Welcome to Autoworld Forum !

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Close
Photo

Vios Drive Shaft

• Please log in to reply

yowwei

Posted 17 September 2010 - 11:41 PM

yowwei

Taxi Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 445 posts
QUOTE (d9832834 @ Aug 2 2010, 03:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi, i also have the same problem with driveshaft. My vios year 2004 got the drive shaft replaced last month on both side.
I have went to toyota SC and they quote me 2.5k one arm (as they don replace just the drive shaft head, it come in 1 whole arm). So replacing 2 will cost me RM 5k.

I went to Seapark non-toyota SC to change it and it cost me RM 250 per side (couldnt remember the name of the drive shaft head but it wrote on the box 'made in japan'). Total cost me RM 500 both include labor charge.

Hi d9832834, do u mind telling me which shop at Seapark? my car is also having the same prob and was quoted RM750 now at KJ shop. I need 2nd opinion as my car judder when accelarating (no tak tak sound yet).

Edited by yowwei, 17 September 2010 - 11:42 PM.

Tourist

Posted 18 September 2010 - 11:26 AM

Tourist

White Lightning

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,715 posts
QUOTE (Alfie @ Jul 29 2010, 12:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Almost 2 years ago, I took my wife's Vios to a Toyota service centre for the usual 10k service (using fully synthetic engine oil, otherwise 5k). Upon collecting my car in the late afternoon (yes, almost a whole bloody day for a simple service), the very "helpful" service advisor informed me that my left drive shaft needed to be changed. That part would have to be ordered before hand from the main service centre (PJ?), and it would take 3 days for the part to arrive. The cost - RM2.4k. Now, since I also own another notoriously "unreliable and high maintenance" car, I called the regular mechanic of my "bad apple" for a second opinion. This guy said to bring over the Vios to his workshop for a look. To cut a long story short, the "problem" was solved in 3 hours (both left and right drive shafts) at a cost of RM180!!

Two years on, and we are still using the same drive shaft that supposedly needed to be changed.

There is a special place in hell for crooked politicians and lawyers, I am told. They need to move aside to make room for crooked motor mechanics as well. mad.gif

Moral of the story: When in doubt, get a second or third opinion.

Yes, when in doubt, get a second opinion and here is another one for you. FS can last 10,000-km and Mineral 5,000-km is similarly total rubbish. They are just cheating you to spend more on FS.

I prefers to use my head than follow the crowd. After all, it is my money and not theirs.

vorprex

Posted 01 October 2010 - 05:10 PM

vorprex

1st Gear

• Members
  • 1 posts
I just returned from the Toyota Service Centre (Jalan Templer) PJ. They told me the same thing, I had to change the front drive shaft for my Vios (left and right) due to a tear. They mentioned that if they just changed the tube, it will cost RM400 per side, two sides = RM800. Plus workmanship = RM1200. Best part is they said it won't be covered with warranty as it's not a recommended fix.

The recommended fix is to change both sides of the drive shaft (whole set) which will come up to about RM5000!!!. Thank god for this forum, I was able to get some much needed information before making the splurge. A second opinion is definitely needed, plus my car hasn't been making any sounds during turning like they mentioned.

If anyone has any contact numbers or address for recommended service shops that can get the job done, please do share the info. Thanks for the advice guys! smile_big.gif

ViosKL

Posted 04 October 2010 - 09:43 AM

ViosKL

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 151 posts
I just got the drive shaft plastic cover (left side) of my 2003 Vios replaced last Friday at Toyota SC. It cost me a whopping RM385 for the boot and RM 130 for labour charge.

flee

Posted 04 October 2010 - 11:07 AM

flee

White Lightning

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,018 posts
One of the most commonly overlooked inspections is the drive shaft boot - that is the rubber cover to protect the CV joints. You should inspect these regularly so that you can replace them once they crack or tear. That will save you a lot of problem with the drive shaft. Yes, there is not much point in going to UMWT SC to replace drive shafts. And if you have sent your car their for all the maintenance, you should in fact scold them for not inspecting the drive shaft boots diligently at each service!

