Welcome to Autoworld Forum !

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Close
Photo

Is Fiesta A Good Buy?

• Please log in to reply

excalmy

Posted 02 May 2011 - 11:37 PM

excalmy

1st Gear

• Members
  • 1 posts
Hi, I'm new to this forum & have been reading it for past couple of days. I'm considering a Fiesta sedan but would like some opinion. HB looks good & I like the USB & bluetooth feature but it lacks boot space for large suitcases (also I already have a Kancil for weekend city usage so not really looking for another small car). I'm kinda fine with it having only 1 airbag as my current car doesn't even have one. Although accidents do happen, the risk is lower if you're not driving like a F1 driver.

From the reviews, FF seems good on handling, power & FC. I tried test drive the HB 1.6 a week back but the SA didn't allow me to drive it up a slope (saying another customer waiting for test drive, hmmm). No offence to any salesperson out there but I don't really believe SA when he mention that going up slope is no problem (Most SA will say anything to get a sale - hard to find good honest ones these days). Also the drive is a short one, just round the block twice & didn't really get to tryout the gear transmission, or 0-100km/h time. Has anyone tried the sedan? (the shop didn't have 1 for test drive) Does it have power to go up slopes & how's the handling on winding roads?

This is going to be my 1st non-local car so want to make a good choice here. Shld I go for Fiesta or Vios/City or....? Budget is only <85k. Hope to have some advice back.

rabpaul

Posted 03 May 2011 - 11:08 AM

rabpaul

Fast & Furious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,005 posts
QUOTE (excalmy @ May 2 2011, 11:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi, I'm new to this forum & have been reading it for past couple of days. I'm considering a Fiesta sedan but would like some opinion. HB looks good & I like the USB & bluetooth feature but it lacks boot space for large suitcases (also I already have a Kancil for weekend city usage so not really looking for another small car). I'm kinda fine with it having only 1 airbag as my current car doesn't even have one. Although accidents do happen, the risk is lower if you're not driving like a F1 driver.

From the reviews, FF seems good on handling, power & FC. I tried test drive the HB 1.6 a week back but the SA didn't allow me to drive it up a slope (saying another customer waiting for test drive, hmmm). No offence to any salesperson out there but I don't really believe SA when he mention that going up slope is no problem (Most SA will say anything to get a sale - hard to find good honest ones these days). Also the drive is a short one, just round the block twice & didn't really get to tryout the gear transmission, or 0-100km/h time. Has anyone tried the sedan? (the shop didn't have 1 for test drive) Does it have power to go up slopes & how's the handling on winding roads?

This is going to be my 1st non-local car so want to make a good choice here. Shld I go for Fiesta or Vios/City or....? Budget is only <85k. Hope to have some advice back.

Go for a test drive again, the car is not underpowered such that it cannot handle a slope and will handle winding roads better than any of the cars you have mentioned. The GB is very different so you need to make sure you are comfortable with it. Fiesta also apparently has better FC than any other car short of a Hybrid in its class.
You should also test drive the Mazda 2 which is built on the same chassis as the Fiesta but with a different engine and GB. There is also the Peugeot 207 to check out.
If you are planning to keep the car for a long time then resale value should not matter but if you plan to upgrade after some years then Vios/City would offer better resale value. In terms of size Vios/City/Fiesta are very close.

eddiekee

Posted 03 May 2011 - 01:34 PM

eddiekee

Advanced

• Members
  • Pip
  • 77 posts
I test drive the car just some few weeks ago. Not too bad. Quiet inside. I just need to get used to the signal indicator and the wiper stalk which is following conti cars. Power window switch on driver side seems to be located on an awkward position making it difficult to operate. Was surprised there are no grab handles but only have coat hooks. Think i can live with that. Wanted to place a booking but was reading in newspaper that some parts are coming from Japan so may face parts shortage. I decided to on hold my booking until situation in Japan improves.

ketaauto

Posted 03 May 2011 - 03:12 PM

ketaauto

Taxi Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 396 posts
QUOTE (eddiekee @ May 3 2011, 01:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I test drive the car just some few weeks ago. Not too bad. Quiet inside. I just need to get used to the signal indicator and the wiper stalk which is following conti cars. Power window switch on driver side seems to be located on an awkward position making it difficult to operate. Was surprised there are no grab handles but only have coat hooks. Think i can live with that. Wanted to place a booking but was reading in newspaper that some parts are coming from Japan so may face parts shortage. I decided to on hold my booking until situation in Japan improves.

