Welcome to Autoworld Forum !

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Close
Photo

Grand Livina's Bonnet/hood: Security Risk?

• Please log in to reply

cbsteh

Posted 22 October 2010 - 01:52 PM

cbsteh

Fast & Furious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,531 posts
Dear Nissan Grand Livina owners,

How easy is it to pop open the car bonnet/hood without using the hood switch from inside the car? Has anyone tried doing this or been shown in a demonstration? In other words, how easy is it for car thieves to open the Livina's hood to access the car internals without having to go through the normal route of using the hood toggle switch?

I am planning to fit a hood lock but depending on your response, I might do it right this minute (!!!) if I am told that the Livina's hood is super easy to open by thieves.

Another potential security risk is the NGL's protruding car lock handle. By wedging the door, thieves can create a gap large enough to slide in a long and flat piece of metal and hit the protruding lock handle to finally open the door. Note: I am not referring to slim jim, but a wedging door technique like this:

You can also use the inflatable collar (for measuring the blood pressure from your arm) to wedge the a door corner.

Chris.

fox68

Posted 23 October 2010 - 01:39 PM

fox68

Taxi Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 301 posts
QUOTE (cbsteh @ Oct 22 2010, 01:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Dear Nissan Grand Livina owners,

How easy is it to pop open the car bonnet/hood without using the hood switch from inside the car? Has anyone tried doing this or been shown in a demonstration? In other words, how easy is it for car thieves to open the Livina's hood to access the car internals without having to go through the normal route of using the hood toggle switch?

I am planning to fit a hood lock but depending on your response, I might do it right this minute (!!!) if I am told that the Livina's hood is super easy to open by thieves.

Another potential security risk is the NGL's protruding car lock handle. By wedging the door, thieves can create a gap large enough to slide in a long and flat piece of metal and hit the protruding lock handle to finally open the door. Note: I am not referring to slim jim, but a wedging door technique like this:

You can also use the inflatable collar (for measuring the blood pressure from your arm) to wedge the a door corner.

Chris.

Not that I've heard of anyone wanting to steal an NGL but to open the hood as you may say will actually activate the alarm. There may be ways to short out the alarm but I think you should be able to hear it unless you are a distance away. As for the contraption shown, not only does it open an NGL but other cars also can be pried open using this toll..I have seen it on youtube for cars in Europe. Again, the alarm will sound as the NGL's alarm is damn annoying!

There is an immobiliser for all new NGLs so stealing the car by trying to connect the wires is not easy. I usually lock my steering is I'm away for long periods and keep my wheels at 30 degrees left/right. This avoids my NGL from being towed as the front wheels will be pointing elsewhere and would not keep the car in line with the tow truck. The thief cannot straighten the wheels as the steering lock is in place preventing this.

Then again, they would have to break the window but I have installed 6mm thick security film, so they would need to take a longer time to break either windows smile.gif

I think they would be better off stealing a Honda CRV or Civic as these are the no.1 target and the door locks and immobiliser can be overidden as proven in the no. of Hondas stolen in KL alone. smile_blush.gif

cbsteh

Posted 23 October 2010 - 04:32 PM

cbsteh

Fast & Furious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,531 posts
QUOTE (fox68 @ Oct 23 2010, 01:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Not that I've heard of anyone wanting to steal an NGL but to open the hood as you may say will actually activate the alarm. There may be ways to short out the alarm but I think you should be able to hear it unless you are a distance away. As for the contraption shown, not only does it open an NGL but other cars also can be pried open using this toll..I have seen it on youtube for cars in Europe. Again, the alarm will sound as the NGL's alarm is damn annoying!

There is an immobiliser for all new NGLs so stealing the car by trying to connect the wires is not easy. I usually lock my steering is I'm away for long periods and keep my wheels at 30 degrees left/right. This avoids my NGL from being towed as the front wheels will be pointing elsewhere and would not keep the car in line with the tow truck. The thief cannot straighten the wheels as the steering lock is in place preventing this.

