleration, road handling, etc..

I read somewhere that pajero sport sound insulation not quite good...but surely can be improve with after market product.

SuperKop

Posted 10 October 2010 - 11:01 PM

SuperKop

Driver

• Members
  • Pip
  • 44 posts
QUOTE (r3xt0n @ Oct 10 2010, 09:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I know what you mean, MPV for family, practical purpose, not for fun. I was looking at recon Estima then the Mazda 8 came out but a about RM160k++ for estima and RM195k for Mazda 8, means eat bread and water. But with the Stavic, can keep the family happy and with the money saved later maybe can look for a second hand fun car as a personal project.

I think Fortuner and Pajero Sport are both truck chassis. So Stavic wins again (although not on looks).

I read somewhere that pajero sport sound insulation not quite good...but surely can be improve with after market product.

In that case spend a bit of money can make Stavic more upmarket too?

Enjoy Life!

r3xt0n

Posted 10 October 2010 - 11:22 PM

r3xt0n

White Lightning

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,148 posts
QUOTE (SuperKop @ Oct 10 2010, 11:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I know what you mean, MPV for family, practical purpose, not for fun. I was looking at recon Estima then the Mazda 8 came out but a about RM160k++ for estima and RM195k for Mazda 8, means eat bread and water. But with the Stavic, can keep the family happy and with the money saved later maybe can look for a second hand fun car as a personal project.

I think Fortuner and Pajero Sport are both truck chassis. So Stavic wins again (although not on looks).

Like I mentioned before, you shouldn't compare a MPV against SUV.. you should compare MPV with MPV at similar price range like Toyota Innova & Naza Ria.

Recon MPV is mostly used as rental car in Japan, so be very careful paying so much money buying a rental car. Owning a MPV also increased other expenses like fuel consumption and more traveling expense because new family car ma.. so must travel more to enjoy it. Everyone in the family will line up their suggestion for traveling location. So it is pointless to commit high installment and got tied down from enjoying the car with your family.

In that case spend a bit of money can make Stavic more upmarket too?

I think the full accessories version is about RM10k+ more that comes mainly with auto cruise, roof DVD player, tinting. Refer to earlier post on this. I have not tested drive Stavic before but from Rexton experience, I am pretty sure you will be happy with its sounds proofing, slam door sound and road noise level.

ahk

Posted 11 October 2010 - 07:56 AM

ahk

Taxi Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 384 posts
r3xt0n,

will you consider to add a section for stavician in your RextonHub?