You can help your car by not driving over objects, bumps, and other road debris. These can cut the rubber drive shaft boots, if you hit them at speed.
Regards,
Flee

yeong

Posted 04 October 2010 - 11:53 AM

yeong

Road Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 894 posts
Good advise from bro Flee. Actually all FWD cars are same --> these rubbers are fragile, need to be check/change periodically.
Only thing is UMWT is charging outrageous $$. Having said that I wonder how much P1/P2 SC charge for similar job ? Anybody?

samtks

Posted 16 April 2011 - 03:58 PM

samtks

1st Gear

• Members
  • 1 posts
Hi,

I just came back from PJ Sec 19 Toyota SC. The same thing was happen to my vios that they asking me to replace the drive shaft which cost about 5K.

The SC is very suck. Every time I went there for normal car services, they sure will come back to me that something need to replaced. Really disappointed on Toyota Vios as well as their Service Center.

I would like to know is there any thing we can notice for this issues as I do not notice anything goes wrong or any sound from my car at this moment. (it might has but I didn't notice it). So, If I don't change, what will be the worst case can happen? Hope someone can give me the advices.

Anyway, if really need to change, can anyone also recommend any workshop near Damansara area?

eddie73

Posted 19 October 2011 - 01:57 PM

eddie73

Advanced

• Members
  • Pip
  • 57 posts
Thanks guys for all the info and thanks to Autoworld, no need to send Vios to be slaughtered in Toyota.

profkaizen

Posted 19 October 2011 - 02:44 PM

profkaizen

Road Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 998 posts
QUOTE (samtks @ Apr 16 2011, 03:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi,

I just came back from PJ Sec 19 Toyota SC. The same thing was happen to my vios that they asking me to replace the drive shaft which cost about 5K.

The SC is very suck. Every time I went there for normal car services, they sure will come back to me that something need to replaced. Really disappointed on Toyota Vios as well as their Service Center.

I would like to know is there any thing we can notice for this issues as I do not notice anything goes wrong or any sound from my car at this moment. (it might has but I didn't notice it). So, If I don't change, what will be the worst case can happen? Hope someone can give me the advices.

Anyway, if really need to change, can anyone also recommend any workshop near Damansara area?

Actually, to be exact it should be the replacemnet of the constant velocity joint [commonly known as "CV joint"]. This joint fails faster than all the other parts of the drive shaft [or shafts] as it takes the loads and stress from the car's twists and turns [even during normal driving] Periodically, we need to inspect the wear and tear conditions of the attached rubber boot cover, which is a rubberized polymer cover that contains graphite grease to lubricate the joints and to protect the joints from getting contaminants, like sand, stones and even dirt particles, that act as abrasive agents that could grind the CV joint housing and the ball bearings installed within, to a reduced tolerance [gaps] and that cause rattling sound when you turn at an acute angle.

When the CV joints are worn out [normally the loose bearing will grind against their housing / seats], the first symptom to be noticed will be the rattling sound [clak, clak, clak] when doing hard turning. At this stage, you need to replace the CV joints ASAP, as if they continue to wear further, the next episode will be either a sudden seizure of the bearing ball rollers or a total uncontrolled CV joint response to your steering [dangerous]

All outside mechanics only replace the CV joints and not the total drive shafts. CV joints and rubber boots are CHEAP [less than MYR 300] No mechanics in their right of mind will change your whole drive shafts. Drive shafts may last the whole life of the car. FYI, my Mazda Familia which is driven for the past 20 years had never had its drive shafts replaced, only several CV joints had been changed.

You consult my mechanic [Sunway Pyramid area] Ah Loong 012-3770133

profkaizen

Posted 19 October 2011 - 02:45 PM

profkaizen

Road Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 998 posts
QUOTE (eddie73 @ Oct 19 2011, 01:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks guys for all the info and thanks to Autoworld, no need to send Vios to be slaughtered in Toyota.

So "SC" stands for "Slaughter Center" smile_evil.gif