Welcome to Autoworld Forum !

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Close
Photo

Peugeot 407 Vs 408

• Please log in to reply

jmkoo

Posted 18 March 2014 - 02:00 PM

jmkoo

Taxi Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 266 posts
QUOTE (ckl050877 @ Mar 18 2014, 08:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
When I visited Glenmarie for my car problem, I heard that a guy was having water boiling problem for his 408. He sent the car to Jln Chan Sao Lin. the technician there told him his car has no problem and asked him collected his car. He encountered the water boiled problem as soon as he collected his car. He has no choice but send to Glenmarie. I am the victim for all these service centers and have been highlighting to Clic for improvement. However, I do not see service improvement each time I visited them. These service center did not even carry out inspection for matters they have written in service order!

That 408 water boiling issue sounds like the famous intermittent water temperature sensor faulty. You think how can the water boil off when sensor is faulty?

My past experience shows that when the sensor is faulty, the ecu will disengage the water punp and therefore the coolant will be boiled off if you keep driving the car.

The water pump in our puegeot is not direct drive like normal cars but intead using a coupling which can engage/disengage. Suppose to save few % fuel in this way, by not wasting power pushing water when no need to.

Najib405

Posted 22 April 2014 - 12:19 AM

Najib405

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 158 posts
am thinking of 407 Vs 408 ..... checking review on both.

preferably for 407 ( 09 or 10 premium ) but have no idea how good of the performance and its maintenance cost.

Mind to share ?

MASsenger

Posted 28 April 2014 - 09:06 PM

MASsenger

Fast & Furious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,393 posts
QUOTE (Najib405 @ Apr 22 2014, 12:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
am thinking of 407 Vs 408 ..... checking review on both.

preferably for 407 ( 09 or 10 premium ) but have no idea how good of the performance and its maintenance cost.

Mind to share ?

407 is a great looking car,it's shape is timeless! It all depends on price. 2 year old 408 NAs are going for $70K+. Certainly can't beat the 407 on looks,but has :
1) a much more comfortable cabin
2) stylish and modern instruments and dashboard
3) improved engine
4) improved gb
5) 3year balance warranty

Maintenance should be the same on both. 408 will have a slight edge on performance due to a bit more horses. IMO, the 2010 407 has to be $30K cheaper to be the choice.

The REALdeal

Najib405

Posted 04 May 2014 - 01:53 PM

Najib405

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 158 posts
QUOTE (MASsenger @ Apr 28 2014, 09:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
407 is a great looking car,it's shape is timeless! It all depends on price. 2 year old 408 NAs are going for $70K+. Certainly can't beat the 407 on looks,but has :
1) a much more comfortable cabin
2) stylish and modern instruments and dashboard
3) improved engine
4) improved gb
5) 3year balance warranty

Maintenance should be the same on both. 408 will have a slight edge on performance due to a bit more horses. IMO, the 2010 407 has to be $30K cheaper to be the choice.

Thank for sharing.

What is 408 `NA`?

I am not concerning on look but FC and maintenance. Am now riding 405SRM which nearly 20 years old but it still running well.

As for 407 auto four gears, it lasting and lesser problem ? I understand that the auto gear is always problematic.

How many 407 model ( besides classic and premium ) in the market ? Does 407 has turbo ?

For a use car, people advise to get at this year end due to price drop and to skip 6% GST in 2015.

What is your advice ?

MASsenger

Posted 04 May 2014 - 07:52 PM

MASsenger

Fast & Furious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,393 posts
QUOTE (Najib405 @ May 4 2014, 01:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thank for sharing.

What is 408 `NA`?

I am not concerning on look but FC and maintenance. Am now riding 405SRM which nearly 20 years old but it still running well.

As for 407 auto four gears, it lasting and lesser problem ? I understand that the auto gear is always problematic.

How many 407 model ( besides classic and premium ) in the market ? Does 407 has turbo ?

For a use car, people advise to get at this year end due to price drop and to skip 6% GST in 2015.

What is your advice ?

NA is normally aspirated, non turbo in other words. Ya price always drops end of the year. Don't exactly know how GST will affect. 2 types of 407,Standard and Premium. From 08 onward models, additional cooler added to GB,no problems reported on these. I think you'll be able to get a 2010 model for around 60K now.

The only thing the 407 lacks is a turbo unit. I read china has after market turbo unit for this engine. 200hp/270nm, that is sweeeeet! Frankly if I had a 407,I'll not sell,juice it up with a turbo! Btw if you put in a turbo unit,please upgrade the brakes too. Many ppl overlook this. IMO it is essential to be able to handle the extra power!

Yup it's time to upgrade your old Lion. 407s are now good value for money,with a turbo,it's a Lion King! I'll be 'J' bro,my 408t puts out only 163hp/240nm.

FC on 408NA and unmod 407 is about the same. Both run on the same engine,408 is tuned a bit higher.

However maintenance will be different.
2012 408NA is 2 years old. Another 3 years warranty balance. New GB,no problem reports so far. Maintenance will be low since warranty will cover defective parts.
2010 407 is 4years old. Maintenance will be high cos no warranty! 4 year old car will have more wear & tear items.

The REALdeal

freeck

Posted 28 May 2014 - 06:34 AM

freeck

Taxi Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 283 posts
QUOTE (zalan @ Sep 21 2012, 08:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ah, I kinda thought its a bit strange for a high-spec car not to have the standard auto-lock function. maybe that'll need fixing. anyway, thanks for the information, i'm really looking forward to be among the few gems on the road!

Press long the lock switch n autolock will be activated...do the same to deactivate .