Welcome to Autoworld Forum !

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Close
Photo

Honda City Throttle Problem

• Please log in to reply

dongshujie

Posted 13 August 2011 - 12:47 PM

dongshujie

1st Gear

• Members
  • 1 posts
James,
i guess i'm having similiar problem as you. my 2007 Honda city just did 80k service last month but still having a the jerking while about to start running the car. i went to Honda SC the chief foreman is telling me that need to change gearbox and even overhaul then gearbox also need RM8k to RM9k and not guarantee the problem will fix. Seriously, to all the City owner out there, if you have the problem fix without cost a huge bom please share. Really appreciate it.

SK

wongdaniel

Posted 17 August 2011 - 07:27 AM

wongdaniel

Driver

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts
Honda allways have prolblems.
我愛夏日長

philwong

Posted 10 September 2011 - 05:09 PM

philwong

6th Gear

• Members
  • 8 posts
My 5+ year old City VTEC started to experience this recently. Idling drops tis o near stall when slowing down at traffic light and when a.c kicks in. One mechanic thought it was the stepper motor and cleaned it. It went well for 10 days. After that I send to Honda SC and they say it's the Idle Speed Control Valve. They cleaned it but the problem still persists. Changing it will cost about RM1K.

I havent cleaned the throttle body yet. It appears that the throttle body can be cleaned in 2 ways. One is basic cleaning with a spray and other is with a machine. I will probably try the latter and report back.

At this point I dont know who to believe.

andlind3

Posted 21 September 2011 - 01:16 AM

andlind3

5th Gear

• Members
  • 5 posts
QUOTE (philwong @ Sep 10 2011, 05:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My 5+ year old City VTEC started to experience this recently. Idling drops tis o near stall when slowing down at traffic light and when a.c kicks in. One mechanic thought it was the stepper motor and cleaned it. It went well for 10 days. After that I send to Honda SC and they say it's the Idle Speed Control Valve. They cleaned it but the problem still persists. Changing it will cost about RM1K.

I havent cleaned the throttle body yet. It appears that the throttle body can be cleaned in 2 ways. One is basic cleaning with a spray and other is with a machine. I will probably try the latter and report back.

Hi phil,

Did you solve the jerk/dropped rpm issue?
I bought a 2nd hand 06 city idsi with only 54k km on it. i noticed the jerk/dropped rpm issue, but was unaware it was a honda cvt problem. It happens occasionally now and I am wondering if it will not get worse. I will be v interested to know your experience. Is it really a throttle body problem? or a gearbox issue? I also notice when idle on uphill road the acceleration (esp with a full load) has a little initial shudder .. was wondering if that is the same with others. would really appreciate some good advice esp from city owners.

philwong

Posted 05 October 2011 - 09:38 PM

philwong

6th Gear

• Members
  • 8 posts
QUOTE (andlind3 @ Sep 21 2011, 01:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi phil,

Did you solve the jerk/dropped rpm issue?
I bought a 2nd hand 06 city idsi with only 54k km on it. i noticed the jerk/dropped rpm issue, but was unaware it was a honda cvt problem. It happens occasionally now and I am wondering if it will not get worse. I will be v interested to know your experience. Is it really a throttle body problem? or a gearbox issue? I also notice when idle on uphill road the acceleration (esp with a full load) has a little initial shudder .. was wondering if that is the same with others. would really appreciate some good advice esp from city owners.

Hi andlind3

Problem not solved. It would appear that the machine cleaning is just as good as the manual hand wipe off. I will likely see what price the stepper motor is going to cost first and then look into changing the idle speed control valve later. I don't think Honda SC is going to guarantee their troubleshooting skills just in case the problem returns. In the end, we always pay for their mistakes.

I plan to sell the City off soon and get myself a Nissan or Toyota.

Rgds

Cavino

Posted 06 October 2011 - 09:56 AM

Cavino

Road Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 620 posts
QUOTE (philwong @ Oct 5 2011, 09:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi andlind3

Problem not solved. It would appear that the machine cleaning is just as good as the manual hand wipe off. I will likely see what price the stepper motor is going to cost first and then look into changing the idle speed control valve later. I don't think Honda SC is going to guarantee their troubleshooting skills just in case the problem returns. In the end, we always pay for their mistakes.

Rgds

Have you try cleaning or replacing the EGR sensor?

XXX2299

Posted 10 October 2011 - 08:52 PM

XXX2299

Road Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 924 posts
QUOTE (philwong @ Oct 5 2011, 09:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi andlind3

Rgds

Hi Phil, I would recommend toyota instead of nissan.
now riding toyota acv30 '06, with my faithful toyota 1.6 seg (m) '92 sitting next to it every night...

philwong

Posted 25 October 2011 - 09:49 PM

philwong

6th Gear

• Members
  • 8 posts
QUOTE (XXX2299 @ Oct 10 2011, 08:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi Phil, I would recommend toyota instead of nissan.

Thanks. My wife has a Vios since 2004 and though it has similar problems like my City, it's not so apparent with hers.

So yes, I'm aware that Toyota seems to be more robust than others. Now with the new VW Jetta, I'm interested and concerned about its maintenance.

Altis comes to mind, but it's now CVT as well. I wonder if its going to have the same problems.

jayraptor

Posted 25 October 2011 - 11:33 PM

jayraptor

Tokyo Drifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,070 posts
QUOTE (philwong @ Oct 25 2011, 09:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks. My wife has a Vios since 2004 and though it has similar problems like my City, it's not so apparent with hers.

So yes, I'm aware that Toyota seems to be more robust than others. Now with the new VW Jetta, I'm interested and concerned about its maintenance.

Altis comes to mind, but it's now CVT as well. I wonder if its going to have the same problems.

Me too, agree with XXX2299, go for Toyota if your choice is down to just T and N brands. N brand is trying to copy H brand's low durability issue and is having much unsolved problem.

Altis is good, best FC in sub RM130k C-segment at the moment. CVT gearbox, just make sure you use the right ATF and keep an eye on the heat warning indicator if being used extensively.

mdfaisal78

Posted 20 January 2012 - 05:55 PM

mdfaisal78

2nd Gear

• Members
  • 2 posts
QUOTE (philwong @ Sep 10 2011, 05:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi..i'm currently using honda city i-dsi 2003. I have the same experience as yours + another 2 experience that i would like to share to ou

1) i had the same prob with the very severe drop in rpm during idle. Thought it was throttle body, sent to SC for service but same issue. Finally came out that my aircond compressor is failing and causing tremendous under power and pulling the car. To confirm this, try and switch off your A/C and drive to see any difference in smoothness.

2) judder issue. I've used to experience juddering upon initial acceleration. Finally change start-up clutch, that cost me rm3.5k and problem solved totally.

3) while driving at low speed, car vibrates but once exceed rpm 1.5k, vibration goes off. Change EGR valve and prob solved.

4) metal clash sound when switch on a/c and worst if you press brake at D. I Change flywheel and prob solved.

Imagine how much have I spent replacing this problems. Sigh!