Welcome to Autoworld Forum !

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Close
Photo

Ssangyong Stavic Anyone

• Please log in to reply

Kevin

Posted 08 September 2010 - 06:21 PM

Kevin

Tokyo Drifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,080 posts
I checked out the Stavic today and was put off by the high servicing costs. I don't know if this is due to the fact that Competitive Supreme charges more or a diesel is more expensive to maintain.

Information obtained from the service advisor:
Service interval - every 5k km (RM310)
Sub-major service - every 40k km (RM800)
Major service - every 60k km (RM1,300)
Diesel filter replacement - every 25k km (RM320)

To me, that is very expensive for a car that costs RM115k OTR.

The car is well-equipped but is very dated. The interior quality is very similar to a Hyundai Matrix with hard plastics at most places with the exception of the dashboard which has its upper half in soft-touch plastics.

I suppose, for the money, it is a decent buy but you really have to buy with your mind and not with your heart.

byebye2u

Posted 09 September 2010 - 07:49 AM

byebye2u

Tokyo Drifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,805 posts
QUOTE (Kevin @ Sep 8 2010, 06:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I checked out the Stavic today and was put off by the high servicing costs. I don't know if this is due to the fact that Competitive Supreme charges more or a diesel is more expensive to maintain.

The car is well-equipped but is very dated. The interior quality is very similar to a Hyundai Matrix with hard plastics at most places with the exception of the dashboard which has its upper half in soft-touch plastics.

I suppose, for the money, it is a decent buy but you really have to buy with your mind and not with your heart.

service centre of course la bro, we rextonians also don't understand why they do that. outside shop easily you can half the price

cheers

NIK

r3xt0n

Posted 09 September 2010 - 12:29 PM

r3xt0n

White Lightning

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,148 posts
QUOTE (Kevin @ Sep 8 2010, 06:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Competitive Supreme advertising Stavic for RM99,990 on their website, what is the extra RM15k costing?

Good to check the maintenance cost to get the total cost of ownership, but you should be comparing the maintenance cost for the list of features that it is offering instead of its base value. The more feature rich a vehicle is equiped, naturally its maintenance cost gets higher. Honestly, RM310 for regular service and RM800 for 40km looks extremely reasonable for service center quoted price. If you did compared these cost with other model that you targeted, how much is it higher?

Ssangyong's interior is not as good and looks too simplistic compared with Japanese MPV, but if you compared its features offering outshine most peers at its similar price range and even on par with those twice its price. Everyone has different priority depending on their need and preference. Some prefer space, size, comfort while some prefer economy, cost and value while some prefer status, recognition and luxury. So, you have to decide your priority in consideration.

Kevin

Posted 09 September 2010 - 05:45 PM

Kevin

Tokyo Drifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,080 posts
QUOTE (r3xt0n @ Sep 9 2010, 12:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Competitive Supreme advertising Stavic for RM99,990 on their website, what is the extra RM15k costing?

Good to check the maintenance cost to get the total cost of ownership, but you should be comparing the maintenance cost for the list of features that it is offering instead of its base value. The more feature rich a vehicle is equiped, naturally its maintenance cost gets higher. Honestly, RM310 for regular service and RM800 for 40km looks extremely reasonable for service center quoted price. If you did compared these cost with other model that you targeted, how much is it higher?

Ssangyong's interior is not as good and looks too simplistic compared with Japanese MPV, but if you compared its features offering outshine most peers at its similar price range and even on par with those twice its price. Everyone has different priority depending on their need and preference. Some prefer space, size, comfort while some prefer economy, cost and value while some prefer status, recognition and luxury. So, you have to decide your priority in consideration.

Yes, I agree. I will be test-driving the Starex this weekend before making comparisons between the two. Will also obtain the servicing costs for the Starex but having experience with Hyundai, I am sure their prices will be competitive. E.g. I only spend RM400 for my Sonata at each service interval and it's every 10k km!

Just realised that NSS is an authorised service centre. That should solve my problem with servicing as I send my Kia to them as well smile.gif

RM99k is the basic car price. There is an options accessories package of RM10k that is added on (which I am told can be taken out). For RM10k, you get:
- 7" touchscreen HU with DVD player, GPS, SD card reader with a 10" touchscreen mounted on the roof
- Reverse camera
- Full leather seats
- Cruise control
- 3M tint

Add in registration costs, etc, the price comes to RM112k without insurance and RM115k with insurance.

r3xt0n

Posted 10 September 2010 - 11:14 AM

r3xt0n

White Lightning

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,148 posts
QUOTE (Kevin @ Sep 9 2010, 05:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yes, I agree. I will be test-driving the Starex this weekend before making comparisons between the two. Will also obtain the servicing costs for the Starex but having experience with Hyundai, I am sure their prices will be competitive. E.g. I only spend RM400 for my Sonata at each service interval and it's every 10k km!

The last I checked, Starex is about RM140k, about 40% higher. If budget is not a constraint, of course Starex offer more space and comfort. Many reviews reported that it is spacious than Alphard. The 2nd road seats can be arranged to face 3rd row seats too, so can setup a mahjong table while on long journey..hehehhee Remember to share your test drive here when you done.