Then again, they would have to break the window but I have installed 6mm thick security film, so they would need to take a longer time to break either windows smile.gif

I think they would be better off stealing a Honda CRV or Civic as these are the no.1 target and the door locks and immobiliser can be overidden as proven in the no. of Hondas stolen in KL alone. smile_blush.gif

I agree with what you have said. According to PIAM (Insurance Assoc.), no NGLs were reported stolen in 2008 and 2009. I also agree that wedging the car door is not unique only to NGL but applicable to other cars. However, what makes me concern is NGL's protruding door lock lever. By "sticking out", the door lock lever makes it easier to hit it with a long and metal bar to open the door. I wish Nissan had made a cover or hood for the door lock lever which makes it even more difficult to hit the lever with a bar, whether hitting it from the top or side.

Yes, I agree that opening the door and hood will sound the alarm, but the problem is: the thief can very quickly cut off the car horn once the hood is open (whether opening the hood by force or using the lever by the driver's side). The immobiliser still offers some hope, but it appears some thieves are able to bypass that: sometimes by connecting the car's ECU with a laptop, and, using stolen software from Nissan service centres, they can switch off the immobilizer.

True, a 6 mil. security film can hamper efforts to smash the window, but unfortunately these security films work most effectively against blunt objects (like stone, helmet, and hammer), but they work less effective against sharp objects (like screwdrivers or glass hammer). Heck, you can even buy a tool (like from Ace Hardware) where you press the tip of the tool against the 4 corners of the window, forcing each corner to crack. Once cracked, you can kick the window in. This tool is actually for emergency purposes, where you keep it with you in the car or with you car keys, so if you are ever in an accident and you can't come out (or especially, like in the movies, you drove right into a river, and water is gushing in), you use this tool to get out.

I suppose what they say is true: If thieves want our car really bad, they will get it. As owners, one of the best ways is to install as many security features as we can in order to hamper the thieves' efforts.

Chris.

fox68

Posted 26 October 2010 - 07:40 PM

fox68

Taxi Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 301 posts
QUOTE (cbsteh @ Oct 23 2010, 04:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I agree with what you have said. According to PIAM (Insurance Assoc.), no NGLs were reported stolen in 2008 and 2009. I also agree that wedging the car door is not unique only to NGL but applicable to other cars. However, what makes me concern is NGL's protruding door lock lever. By "sticking out", the door lock lever makes it easier to hit it with a long and metal bar to open the door. I wish Nissan had made a cover or hood for the door lock lever which makes it even more difficult to hit the lever with a bar, whether hitting it from the top or side.

Yes, I agree that opening the door and hood will sound the alarm, but the problem is: the thief can very quickly cut off the car horn once the hood is open (whether opening the hood by force or using the lever by the driver's side). The immobiliser still offers some hope, but it appears some thieves are able to bypass that: sometimes by connecting the car's ECU with a laptop, and, using stolen software from Nissan service centres, they can switch off the immobilizer.

True, a 6 mil. security film can hamper efforts to smash the window, but unfortunately these security films work most effectively against blunt objects (like stone, helmet, and hammer), but they work less effective against sharp objects (like screwdrivers or glass hammer). Heck, you can even buy a tool (like from Ace Hardware) where you press the tip of the tool against the 4 corners of the window, forcing each corner to crack. Once cracked, you can kick the window in. This tool is actually for emergency purposes, where you keep it with you in the car or with you car keys, so if you are ever in an accident and you can't come out (or especially, like in the movies, you drove right into a river, and water is gushing in), you use this tool to get out.

I suppose what they say is true: If thieves want our car really bad, they will get it. As owners, one of the best ways is to install as many security features as we can in order to hamper the thieves' efforts.

Chris.

You right bro..unless the thieves have your car in mind, the best devices will not protect your car. As for the wiring in the hood, its hidden somewhere only a Nissan tech knows, so first suspect is the place you last serviced the car. The door handle is used for nearly every car including CRV, Mercs, Hyundai, etc..so the only pain to replace is us, the owners..

