Welcome to Autoworld Forum !

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Close
Photo

kia spectra pick up problem

• Please log in to reply

RocketFuel

Posted 28 November 2008 - 09:05 PM

RocketFuel

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 246 posts
Change the cat con to bullet half year ago, feels like normal and nothing
special, accelerating and going up cameron or genting feels ok, just ram
the accelerator and the car will go, although less powderful than waja
manual. However overall an excellent daily ride to work with 500km/tank
using RON92. Loan shall finish soon......yeeee haaaaa

azhar167

Posted 21 December 2008 - 03:10 PM

azhar167

Tokyo Drifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,262 posts
Back to main concern about the lack of pick up. Try using a better quality ATF for the gearbox. I think the Diamond ATF is the better one, flush all the old oil out and replace with new. Make sure the ATF is not overfilled, overfilling will cause the gearbox to be very heavy.

Then there is also the Voltage Stabilizer thingy to help regulate the load on the alternator plus the lighter air con oil/gas to help reduce load on the air con compressor. But this two are additional items, need some $$$.

wanida

Posted 22 December 2008 - 07:58 AM

wanida

Fast & Furious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,574 posts
for voltage stabiliser, i recommend i-charge, but the RM quite expensive la..abt RM600..

fkmfkm

Posted 22 December 2008 - 12:06 PM

fkmfkm

White Lightning

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,021 posts
QUOTE (adibi @ Nov 18 2008, 05:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
its been like that since I bought the car. I have changed the cat con to
bullet as well. there is no change in the performance. and yeah, i got the
knocking sound as well whenever water splash on the bullet.

If its like this since u got the car, did u compare with other same car ? or did you complain to the SC ?

adibi

Posted 30 December 2008 - 02:22 PM

adibi

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
QUOTE (fkmfkm @ Dec 22 2008, 12:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If its like this since u got the car, did u compare with other same car ? or did you complain to the SC ?

yes..i did compare with other same car..i used to drive my friend's car before buying mine. that was the determining factor in buying the car. sad.gif

fkmfkm

Posted 03 January 2009 - 02:44 PM

fkmfkm

White Lightning

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,021 posts
QUOTE (adibi @ Dec 30 2008, 02:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
yes..i did compare with other same car..i used to drive my friend's car before buying mine. that was the determining factor in buying the car. sad.gif

u mean your frens one better ? then complain to SC lah.

MatSpectra

Posted 05 January 2009 - 03:22 PM

MatSpectra

Probation

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts
My feedback :-

1) Knocking sound during rain (exhaust) - As all older Spectra owners should know, this is a very common problem. Even the SC's acknowledge this 'problem'. So just drive into any SC and they will fix it for you.

2) CatCon - We used to think that removing it will improve performance but I get mixed feedback. Some say it improves performance, some say no difference. Anyway, CatCon is there for a reason, ie. good for the environment, so its up to how 'green' you are ... rolleyes.gif . BUT, regarding your pick-up issue ...

3) Pick-up - Spectras will never win any traffic light drags. The engine is not tuned that way, plus the fact that the car is relatively heavy. Spectra's engine peaks only at mid-high torque. Therefore, pick-ups (gears 1-2) are a bit teruk no matter how much you hamtam the accelerator but you will experience the pick-up when you reach the mid-gears, or around 80 km/h.

ManB

Posted 07 January 2009 - 03:12 PM

ManB

Tokyo Drifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,524 posts
I am not quite sure why most ppl likes to condemn what they actually don't know. Well, I used an owner of a Spectra in 2001 and letgo the car in 2003 for the main reason of a back problem and not the car.

Love the car so much and have done quite a bit to make it performed much better than Waja. If you really want to compare between Spectra and Waja, it like the Malay saying, "Bak langit dgn Bumi" Huge differences.

For info to all, the Spectra factory setting was a bit on a low side but you can improved them. Areas to improve are;

1. Before you do anything else, make sure you tighten the throttle cables 1st. To make sure you do feel the difference, suffer yourself for a week driving the car without making any changes. Tighten the cables to almost 95%. Most SC will say cannot takut putus. Tell them go to hell. I did it to all my Kias, Spectra, Carens and Sportage, tak pernah putus pun.

2. After you have done the cable, wait for another week to get the feel. most of the time after a week, you started feeling that the performance mcm biasa jek. Without realising it is you adapting to the change not the car. Then go for the removing the cat con. Please don't give those ceramah perdana about environment because the ones fitted for Kia Spectra is the lousiest cat con on earth. Remove them with half swirl and half straight bullet. I used to use the GT2 bullet but with Sportage I use someother brand with is much better performance. Remove the cat con and change with the bullet. Then you feel 2 things, the car gets lighter when it goes and the FC improves about 15%.

3. Then go for ###### drop-in filter and the Cyclone 3. These 2 helps very much on the intake of air to the throttle and it give you the nudge you need everytime you want to speed up.

4. Spark plug, it is up to you what type you like. they are all workable but I used the Bosch Super4.

5. Never go for the Voltage stabilizers, nothing can be of assistance there. I was an idiot thinking the Voltage stabilizers were the answer to my prayers. It was the battery. Not sure what type whether it was the NS 55 or NS 60. but if standard is NS55, change it to NS65. You will agree with me that you will feel the power after that.

6. Then on others just use the normal maintenance, Engine Oil I prefer the Mobil 1 fully syn and I change every 20K, instead of 10K.

Spectra has quite a common problem after 5 years. Gearbox. but with a carefully maintenance, you won't have to worry about it. Use Shell full Syn ATF.

If you do this, you will enjoy the car more than if you have opted the other Japs or Proton cars. Tin kosong. Expensive tin kosong.

PotenzaG3

Posted 16 January 2009 - 01:58 PM

PotenzaG3

Fast & Furious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,776 posts
Powerful Spectra?