Welcome to Autoworld Forum !

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Close
Photo

303 Aerospace Protectant

• Please log in to reply

azbro

Posted 14 May 2012 - 11:51 AM

azbro

Tokyo Drifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,861 posts
QUOTE (jonlsl @ May 14 2012, 11:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
hahaha can apply 303 until tired one ah? Then use a ROB or DA to buff next time. hahaha.

hhhmmm. wonder if we clean the plastics bits properly with APC and then try to apply a very thin layer using a foam applicator pad then let it dry for 5mins then buff, would that be better? So if its a water based product, can try dilute it with some water.

I did clean the area before application but I applied full strenght on it.

Anyway, you gave me a good idea to dilute it. I test out this method in my long term durability test too.

thx

vr2turbo

Posted 14 May 2012 - 04:19 PM

vr2turbo

Forum Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 71,443 posts
Some prefer shiny and some matte, so all depends on personal preference again.....

jonlsl

Posted 14 May 2012 - 04:26 PM

jonlsl

Fast & Furious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,013 posts
QUOTE (vr2turbo @ May 14 2012, 04:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Some prefer shiny and some matte, so all depends on personal preference again.....

If you like both buy DG203 matte on nissan and shiny on handa. hahahaha.

vr2turbo

Posted 14 May 2012 - 04:56 PM

vr2turbo

Forum Ninja

• Members
  • 71,443 posts
QUOTE (jonlsl @ May 14 2012, 04:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If you like both buy DG203 matte on nissan and shiny on handa. hahahaha.

Yup, depends on the surface material too. Local tyres and imported Japs tyres gives different shine also..... smile_shock.gif

My Hyundai dash shines more then my Mitsu dash...... smile_tongue.gif

azbro

Posted 26 May 2012 - 11:43 AM

azbro

Tokyo Drifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,861 posts
For my review on the 303 Aerospace, please refer to here:
http://forum.autowor...h...02301&st=60

This is an update and some conclusion by me.

After 2 weeks ( condition was raining for most of the days)

Plastic Black bumper
Previous:

After 2 weeks:

Can say only half of it left.

Tires:

After 2 weeks

Can't see it already

Dash:

Still good, give a nice luster look.

Well, this is my conclusion.
1) This is not a apply and forget product...for external, you have to apply it at minimum once a month. I would like it to be more durable to something like gel form instead of water based.
2) Some plastic molds do not need 303, just any reputable affordable product will do.
3) For tires, I dun think ppl will need it. Nothing beats a fresh coat of new gloss every week.
4) Great for the dash...i love it, especially since my Peugeot comes with a panoramic roof, the dash can be quite bright reflection on the windscreen if use glossy product. 303 is just right.
5) Good for rubber trims.
6) It streaks in the rain, but after 1 time wiping, it wont streak again.
7) Not for matt black stickers...doesn't stick on it long
8) I do apply it only my plastic lens headlights, again, need to be applied monthly.

Summary:
This is a good 'all in one' product...but its main purpose is to excel in UV protection and has very little negative side effects on the parts that its applied on. Durability in one thing thats questionable since it doesn't last for several weeks for external applications. So regular maintenance is required to maintain the surface.

Since ppl buy the 303 for different reasons, some use it on their boats, some on car tops, dashboard, plastic lens, some even for the engine!..303 aerospace protectant will continue to sell well even though the price is on the higher side.

For me, I'll use it for my dashboard, rubber linings, some plastic rubberized trims and headlight....but for the rest of the car like tires, black plastic molds and trims, I'll prefer something more lasting and affordable.

vr2turbo

Posted 28 May 2012 - 11:25 AM

vr2turbo

Forum Ninja

• Members
  • 71,443 posts
I guess most products on the exterior and with the elements of rain and shine it would not last..... smile_wink.gif

bkhong

Posted 11 June 2012 - 04:32 PM

bkhong

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 204 posts

Hi All,

I too am considering getting UV protectants for interiors, our Malaysian sun is like Death Star ray...

However, there are differing opinions regarding the protectants:
  1. Harmful for health (you are breathing in microscopic amount left on the dash surface etc.)
  2. The chemicals inside the protectant actually ages the rubber/silicone/plastic, but the glossy look hide the deterioration. Once applied, you must never stop applying and continue the application.

Can anyone here share their good/bad experience? Preferably due to long term usage (years) rather than a few months?

jonlsl

Posted 11 June 2012 - 04:46 PM

jonlsl

Fast & Furious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,013 posts
QUOTE (bkhong @ Jun 11 2012, 04:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi All,

I too am considering getting UV protectants for interiors, our Malaysian sun is like Death Star ray...

1. Harmful for health (you are breathing in microscopic amount left on the dash surface etc.)
  2. The chemicals inside the protectant actually ages the rubber/silicone/plastic, but the glossy look hide the deterioration. Once applied, you must never stop applying and continue the application.

Can anyone here share their good/bad experience? Preferably due to long term usage (years) rather than a few months?

1. I have never heard nor seen any documented cases of "Death by Vinyl Protectant" yet.

2. If the protectant is of cheap quality and they use the wrong solvent, surfactants or emulsifiers it can harm vinyl, rubber or plastic in the long run. So to be safe use branded stuff for the right application. What i mean "right application" is that there are some "smart" buggers on the net and on youtube which tells you to use tyre shine for you dash for a fast a wet shiny look. Just because it has silicones doesn't mean that the rest of the product is formulated the same. Tyre shine may have solvents, surfactants and other chemicals which are not compatible with vinyl and plastic and like you said can release dangerous fumes in a heated car. So use a branded plastic and vinyl protector for vinyl and plastic and use a tyre shine for shinning tyres and use what the product was designed for.

Both my cars are 14yrs and still doing well and I'm still alive. biggrin.gif

bkhong

Posted 11 June 2012 - 08:40 PM

bkhong

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 204 posts
QUOTE (jonlsl @ Jun 11 2012, 04:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
1. I have never heard nor seen any documented cases of "Death by Vinyl Protectant" yet.

2. If the protectant is of cheap quality and they use the wrong solvent, surfactants or emulsifiers it can harm vinyl, rubber or plastic in the long run. So to be safe use branded stuff for the right application. What i mean "right application" is that there are some "smart" buggers on the net and on youtube which tells you to use tyre shine for you dash for a fast a wet shiny look. Just because it has silicones doesn't mean that the rest of the product is formulated the same. Tyre shine may have solvents, surfactants and other chemicals which are not compatible with vinyl and plastic and like you said can release dangerous fumes in a heated car. So use a branded plastic and vinyl protector for vinyl and plastic and use a tyre shine for shinning tyres and use what the product was designed for.

Both my cars are 14yrs and still doing well and I'm still alive. biggrin.gif

Thanks Jon. Your death by protectant statement had me bursting out in laughter!

Which product are you using?

azbro

Posted 11 June 2012 - 08:44 PM

azbro

Tokyo Drifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,861 posts
QUOTE (bkhong @ Jun 11 2012, 04:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi All,

1.Harmful for health I'm not sure abt it...but at least for me, when applying these stuff its good to use some cheapo rubber gloves rather than bare hands..

2.Is that the 'Armor All' brand you are talking abt?