Welcome to Autoworld Forum !

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Close
Photo

[important] Peugeot Al4 Gearbox Advice

• Please log in to reply

bkhong

Posted 03 April 2013 - 02:57 PM

bkhong

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 204 posts
QUOTE (mmonterov @ Feb 5 2013, 12:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi guys, hopefully someone can point me in the right direction, does anybody knows where I can buy online the sequence electrovalves evs, for a peugeot 206.

I had been searching all over the internet with no luck, since I do not know the part number.

thanks.

Mario

I will check my SC invoice, but I doubt it will show the part number.
For all we know, SC is charging us 100% more :-P

sammydiaz

Posted 27 February 2014 - 11:02 PM

sammydiaz

2nd Gear

• Members
  • 2 posts
i had the same problem u had...i only have citroen c3 ..but same al4 gearbox... u can order here... cheap original parts... copy and paste the link... im ordering ..transmission parts there

http://gztranspeed.e.../...e&edm_ver=e

QUOTE (mmonterov @ Feb 5 2013, 12:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi guys, hopefully someone can point me in the right direction, does anybody knows where I can buy online the sequence electrovalves evs, for a peugeot 206.

I had been searching all over the internet with no luck, since I do not know the part number.

thanks.

Mario

sammydiaz

Posted 27 February 2014 - 11:05 PM

sammydiaz

2nd Gear

• Members
  • 2 posts
Here is the Link for Solenoid 257419 and 257416 u can buy original parts here

http://gztranspeed.e.../...e&edm_ver=e

paull8

Posted 07 May 2014 - 01:50 PM

paull8

1st Gear

• Members
  • 1 posts
QUOTE (Andy214 @ Feb 19 2008, 10:59 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
CARZ,

Correction, I`m not saying AL4 gearbox failures to "LONG STORAGE". It`s
that it could be due to long storage, there`s is lifespand and
deteriorates (minimum"ly"); thus when it reach the owners hand and drive
for another 1 year, it could have already be not in a good condition.

Please check Peugeot Bermuda service schedule advice. It`s said that the
ATF Fluid NEEDS to be changed every 1 year (under usage). When not use,
yes, there is less wear and tear, but there`s still lifespan in terms of
time, I believe everything does. Plus, not to mentioned, it`s is OPEN
from the container and exposed before it is filled into the box.
Plus, why do you think there is 60,00KM or "2 years". They always specify
a time interval for changing any form of lubricants.
There`s even a lifespan in terms of "time" for Timing Belt, so does many
other parts.
When you buy a long storage car, they will change the Engine Oil for you,
Brake Fluids, etc. That`s what I know and experience.
The Brake Fluid change interval is also mentioned in Peugeot Bermuda
Servicing.

Again, as mentioned, if you google around, you`ll find many people saying
that there`s no such thing as ATF last a lifetime, and again, please
refer the the Citroen PDF on the first post itself.

1. 407 suffer AL4 problem immediately upon registration? Can you share
some stories? The 307 and 206 are also usingthe AL4 am I right?

Lastly, I`m not trying to argue this AL4 is realible. How problematic is
it, what`s the point for keep complaing and saying it`s bad. The
important thing is find out what could be *possibly* the reasons and how
each driver take cares of it, so we, as drivers, can understand better,
instead of just "living" with it, saying it`s simply useless and faulty.
Right?
The examples I given above are just what I "think" might be the
*possible* reasons, and also trying to find out why those whose AL4 fails
fail. There`re many AL4 users, including 206, 307, 407. It`s good to know
why certain have no problems at all, and why (possible outcome/reason)
certain AL4 suddenly fails at certain mileage.

I do agree with that nothing last forever, however GB ATF oil should not be changing every 10,20, 40 or....
Look at the Peugeot 406 with a German gearbox, no need to change ATF oil for life. I have used for 10 yeas with 360000 km and it still function as normal. Mind you my driving habits on highways is pedal NEVER leaves the floor board and could rach up to 195 km/hr.
I have every reason to believe that Peugeot is cutting COST and getting Jap craps into a European cars, Jesus..it make no sense at all.
406 and 407 are 4 cylinders and the 406 engine so much smoother than 407.
Just share with you guys, Holden once they replace Jap crap engine, it totally unsaleable, why customer confidence totally lost and leaves them to die a natural death.
As for the Aisin GB, they will NEVER give quality stuff to outsider and thei strategy to kill the europeans with cheap cheap GB's and here we are all complaining about the problems with GB. I am one them. I always thought the French has a pride in doing good stuff out but not now.
Look at other brands of cars when they are manufacture outside the origin, never be better than its origin. Toyota, Honda are very good examples and they have more problems than the ones direct from Japan.
Look at Japan, their cars in Japan is so solid and comparable with the europeans and my experience tells me alot about them.
So my next car would not be a Peugeot until they change.

