Welcome to Autoworld Forum !

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Close
Photo

Vios Drive Shaft

• Please log in to reply

flee

Posted 19 October 2011 - 03:10 PM

flee

White Lightning

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,018 posts
Yes, UMW Toyota always replaces complete assemblies. E.g. the fuel pump is also a costly change because they change the whole assembly. Same with steering rack...

I normally ask my mechanic to inspect the rubber boots at the CV joints at EVERY SERVICE. Sometimes we have to change them. If these boots are torn, then its bad news as dirt and road grime gets inside. So look after those boots and the CV joints will last longer too. Of course, don't be so brutal with your accleration and gear changing too. A little care will extend the life of your CV joints.
Regards,
Flee

eddie73

Posted 09 November 2011 - 02:51 PM

eddie73

Advanced

• Members
  • Pip
  • 57 posts
QUOTE (profkaizen @ Oct 19 2011, 02:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So "SC" stands for "Slaughter Center" smile_evil.gif

Heheheheheh you said it yourself

Nokia6280

Posted 09 November 2011 - 03:44 PM

Nokia6280

Fast & Furious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,349 posts
QUOTE (eddie73 @ Nov 9 2011, 02:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Heheheheheh you said it yourself

Just an example, if outside chaning will cost RM500 and last for 2 years but SC cost RM900 but last for 5 years... which one worth it. But what will include in SC cost and changing outside?

Just for discussion

eddie73

Posted 10 November 2011 - 11:16 AM

eddie73

Advanced

• Members
  • Pip
  • 57 posts
QUOTE (Nokia6280 @ Nov 9 2011, 03:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Just an example, if outside chaning will cost RM500 and last for 2 years but SC cost RM900 but last for 5 years... which one worth it. But what will include in SC cost and changing outside?

Just for discussion

I used to drive Camry for 6 years. Overall cost to maintain first 2 years (until warranty over) is probably higher than maintaining the balance 4 years outside. hehehehhe. Maybe I am just lucky to get a Camry that is problem free and NEVER once broken down.

I feel that they charged too high most of the time. If they are a bit more reasonable, then maybe I would have continued to service in SC.

And I hate to make Appointments at Toyota. We have to make like weeks in advance. ANd normal service takes half a day. Major service whole day.

I go to my regular workshp outside, chucked the car in...go for lunch....one hour later..kautim!!!!!!! Saves time as well if you wanna factor in time saving into the costing. And like I said, previous Camry was robust and tahan lasak.....hardly anything breaks down.

garyyap

Posted 21 November 2011 - 11:26 AM

garyyap

Advanced

• Members
  • Pip
  • 72 posts
QUOTE (eddie73 @ Nov 10 2011, 11:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I used to drive Camry for 6 years. Overall cost to maintain first 2 years (until warranty over) is probably higher than maintaining the balance 4 years outside. hehehehhe. Maybe I am just lucky to get a Camry that is problem free and NEVER once broken down.

I feel that they charged too high most of the time. If they are a bit more reasonable, then maybe I would have continued to service in SC.

And I hate to make Appointments at Toyota. We have to make like weeks in advance. ANd normal service takes half a day. Major service whole day.

I go to my regular workshp outside, chucked the car in...go for lunch....one hour later..kautim!!!!!!! Saves time as well if you wanna factor in time saving into the costing. And like I said, previous Camry was robust and tahan lasak.....hardly anything breaks down.

Not sure if any of you guys notice but branch normally need appointments whereas dealers still entertain you.

justdoit

Posted 24 November 2011 - 08:12 AM

justdoit

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 227 posts
QUOTE (Nokia6280 @ Nov 9 2011, 03:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Just for discussion

My 2001 Wira had done 200k KM have no problem on the drive shaft, but recently I mistakenly changed it. Why Vios drive shaft doesn't last like mine?
moon

profkaizen

Posted 24 November 2011 - 08:22 AM

profkaizen

Road Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 998 posts
QUOTE (justdoit @ Nov 24 2011, 08:12 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My 2001 Wira had done 200k KM have no problem on the drive shaft, but recently I mistakenly changed it. Why Vios drive shaft doesn't last like mine?

You MUST your Wira as it was accidentally installed with rocket parts that don't wear easily. It is a gem smile_clown.gif Maybe you don't need to change tyres too. Wira boleh smile_evil.gif

fkmfkm

Posted 24 November 2011 - 01:54 PM

fkmfkm

White Lightning

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,021 posts
QUOTE (justdoit @ Nov 24 2011, 08:12 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

when time comes need to change lor...thats the reason...

profkaizen

Posted 25 November 2011 - 12:18 AM

profkaizen

Road Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 998 posts
QUOTE (fkmfkm @ Nov 24 2011, 01:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
when time comes need to change lor...thats the reason...

I reckoned that that justdoit [or just duit ?? smile_clown.gif ] got a wrong impression. To be precise, the drive shaft extends from the GB to the wheels in 2 or 3 sections. The fastest to get damaged by wear and tear or non-periodic maintenance [changing the boots] will be the Constant Velocity Joint [CV Joint] and never the whole draft shaft going kaput, unless meeting an accident [My Mazda 323 Familia had clocked over 450, 000 km had never had a total drive shaft change, only a few CV joints being changed]

What Toyota or maybe other makes' SC's are doing is to change or replace the entire drive shaft from head to toe even if it was the CV Joint that was damaged. In Cantonese, YAO SHAT CHOR, MOW FOONG GOR [有杀错,无放过 Should kill all, never allow any to survive by chance]

So, if justdoit still insists that even the CV Joints had not been changed after clocking so high mileage, then he should keep the car forever, as it is indeed a gem smile_evil.gif

justdoit

Posted 25 November 2011 - 07:57 AM

justdoit

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 227 posts
QUOTE (profkaizen @ Nov 25 2011, 12:18 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I reckoned that that justdoit [or just duit ?? smile_clown.gif ] got a wrong impression. To be precise, the drive shaft extends from the GB to the wheels in 2 or 3 sections. The fastest to get damaged by wear and tear or non-periodic maintenance [changing the boots] will be the Constant Velocity Joint [CV Joint] and never the whole draft shaft going kaput, unless meeting an accident [My Mazda 323 Familia had clocked over 450, 000 km had never had a total drive shaft change, only a few CV joints being changed]

What Toyota or maybe other makes' SC's are doing is to change or replace the entire drive shaft from head to toe even if it was the CV Joint that was damaged. In Cantonese, YAO SHAT CHOR, MOW FOONG GOR [有杀错,无放过 Should kill all, never allow any to survive by chance]

So, if justdoit still insists that even the CV Joints had not been changed after clocking so high mileage, then he should keep the car forever, as it is indeed a gem smile_evil.gif

The shaft was still in good condition when the mechanic changed it. Then it was found out the actual worn out part was the brake caliper pin that produces the ratlling noise that i complained ealier.
moon