Welcome to Autoworld Forum !

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Close
Photo

Goodyear Eagle Efficientgrip

• Please log in to reply

CoffeeDude

Posted 29 August 2013 - 02:02 PM

CoffeeDude

Tokyo Drifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,160 posts
Goodyear Eagle Efficientgrip - is it available in 245/45R18 and does anyone know the price?

vr2turbo

Posted 30 August 2013 - 02:07 PM

vr2turbo

Forum Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 71,443 posts
QUOTE (CoffeeDude @ Aug 29 2013, 02:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Goodyear Eagle Efficientgrip - is it available in 245/45R18 and does anyone know the price?

Yup, GY website shows that size....

sky1228

Posted 20 October 2013 - 10:23 PM

sky1228

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 235 posts
just change 4 pcs yesterday to my wife's car. From a layman view, i would say this tyre really quiet.

vr2turbo

Posted 21 October 2013 - 08:17 AM

vr2turbo

Forum Ninja

• Members
  • 71,443 posts
QUOTE (sky1228 @ Oct 20 2013, 10:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
just change 4 pcs yesterday to my wife's car. From a layman view, i would say this tyre really quiet.

Layman or not, quiet should be quiet. Let us have more feedback.... smile_thumbup.gif

ryder

Posted 21 October 2013 - 08:25 AM

ryder

Taxi Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 406 posts
QUOTE (Coffee @ Aug 29 2013, 09:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I see what you mean. Thanks for the explanation bro vr2turbo.

As I was driving to work today (I commute 65km Per way, hence I do alot of thinking when i drive) I was thinking, if Efficiantgrip is the most balanced tyre I have purchased, whats 2nd?

The answer came easy. That would be the Yoko v551. Thats a tyre with better handling yet with similar silence. The only difference vs the Efficientgrip is its much stiffer ride. Both are silent tyres but the Efficientgrip is Comfort biased (and has a small edge in silence) while the v551 is Handling biased. I can imagine the v551 would not suite a softly sprung car like my Camry. But it would suite a European car better.

A caveat here is that the above assessment is based on tyres for a comfort sedan. If its performance car (ie. my prev Golf GTI), then the ideal tyre will be the GY F1 Asy2 handsdown.

From your post it appears that Goodyear Eagle Efficientgrip is slightly quieter than Yokohoama V551? On bad roads with uneven or poor surfaces and noisy concrete roads along certain stretches of the highway, which tyre will be quieter on these roads?

Noted on the stiffer ride/sportier handling of the V551 vs the more comfortable/softer ride of the Efficientgrip.

So far it looks like there are 3 options for quiet tyres -

1) Goodyear Eagle Efficientgrip
2) Yokohama V551
3) Toyo C1-S

vr2turbo

Posted 22 October 2013 - 08:13 AM

vr2turbo

Forum Ninja

• Members
  • 71,443 posts
QUOTE (ryder @ Oct 21 2013, 08:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
From your post it appears that Goodyear Eagle Efficientgrip is slightly quieter than Yokohoama V551? On bad roads with uneven or poor surfaces and noisy concrete roads along certain stretches of the highway, which tyre will be quieter on these roads?

Noted on the stiffer ride/sportier handling of the V551 vs the more comfortable/softer ride of the Efficientgrip.

So far it looks like there are 3 options for quiet tyres -

1) Goodyear Eagle Efficientgrip
2) Yokohama V551
3) Toyo C1-S

Good choices..... smile_thumbup.gif

irony

Posted 16 August 2014 - 09:46 PM

irony

Fast & Furious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,675 posts
Just sharing.. After approximatey 40k km, my EfficientGrip still have 40% of treadlife. Seems like it can go further.. but 2 tires are bulging on the inside.. although goodyear provides warranty for defects, I still have to top up about rm200 each for a new tire..

I ended up replacing them with michelin ps3 (which i'm familiar with).. the EfficientGrip is quiet, smooth, comfortable and all, but as with other comfort tires, the hydroplaning is so-so.. i got the ps3 the same price I paid for the EfficientGrip so its a no brainer.. although I traded the comfort and rolling resistance with something with more outright grip and better aquaplaning resistance. To be honest the ps3's noise is not much noisier compared to EfficientGrip.

Will I buy EfficientGrip again? Probably not if its still made in China smile_clown.gif
Maybe the EfficientGrip performance version is better.

vr2turbo

Posted 17 August 2014 - 01:40 PM

vr2turbo

Forum Ninja

• Members
  • 71,443 posts
QUOTE (irony @ Aug 16 2014, 09:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Just sharing.. After approximatey 40k km, my EfficientGrip still have 40% of treadlife. Seems like it can go further.. but 2 tires are bulging on the inside.. although goodyear provides warranty for defects, I still have to top up about rm200 each for a new tire..

I ended up replacing them with michelin ps3 (which i'm familiar with).. the EfficientGrip is quiet, smooth, comfortable and all, but as with other comfort tires, the hydroplaning is so-so.. i got the ps3 the same price I paid for the EfficientGrip so its a no brainer.. although I traded the comfort and rolling resistance with something with more outright grip and better aquaplaning resistance. To be honest the ps3's noise is not much noisier compared to EfficientGrip.

Will I buy EfficientGrip again? Probably not if its still made in China smile_clown.gif
Maybe the EfficientGrip performance version is better.

Wah! 40k km and still have 40% balance, means pretty good durability.
The warranty depends on the thread depth balance. The lesser the thread pattern depth the lesser the claim amount.
If into performance, definitely the PS3 will be better.
Is there a performance Efficient Grip model? smile_question.gif

irony

Posted 17 August 2014 - 06:11 PM

irony

Fast & Furious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,675 posts
QUOTE (vr2turbo @ Aug 17 2014, 01:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Wah! 40k km and still have 40% balance, means pretty good durability.
The warranty depends on the thread depth balance. The lesser the thread pattern depth the lesser the claim amount.
If into performance, definitely the PS3 will be better.
Is there a performance Efficient Grip model? smile_question.gif

Yup, the wear rate is good.. but at lot of 'pulling' already when going thru standing water when tread is < 50%.
EfficientGrip Performance model only for EU, not available here unfortunately.

vr2turbo

Posted 18 August 2014 - 09:15 AM

vr2turbo

Forum Ninja

• Members
  • 71,443 posts
QUOTE (irony @ Aug 17 2014, 06:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yup, the wear rate is good.. but at lot of 'pulling' already when going thru standing water when tread is < 50%.
EfficientGrip Performance model only for EU, not available here unfortunately.

But EU Efficient Grip pattern also differ from the local ones here. Like Michelin 3ST are Asian Tuned.... smile_shock.gif