Sonata being a petrol engine should rightfully has lower maintenance cost as it has lesser filters that meant for diesel only, but the difference in saving do not seems much. Maintenance cost for MPV/SUV is also usually higher, bigger capacity, bigger engine, more comfort, etc.. all comes at a cost.. hehehehe

Just realised that NSS is an authorised service centre. That should solve my problem with servicing as I send my Kia to them as well smile.gif

RM99k is the basic car price. There is an options accessories package of RM10k that is added on (which I am told can be taken out). For RM10k, you get:
- 7" touchscreen HU with DVD player, GPS, SD card reader with a 10" touchscreen mounted on the roof
- Reverse camera
- Full leather seats
- Cruise control
- 3M tint

Add in registration costs, etc, the price comes to RM112k without insurance and RM115k with insurance.

Roof mount display is a safety hazard, blocking your view to the rear. I having one installed too but do not feel comfortable with it blocking view to the rear. Will be replacing it with display at the head rest. 7" Double Din with Garmin GPS and reverse camera plus GPS/Radio/TV antennas cost around RM1,500 plus Vkool tint about RM2k, so does Cruise Control justify the balance of the cost?

alchen

Posted 18 September 2010 - 09:20 PM

alchen

1st Gear

• Members
  • 1 posts

QUOTE (r3xt0n @ Sep 10 2010, 11:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The last I checked, Starex is about RM140k, about 40% higher. If budget is not a constraint, of course Starex offer more space and comfort. Many reviews reported that it is spacious than Alphard. The 2nd road seats can be arranged to face 3rd row seats too, so can setup a mahjong table while on long journey..hehehhee Remember to share your test drive here when you done.

Sonata being a petrol engine should rightfully has lower maintenance cost as it has lesser filters that meant for diesel only, but the difference in saving do not seems much. Maintenance cost for MPV/SUV is also usually higher, bigger capacity, bigger engine, more comfort, etc.. all comes at a cost.. hehehehe

Roof mount display is a safety hazard, blocking your view to the rear. I having one installed too but do not feel comfortable with it blocking view to the rear. Will be replacing it with display at the head rest. 7" Double Din with Garmin GPS and reverse camera plus GPS/Radio/TV antennas cost around RM1,500 plus Vkool tint about RM2k, so does Cruise Control justify the balance of the cost?

SuperKop

Posted 07 October 2010 - 11:13 PM

SuperKop

Driver

• Members
  • Pip
  • 44 posts
Even if the Stavic interior is nothing to shout about, at RM99k, can one complain? Especially compared to others in similar class Stavic is still cheaper. So let's say spend a bit of money put in leather and a nice ICE system, vkool nicely, it will look not bad right?

IMHO, these things can still do something.

But there's one thing I need advice. Is the Stavic comfortable? For example I know the Toyota Fortuner is based on a truck suspension so it is actually not comfy. Wouldn't that be an important consideration for a family vehicle?

Can anyone give advice or comparison? Thanks
Enjoy Life!

r3xt0n

Posted 07 October 2010 - 11:37 PM

r3xt0n

White Lightning

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,148 posts
QUOTE (SuperKop @ Oct 7 2010, 11:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Even if the Stavic interior is nothing to shout about, at RM99k, can one complain? Especially compared to others in similar class Stavic is still cheaper. So let's say spend a bit of money put in leather and a nice ICE system, vkool nicely, it will look not bad right?

But there's one thing I need advice. Is the Stavic comfortable? For example I know the Toyota Fortuner is based on a truck suspension so it is actually not comfy. Wouldn't that be an important consideration for a family vehicle?

Should compare MPV with MPV and 4X4 with 4X4 because each is designed for specific purpose. MPV owners are mostly looking for space, comfort, stability and security, of course adequate power and low FC is a plus. At below RM100k budget range, there are few choices but none come close in terms of space and comfort except Naza Ria. You can compare both spec to see the difference in both and then test drive to confirm your judgment.

Kevin

Posted 08 October 2010 - 04:52 PM

Kevin

Tokyo Drifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,080 posts
QUOTE (SuperKop @ Oct 7 2010, 11:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have yet to have my test drive for the Stavic but I have already crossed off the Starex based on its test drive. I have been assured by many people that the Stavic will drive much better than the Starex smile_approve.gif

r3xt0n

Posted 08 October 2010 - 06:10 PM

r3xt0n

White Lightning

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,148 posts
QUOTE (Kevin @ Oct 8 2010, 04:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have yet to have my test drive for the Stavic but I have already crossed off the Starex based on its test drive. I have been assured by many people that the Stavic will drive much better than the Starex smile_approve.gif

Starex has higher gravity center and more squarish as compared to Stavic but then it offer more space at higher price. So, the bottom line is your priority. Compact size MPV tends to handle road better, especially those with low ground clearance like Honda Stream RSZ. Not to forget Stavic is running 2.7 commonrail turbo charged green diesel engine with 5 speed tiptronic transmission improved upon Mercedes engine, the same engine as Rexton 270XDI. So, there is adequate power to handle full load and acceleration when you need it. Previously, most are concern with the availability of spare parts and maintenance fees but with RextonHub established, you can most of the info readily available as both share most of gadgets and features.