Welcome to Autoworld Forum !

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Close
Photo

Toyota Camry 2012

• Please log in to reply

kennyng111

Posted 19 August 2014 - 04:46 PM

kennyng111

Driver

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts
QUOTE (elan @ Aug 18 2014, 09:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Got the Black 2.0G with black seat... changed to lighter rim and quieter tyres.. no complain... been enjoying the 4-speed sequential GB for fun driving...

would 5 speed be a better choice instead of 4 speed ? now the camry 2.5 is 6 speed ? Why didnt UMW stick with 4 speed like in 2.0, based on the exact reasoning by you : for the camry 2.4 (5 speed) & now camry 2.5 (6 speed) ? Did you not write in to advise UMW ?
Yes, many other companies are giving more : VW already gives 7 speed for their entry level polo tsi. BMW & Lexus already using 8 speed. Next if Ford with their 10 speed, i have no idea when that is going to happen.
Bro elan, you must make it your fight to educate these companies that just wants to charge consumers more for these useless extra gears

I hope you win.
Regards
Kenny

elan

Posted 19 August 2014 - 09:54 PM

elan

Fast & Furious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,309 posts
QUOTE (kennyng111 @ Aug 19 2014, 04:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
would 5 speed be a better choice instead of 4 speed ? now the camry 2.5 is 6 speed ? Why didnt UMW stick with 4 speed like in 2.0, based on the exact reasoning by you : for the camry 2.4 (5 speed) & now camry 2.5 (6 speed) ? Did you not write in to advise UMW ?
Yes, many other companies are giving more : VW already gives 7 speed for their entry level polo tsi. BMW & Lexus already using 8 speed. Next if Ford with their 10 speed, i have no idea when that is going to happen.
Bro elan, you must make it your fight to educate these companies that just wants to charge consumers more for these useless extra gears

I hope you win.
Regards
Kenny

For a same car,
More speed = more complexity (mechanically & electronically) + more weight + more space = more expensive = more bragging right?

Drivers can always opt to pay extra RM20K for 6-speed AT, but I do feel 4 & 5 speed is not much different.
Fuel consumption wise , different between 2 n 7 speeds may be around 2 - 5%. (Depends on the technology - losses increases with more speed)

Many european brands go for more gears because there are exercising engine-downsizing, smaller and lighter enginer but with turbo charger... which is normally operating at higher RPM .. so wider RPM range and as such more gears are needed.

My opinion - this camry, being an uncle's car, shall be drive leisurely...

..Friend by chance, enemy by choice...

amir

Posted 20 August 2014 - 09:53 AM

amir

Taxi Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 490 posts
QUOTE (elan @ Aug 19 2014, 09:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
For a same car,
More speed = more complexity (mechanically & electronically) + more weight + more space = more expensive = more bragging right?

Drivers can always opt to pay extra RM20K for 6-speed AT, but I do feel 4 & 5 speed is not much different.
Fuel consumption wise , different between 2 n 7 speeds may be around 2 - 5%. (Depends on the technology - losses increases with more speed)

Many european brands go for more gears because there are exercising engine-downsizing, smaller and lighter enginer but with turbo charger... which is normally operating at higher RPM .. so wider RPM range and as such more gears are needed.

My opinion - this camry, being an uncle's car, shall be drive leisurely...

Been driving 4 speed and 7 speed auto for quite some time and honestly nothing really spectacular about the 7 speed. Give me a
5 speed manual anytime. If the engine has high low to mid range torque, why does it need so many gears. Faster and
smoother shifting, fuel economy, up to date tech, feeling of premiumness etc? I'm not against latest tech. Its good. Its just that
more is not neccessarily better and less is not neccessarily inferior. They both have their own pros and cons.

Btw, the facelifted 2015 US camry looks nice. Tempting.

elan

Posted 25 August 2014 - 11:27 AM

elan

Fast & Furious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,309 posts
At the end of the day, driving is a man-machine activity...

driver's attributes (e.g. behaviour & skills) + machine's characteristics = perceived feeling...

slow-witted driver + less responsive machine = just right, good feeling --> good car

slow-witted driver + fast responsive machine = uncontrollable, bad feeling --> bad car

fast driver + less responsive machine = sluggish, bad feeling --> bad car

fast driver + fast responsive machine = lovely, good feeling --> good car

so-so driver + so-so responsive machine = hahaha ..... get CVT!!!!! --> so-so car...

..Friend by chance, enemy by choice...

humble10x

Posted 17 September 2014 - 02:25 PM

humble10x

1st Gear

• Members
  • 1 posts
Dear all,

With the current specs and discount of 11,000 for Camry 2.0g

Is it worth it?

Really need a reliable car...saw sonata 2.0 with discount of 17,000 however I test drove a sonata with 50,000km plus clocked in....the cabin vibrated like hell...made me to really reconsider heavy specs vs reliability...