Fiesta is a 100% German made car with a Yankee badge and pasang in Siamland . As far as I know , most important parts including engine + gb + suspensions are from Germany , so what on earth Jepun pia shortage got to do with this car .....

Uturn

Posted 03 May 2011 - 11:38 PM

Uturn

Probation

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts
Excalmy dude... don't limit yourself to only one choice.. there's plenty on offer out there to try.. rabpaul is right.. there's peugeot207, mazda 2 and also forte..

The Ford boast that fiesta's engineering & handling is the best in its class.. as far as i'm concerned, they're right...but...
it's the maintenance free..dry gearbox that puts me off from buying the FF sedan.. just don't feel right to me.. Ford would say we got it covered with the 3 years warranty... but what happens after 3 years?..as i'm looking to keep the car more than that.
Its a bit skeptical but hey..why would the new ford models convert back to wet GB??..huh..

p/s: one more thing that i dislike is the lack of choice of not getting the same specs for the sedan as the HB.

maybe you wanna wait for hyundai accent..hehe

Happy hunting.

eddiekee

Posted 04 May 2011 - 02:41 PM

eddiekee

Advanced

• Members
  • Pip
  • 77 posts
QUOTE (ketaauto @ May 3 2011, 03:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Fiesta is a 100% German made car with a Yankee badge and pasang in Siamland . As far as I know , most important parts including engine + gb + suspensions are from Germany , so what on earth Jepun pia shortage got to do with this car .....

they still have some electronic parts that still comes from Japan. Yes i know they assemble in Thailand. Was reported that they may face part shortage in the local newspaper few weeks ago

tanglp

Posted 04 May 2011 - 03:15 PM

tanglp

Road Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 597 posts
QUOTE (Uturn @ May 3 2011, 11:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Excalmy dude... don't limit yourself to only one choice.. there's plenty on offer out there to try.. rabpaul is right.. there's peugeot207, mazda 2 and also forte..

The Ford boast that fiesta's engineering & handling is the best in its class.. as far as i'm concerned, they're right...but...
it's the maintenance free..dry gearbox that puts me off from buying the FF sedan.. just don't feel right to me.. Ford would say we got it covered with the 3 years warranty... but what happens after 3 years?..as i'm looking to keep the car more than that.
Its a bit skeptical but hey..why would the new ford models convert back to wet GB??..huh..

p/s: one more thing that i dislike is the lack of choice of not getting the same specs for the sedan as the HB.

maybe you wanna wait for hyundai accent..hehe

Happy hunting.

Yes, you'd want to wait for the new Accent.

For me, I'm impressed with the ride and handling. The gearbox shift during traffic jam is jerky but it seems to be getting better.

The 1st gear revs up to 3k RPM before it shifts to 2nd. But it shifts smoothly.

The lower panel joints is appaling. There's no mudguard and so the painted bumper is always stained with road grime.

There's no hazard triangle and the 2nd key fob is not the electronic remote. To make another electronic remote key fob, it'll cost you RM700+.

I've decided to service the car when it reached 2000+ km and it cost me RM340 due to RM60 per litre of Castrol Semi Synthetic. Due to warranty reason, I've decided to go along with it. When the warranty and free maintenance expires, I won't change oil there again.

>> Uturn - as for the wet GB, it's meant for higher torque application. Perhaps you can also check the engine spec that goes with the wet GB.

Uturn

Posted 04 May 2011 - 03:46 PM

Uturn

Probation

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts
tanglp, point noted. Tq.. and +1 on the lower panel..

The fiesta makes u wanna go n drive everywhere.. the handling is top notch..
but to me a car must be more than that.. it's the little things like the absent of spare key, no footwell lite, no trip computer or armrest for example.. those are the things thats bugging me..hehe.

Why create such a difference between the HB & sedan by omiting those petty little things i dunno..hiaz..

cruzeon

Posted 07 May 2011 - 08:01 PM

cruzeon

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 178 posts
to me, it is the best value car with the specs given compare to other japs brand. go for the sexy hatch back. do anotehr test drive n compare with others... smile_thumbup.gif

cskok8

Posted 08 May 2011 - 10:12 PM

cskok8

Road Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 526 posts
QUOTE (tanglp @ May 4 2011, 03:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I've decided to service the car when it reached 2000+ km and it cost me RM340 due to RM60 per litre of Castrol Semi Synthetic. Due to warranty reason, I've decided to go along with it. When the warranty and free maintenance expires, I won't change oil there again.

Does that come in a gold-plated container? Thats about the price BMW charges for a liter of their fully synthetic oil smile_disapprove.gif