Welcome to Autoworld Forum !

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Close
Photo

Comfortable Tyres!

• Please log in to reply

whoopee

Posted 22 January 2009 - 06:51 PM

whoopee

Fast & Furious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,355 posts
QUOTE (vr2turbo @ Jan 22 2009, 05:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yes, soft sidewall comes first......

rdgs,

Then how do we know which donuts are made of 'soft' sidewall ah? unsure.gif

Any indication of this on the physical donut or its specs? Or by physically pressing its sidewall? unsure.gif
Choosing the right donut for safety & confidence; Modifying car for performance; Mastering auto-detailing is an art & passion...and indulging in all is a xiao way of life!

swinee

Posted 22 January 2009 - 07:19 PM

swinee

Fast & Furious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,042 posts
QUOTE (whoopee @ Jan 22 2009, 06:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Any indication of this on the physical donut or its specs? Or by physically pressing its sidewall? unsure.gif

ya..interesting question and i would like to know too..
tire construction? ply of steel, polyster used?or etc...
so any sifu clarify this?

imjackz

Posted 22 January 2009 - 08:24 PM

imjackz

2nd Gear

• Members
  • 2 posts
hi hi, new here... just saw the topic and i just recently changed a 195/50/R15 for Falken Ze 912 for Rm160 per pcs, expensive ma?
and i found out this tyre quite nice, comfort and quite... the grip also quite nice.. laugh.gif

azbro

Posted 22 January 2009 - 11:19 PM

azbro

Tokyo Drifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,861 posts
QUOTE (whoopee @ Jan 22 2009, 07:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

QUOTE (swinee @ Jan 22 2009, 08:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
ya..interesting question and i would like to know too..
tire construction? ply of steel, polyster used?or etc...
so any sifu clarify this?

No need to be too technical..haha...tires are already categories , to know more abt tires, check out the manufacturers webby or in Autoworld for real experience from users.

QUOTE (imjackz @ Jan 22 2009, 09:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
hi hi, new here... just saw the topic and i just recently changed a 195/50/R15 for Falken Ze 912 for Rm160 per pcs, expensive ma?
and i found out this tyre quite nice, comfort and quite... the grip also quite nice.. laugh.gif

Its abt that price...man if only my tires could cost that much sad.gif

mubull

Posted 23 January 2009 - 11:03 AM

mubull

Tokyo Drifter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,385 posts
QUOTE (azbro @ Jan 22 2009, 12:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Soft compound is used in extreme performance tires...but for comfort tires...but softer sidewall contruction is always used for comfort tires.....there is a big difference between Comfort, Mileage and Performance, Ultra Performance tires

Take example Michelin.
Comfort - MXV8 - Soft sidewall construction, medium compound for the threads
Mileage - XM1 - Medium sidewall, harder compound
Performance - PP2 - Hard Sidewall, medium compound
UHP - PS2 - Very hard Sidewall, soft compound.

This also has an effect on the type of car or suspension setup...a lowered car will never get comfort even if it uses the MXV8, wherelse a Accord will not fully utilized the grip effect of the PS2 unless the suspension is modified. Age and wear and tear also plays a big part in tire comfort or performance. Most tires will perform well below 30K KM, after that, the rubber will harden.

The thread pattern on most so call comfort tires are also very fine and close together to avoid vibration and noise. But the wet performance wont be that good.

bro.azbro.. sorry I dun quite und your definition for rubber compound ? Above your mentioned tyres, I hv used all and pp2 only for my fren's Civic ride. Based on my understanding, normally we can only differenciate the sidewall by reading the sidewall info e.g 1 ply .. or material used for sidewall ..e.g kevlar,rayon,steel ..(from net).

Rubber compound for threads is something I would said it biz secret and they dun normally review much, hence I normally deferenciate the rubber thread compound by touching ,squzzing or pressing those threads. I believed XM1 comes with very soft side, Rubber compound oso very soft when new, 30% getting harder and 50% more harder. MXV8 shoulder are very soft, PS2 are hard or medium thread compound , same goes to pp2 which I think is medum compound.

Pls advice bro... I oso wanted to learn and I used many sets of XM1, 1 full sets of MXV8, 1 full sets of PS2 which I drive it occationally.

cheers.... Duragloss The Wet Look
www.duragloss.com.my
facebook.com/duraglossmalaysia

azbro

Posted 23 January 2009 - 11:30 AM

azbro

Tokyo Drifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,861 posts
QUOTE (mubull @ Jan 23 2009, 12:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
bro.azbro.. sorry I dun quite und your definition..
Pls advice bro... I oso wanted to learn and I used many sets of XM1, 1 full sets of MXV8, 1 full sets of PS2 which I drive it occationally.

Sorry...its the thread compound...not sidewall or whole tire compound....I was not being too technical in there for easy understanding of newbies.

Nowadays materials are more hi tech, so there is no telling what is what..and as you say is correct, a biz secret...the whole tire construction and the aging must take into account.

vr2turbo

Posted 23 January 2009 - 05:05 PM

vr2turbo

Forum Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 71,443 posts
QUOTE (whoopee @ Jan 22 2009, 07:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

One way is to physically press the sidewall. If it is soft, it is soft. If it is hard, how to be soft?..ha! ha! ohmy.gif

rdgs,

vr2turbo

Posted 23 January 2009 - 05:08 PM

vr2turbo

Forum Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 71,443 posts
QUOTE (mubull @ Jan 23 2009, 12:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
bro.azbro.. sorry I dun quite und your definition for rubber compound ? Above your mentioned tyres, I hv used all and pp2 only for my fren's Civic ride. Based on my understanding, normally we can only differenciate the sidewall by reading the sidewall info e.g 1 ply .. or material used for sidewall ..e.g kevlar,rayon,steel ..(from net).

Rubber compound for threads is something I would said it biz secret and they dun normally review much, hence I normally deferenciate the rubber thread compound by touching ,squzzing or pressing those threads. I believed XM1 comes with very soft side, Rubber compound oso very soft when new, 30% getting harder and 50% more harder. MXV8 shoulder are very soft, PS2 are hard or medium thread compound , same goes to pp2 which I think is medum compound.

For thread pattern rubber compound it is individual company trade secret, but the rubber compound code is printed on the tyres sidewall, but we do not know what it stands for anyway.....

For UHP tyres, most of them are of soft compound for grip. Mid Range tyres are in between and entry levels normally have harder compound for durability.

rdgs,