For a 6-7mm film (which I'm using) only a diamond blade (for cutting glass) can cut glss while the film is inside not outside, so if the thief cuts from the outside, he would have to slash, (after breaking the glass), locate the alarm via hood and then disarm the alarm, which I believe will take more than 10 minutes, over the safe limit..hopefully someone hears the alarm tongue.gif

If you do get stuck in a car that has fallen into a river/sea/lake, no need to have a special knife. Put the car key between your fist and break the glass...water pressure will do the rest smile.gif

cbsteh

Posted 27 October 2010 - 01:01 PM

cbsteh

Fast & Furious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,531 posts
QUOTE (fox68 @ Oct 26 2010, 07:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
For a 6-7mm film (which I'm using) only a diamond blade (for cutting glass) can cut glss while the film is inside not outside, so if the thief cuts from the outside, he would have to slash, (after breaking the glass), locate the alarm via hood and then disarm the alarm, which I believe will take more than 10 minutes, over the safe limit..hopefully someone hears the alarm tongue.gif

Why does it take > 10 minutes to disarm alarm? To me, disarm alarm means cut off sound (from horn), disable the alarm and immobilizer to drive off car. Is that what you meant?

Did you install additional alarms or replaced the OEM alarm? Thanks.

Chris

fox68

Posted 28 October 2010 - 10:51 PM

fox68

Taxi Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 301 posts
QUOTE (cbsteh @ Oct 27 2010, 01:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Why does it take > 10 minutes to disarm alarm? To me, disarm alarm means cut off sound (from horn), disable the alarm and immobilizer to drive off car. Is that what you meant?

Did you install additional alarms or replaced the OEM alarm? Thanks.

Chris

Well I read in an article somewhere if a thief takes more than 10 minutes to enter a car and disable the alarm, then he/she will not bother cos they have to take another 5-10 minutes to hotwire a car. The 10 minutes here is to enter the car, open the bonnet, locate the alarm live wire and backup power wire, disable the immobilizer, then only attempt to start the car. If your thief is a common, he will try to break the small glass at the rear, open the back door, then front and then the bonnet or attempt to open the bonnet by prying the front latch..all which activates the alarm smile.gif

You cannot korek the front window sill with a thin metal strip as most cars have a reinforced metal bar that in the door that prevents this, so opening a lock takes longer. However there is a device for professionals to overide the alarm and immobiliser and they usually target the Hondas, Camrys and Harriers, Pajeroes and the odd MBenz as they fetch more money unlike the humble Nissan GL.

Reinforced films do prevent smash and grab incidents so will be useful to have and since my car is still under warranty (3 yrs) I cannot upgrade the alarm system to a Thatcam certified car alarm or satelite tracker..

cbsteh

Posted 28 October 2010 - 11:02 PM

cbsteh

Fast & Furious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,531 posts
[quote name='fox68' date='Oct 28 2010, 10:51 PM' post='1622952']
...humble Nissan GL.
quote]

Words of great comfort to me. smile_approve.gif My car also under warranty but decided to screw it to better protect my car. My neighbourhood makes me nervous.

fox68

Posted 29 October 2010 - 12:17 AM

fox68

Taxi Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 301 posts
Words of great comfort to me. smile_approve.gif

Yeah our NGLs are quite humble and feels great when driven sedately until some stupid idiot in a wira/kancil/saga/etc tries to tailgate us..then its O/D button off and leave them in our dust..ke!ke!ke!

My car also under warranty but decided to screw it to better protect my car.

Hopefully your NGL doesn't give any problems in these 3 years as TC can be very picky and simply blame us for doing unauthorised wiring..thinking of HID lights and additional alarms too.

Don't forget to steering wheel lock it too...and buy the one for Airbag as the NGL's horn is still active even when ignition switched off tongue.gif Also turn your wheels to the far right or left before locking it to prevent it being towed tongue.gif

My neighbourhood makes me nervous.

Staying in Kinrara area?

cbsteh

Posted 24 November 2010 - 11:03 AM

cbsteh

Fast & Furious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,531 posts
Just an update that Supercode Technology can install hood lock. The brand they install is TriggerFish (RM488, without installation cost) not Cheetah brand. Their website is deceiving as they recently updated their website but it still contains outdated info. I was told by a Cheetah Alarm rep that Supercode is no longer their official Cheetah distributor. And no, Cheetah hood lock is no longer available in Malaysia due to marketing problems, as I was told.

Anyway, you have to call Supercode to make an appointment for installation.

Chris

P.S.
Alternatively, you can call klgauto at 012-7681200. He can also install Triggerfish but he is super secretive about the price. He wouldn't tell me the price on the phone. He wants me to go to Terengganu for installation...caveat emptor (Buyer beware).