Welcome to Autoworld Forum !

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Close
Photo

The French Affair

• Please log in to reply

Andy214

Posted 21 July 2010 - 04:31 PM

Andy214

Tokyo Drifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,549 posts
QUOTE (jc81 @ Jul 21 2010, 04:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
wow...that's good resale value of our lion...after a year, only a loss of RM10K...not bad at all.. smile.gif but I'm definitely not selling mine anytime soon...hehehehhe

"Normally", the first year or first few year it drops more. It also depends on the price of the car, so usually it's calculated by percentage. A RM200K car will surely loose more on the first year, else if it also drop 10K first year, it'll take ages for it to drop below RM100K.

Considering RM10K loss, that's around 10% already...

kaminski

Posted 21 July 2010 - 04:36 PM

kaminski

Fast & Furious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,922 posts
QUOTE (Andy214 @ Jul 21 2010, 04:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
"Normally", the first year or first few year it drops more. It also depends on the price of the car, so usually it's calculated by percentage. A RM200K car will surely loose more on the first year, else if it also drop 10K first year, it'll take ages for it to drop below RM100K.

Considering RM10K loss, that's around 10% already...

In the UK its usually a drop of 50% plus after 3 years depending on the make, the German brands seem to hold up longer. For Malaysia, I have no idea! I'll guess I will know when I sell!
The way to combat obnoxious ideas is with other ideas. The way to combat falsehoods is with truth.

Some bugger hijacked my Avatar!

jc81

Posted 21 July 2010 - 05:36 PM

jc81

Advanced

• Members
  • Pip
  • 66 posts
QUOTE (kaminski @ Jul 21 2010, 04:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
In the UK its usually a drop of 50% plus after 3 years depending on the make, the German brands seem to hold up longer. For Malaysia, I have no idea! I'll guess I will know when I sell!

hmmm..i think for Malaysia, typically it's 30% for the first year..so I think 10% for the first year, it's considered good, no? biggrin.gif

wisconsin9

Posted 21 July 2010 - 05:39 PM

wisconsin9

Road Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 662 posts
QUOTE (whitestorm @ Jul 20 2010, 03:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Maybe it's because of the tight crew you guys have here that makes it special being part of the Lion family.

Tight? You sure?? They say there is one idiot in the Lion 'crew/family' that is very annoying and rude in his posting on online forums. Even I hate his postings sometimes. smile_tongue.gif

Andy214

Posted 21 July 2010 - 06:03 PM

Andy214

Tokyo Drifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,549 posts
QUOTE (kaminski @ Jul 21 2010, 04:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Not sure about UK average standard of living and affordability of average car. But in Malaysia, an average salary of say RM2K, buying a car is like working your *ss to loan the car, not to forget about the high maintenance, parts price, and standard of living, etc. If the person wants to buy house, have a family, it's another story altogether.

In TW, you might work whole life and unable to afford a house or condo, but even with average salary, you can live good life. My TW boss find it hard to accept the Malaysian standard of living, especially the purchase of car and the maintenance, and repair cost.

QUOTE (jc81 @ Jul 21 2010, 05:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
hmmm..i think for Malaysia, typically it's 30% for the first year..so I think 10% for the first year, it's considered good, no? biggrin.gif

For Japanese, I think the range is around 5%~10% for first year? Not sre, didn't follow very long already plus not everyone put a lot of emphasis on resale value unless one is always changing their ride.

Andy214

Posted 21 July 2010 - 06:04 PM

Andy214

Tokyo Drifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,549 posts
QUOTE (wisconsin9 @ Jul 21 2010, 05:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Tight? You sure?? They say there is one idiot in the Lion 'crew/family' that is very annoying and rude in his posting on online forums. Even I hate his postings sometimes. smile_tongue.gif

1Autoworld 1Peugeot 1Nasim smile_tongue.gif

mankarat

Posted 21 July 2010 - 10:25 PM

mankarat

Road Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 547 posts
Resale value not important to me and perhaps most of us. Because we find what we looking for. Not like other jap drivers.Normally before decide to buy the car we know about low resale value of the car. Its not because the car is not good.. But maybe more on spare parts availability. But now seems like not very hard to get a spare part for this especially for someone live at big town. Plus we have internet nowadays.. can source outside.. Its a strong bonds between this french car and the driver.. Perhaps, jap car after 9 years will depreciate the same value with conti as well...

tekeitho

Posted 22 July 2010 - 12:40 AM

tekeitho

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 117 posts
QUOTE (mankarat @ Jul 21 2010, 10:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Resale value not important to me and perhaps most of us. Because we find what we looking for. Not like other jap drivers.Normally before decide to buy the car we know about low resale value of the car. Its not because the car is not good.. But maybe more on spare parts availability. But now seems like not very hard to get a spare part for this especially for someone live at big town. Plus we have internet nowadays.. can source outside.. Its a strong bonds between this french car and the driver.. Perhaps, jap car after 9 years will depreciate the same value with conti as well...

I love driving especially in good car...I don't think about 2nd hand value when purchasing the lion as I know most of Malaysian will I'm either idiot or too rich... smile.gif I'm neither rich nor idiot but just fall in love with the ride...

wisconsin9

Posted 22 July 2010 - 12:58 AM

wisconsin9

Road Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 662 posts
QUOTE (Andy214 @ Jul 21 2010, 06:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
1Autoworld 1Peugeot 1Nasim smile_tongue.gif

Hail Brother! 1237.gif

Andy214

Posted 22 July 2010 - 09:38 AM

Andy214

Tokyo Drifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,549 posts
QUOTE (mankarat @ Jul 21 2010, 10:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't think need 9 years, maybe depending on the model. When there is a change of new model, if the new model is a way better, there will be less and less demand on the old model (e.g. one example is the Camry). On the other hand, if the new model isn't that good, people might prefer the older model (e.g. one example is the Vios).
Its worst if the models is 2 or more generation older. If say 9 years, I'm not sure how many generation have been replaced.
Then again, usually, the turn-over rate is shorter and higher for these types of car. A friend I know told me that he won't own a car for long time, usually he will change it after the warranty, well, I believe that's also what most non-conti owners have in mind.