Bye

afadzil21

Posted 10 August 2014 - 08:38 AM

afadzil21

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
Hi everyone. I recently had my ATF and thermostat changed at SC. Next day driving, as normal. Put the car in D driving, and then suddenly a '-' appear in gearbox position display. Stopped the car, start again, once in P, all appears Ok. Once I shift to D, it happens again . switching to manual tiptronic mode, I get indication back. Go back to D, and I get a '-' in the display. Car shifts fine. Any advice? Definitely going back to SC. My car is about 4 years old, mileage only 52k. Serviced exactly according to manual on time.

wildfaye29

Posted 09 February 2015 - 09:47 PM

wildfaye29

6th Gear

• Members
  • 7 posts
Hi, I'm from Singapore.

Grand Picasso w 1.6THP and AL4 Box.

Its 5yr old w 100K kms. ATF replaced every 30K.

Over the years, experienced jerky, not smooth changes, hesitation to downshift, loud clunk when engaging gears under hard accelation, etc. U name it, I prob have it all.

The 2 main electrovalves had been changed under warranty before but the symptoms persist. I believe the new Borg Warner valves were changed and a ECU reflash w new software was also done.

Does changing the 6 EVS valves help?

Recently, I noticed that revs are abit sticky. When I release throttle in any gear, the revs come down slowly to 1K. I also noticed that the engine sounds high revs, meaning, the revs is indeed high, not just the revs display being retarded (both car tacho and OBD tacho).

Also, I’m not sure if it’s because of this, the gear changes seem retarded as the gears cannot be engaged due the high revs. The revs must reduce prior to the engaging the gear, resulting in loss of acceleration, time, pickup. Potentially dangerous in an overtaking situation.

What could be the issue here? There are no fault codes.

I hope someone here can point me to the right direction. I intend to keep this car for a long time.

Thanks!
Sam - Singapore

wildfaye29

Posted 14 February 2015 - 05:39 PM

wildfaye29

6th Gear

• Members
  • 7 posts
QUOTE (SilverBullet @ Jun 13 2010, 10:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi guys! wow this is a very long thread about the AL4 giving flashing lights and problems.

Well, I've dismantled my AL4 hydraulic valve block and put it back together. Read it here: http://my206xr.blogs...alve-block.html

What I can tell you is that:

1. Don't ever drive the 206 into deep water, especially in heavy rain, else you'll end up with water in the gear box.
2. Change the ATF, like every few thousand km. This is Malaysia and the hot weather is bad for the ATF.
3. Use only GENUINE PEUGEOT ATF (ESSO ATF 4HP20 AL4).

It seems a lot of ppl here like to cut and paste information from the internet and post it here as fact. Please please share personal factual experiences instead, which is more useful.

Hi! I read your blog, very informative!

I am facing some issues with my AL4 too.

Its on a 2010 Grand Picasso 1.6THP with paddle shifters.

I am thinking of replacing the 2 big electrovalves again. This time also replace the 6 EVS valves too.

In you opinion, will this help in reducing my problems?

I am also thinking of installing a larger heat exchanger on the gearbox too. Hopefully this can reduce the ATF temp and allow smoother changes.

Look forward to you reply and insight.

Cheers!

bm_dp

Posted 23 February 2015 - 04:27 PM

bm_dp

Taxi Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 258 posts
QUOTE (wildfaye29 @ Feb 14 2015, 05:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi! I read your blog, very informative!

I am facing some issues with my AL4 too.

Its on a 2010 Grand Picasso 1.6THP with paddle shifters.

I am thinking of replacing the 2 big electrovalves again. This time also replace the 6 EVS valves too.

In you opinion, will this help in reducing my problems?

I am also thinking of installing a larger heat exchanger on the gearbox too. Hopefully this can reduce the ATF temp and allow smoother changes.

Look forward to you reply and insight.

Cheers!

Don't think the gear change issue is caused by the 2 EVMs. The other 6 EVS - have not heard of any failures.... very3 rare.
Try to discount the possibility of the ATF and the fluid level. Am assuming this is done correctly. The procedure for changing ATF must be followed strictly, ie. on flat level, ATF temp 60 deg C, drain the excess until it just starts to drip.
If the above have been confirmed done also, then i suspect it could be mechanical in nature (perhaps the valve body). Overfilling of ATF by 500ml is a cause for concern, feels a bit sluggish in gear changes and 'heavy' overall. On the other side, I have ran the AL4 with -440ml underfill, no problems also (so far but I have topped it up since). AL4 uses engine coolant to manage the heat (based on my 1st generation AL4 - Citroen Evasion 2001) . This should be ard 88 degC, or on later cars, gets closer to 95-100 deg C to get better fuel efficiency (such as your prince 1.6THP engine). At this temperature, your ATF operational lifespan would (in theory - Google this) reduce significantly. Installing an ATF would certainly help BUT it will also introduce a new problem to manage, the TCU might think that there is a failure due to the lower than expected ATF temp. This is more evident when you stop and put in "N"or "P" mode. The famous snow & sports mode flashing... hope this helps.