Welcome to Autoworld Forum !

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Close
Photo

Durability And Maintenance Of Peugeot After 5 Years

• Please log in to reply

lee5079

Posted 23 November 2009 - 11:41 PM

lee5079

Road Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 568 posts
Lets keep this thread to the Peugeot's. We can discuss about the Forte at either the Kia / Naza sections.

Epang,

Thanks for the info on the 407, none of the 3 x SA from two showrooms have actually told me any of those. How much is the additional for the reverse sensor's option ?

I don't really like distance relationship tongue.gif as some things still need to be handle face to face which will be better, especially where there are some follow ups stuffs that could be dealing face to face.

chargerguy

Posted 23 November 2009 - 11:53 PM

chargerguy

Fast & Furious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,341 posts
QUOTE (blackdolph @ Nov 23 2009, 01:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have a 405 which I bought in 2000(3rd hand) and a 406 which I bought in 2004(3rd hand too). Will be getting a facelifted 407 within a few years(or maybe less coz my butt is very itchy already) when the 2nd hand price drops. All I can say that it's not a cheap car to maintain if you want to keep it in tip top condition(compared to National cars) but it's the same case for my other Japanese cars. OEM parts are not as in abundance compared to Jap cars but then again I do not recommend OEM parts due to safety and durability issues.

If you want hard figures regarding service/maintenance and also spare parts, do come by our normal Sat night TT(will be updated in this forum) and many of us oldies will be glad to assist.

Having said that, if cost of maintenance and depreciation is of most concern to you, I will suggest you forget about Conti cars and go for Japs. However, driving satisfaction and safety will not be the same. Then again, the cost of original spare parts in Authorised SC for Japs and Peugeot are not much different... with many wear & tear parts cheaper in Peugeot SC compared Jap cars SC, as I have experienced.

I can also introduce you to a guy whose whole family drives Peugeot only. Total more than 5 at home. Then again I can introduce you to my neighbour who only drives Honda and another who only drives Toyota. Both live side by side. HAHAHAHA!! PM me if you need more info. Cheers.

Japs also can built some SAFE and SATISFY stuff...kaKAkaKAkaKKAkaKAkaKAkaKAkaAk

smile.gif

wy4870

Posted 23 November 2009 - 11:54 PM

wy4870

Road Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 662 posts
QUOTE (sootienann @ Nov 23 2009, 09:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
get the kia forte.
much cheaper than peugeot.
from reviews, handling is good (assuming we get euro spec suspension).

in another six months, there will be a lot of self-congratulatory posts in the kia forum,
praising their forte and looking down on any other cars.
same thing as what i see a lot of currently in peugeot forum

Sootie , I don know what other forummers think about your replies to their postings but to me,
its just harmless ribbings . Some of them were offended by you but i find your postings
rather amusing and nothing personal. smile_thumbup.gif smile_big.gif

seanswn

Posted 23 November 2009 - 11:57 PM

seanswn

Taxi Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 380 posts
QUOTE (lee5079 @ Nov 23 2009, 11:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Lets keep this thread to the Peugeot's. We can discuss about the Forte at either the Kia / Naza sections.

Epang,

Thanks for the info on the 407, none of the 3 x SA from two showrooms have actually told me any of those. How much is the additional for the reverse sensor's option ?

I don't really like distance relationship tongue.gif as some things still need to be handle face to face which will be better, especially where there are some follow ups stuffs that could be dealing face to face.

After 4 years ownership of a 406. and Exchanged it with a BMW E36 328i.

So assume both from the same generation (1997-98).

BMW maintenance undercut my 406 by 30-40%.

I always in shock when i know about the parts price of my bimmer, not because it is expensive but how affordable compare to Peugeot.

And you'll be impress how bimmer break down their parts. There is seldom the case of "comes in one set".

That's make a rough idea what is the maintenance of Peugeot.

When ppl told me the maintenance of a BMW is expensive, I just tell them "you never driven a Peugeot" :-)

Just my 2 cents....

Sold Peugeot 406 DLX
Sold BMW E36 328i
Driving BMW E39 528i
Co-Driving Volvo S40 2.4i
Hoping for BMW E60 525i
Dreaming for Lexus IS250

madrazcbr

Posted 24 November 2009 - 12:54 AM

madrazcbr

Road Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 759 posts
QUOTE (seanswn @ Nov 23 2009, 11:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
When ppl told me the maintenance of a BMW is expensive, I just tell them "you never driven a Peugeot" :-)

Just my 2 cents....

if you go to a non authorised service center than the bimmer will be more cheaper ... there is a lack of unauthorised service center for Peugeot and these authorised service centers only cater for authorised brand new spare parts ... a friend drove E46 325 and service his car at an authorised service centre in Segambut ... his fuel filter cost him RM700 ... not as expensive as 407 fuel filter ... no need for me to tell you the other things that he has to change due to wear and tear ... it is scary ... he always tell me this ... he want to sell his car but no buyer and if you trade in the shop will take it with a lower price ... so he stuck with it ...

back to the topic ... before I bought 407 ... I test the 2.4 T & H ... in term of handling no match with 407 ... well the E46 and E90 handling is at par... but the price was way up there ... previously I am quite sceptical with the resale value ... again after my HA resale value drop as much as 55% after five years ... I'll give a damn with resale value ... and if I want to make money I buy house and not car ... well if you want to buy a car and afraid of the resale value then buy local made cars cause the price is not that high and resale value will not drop like a bomb ... as long as you driving conti or car with 2.4 engine the resale value will drop cause of the perception of Malaysian ... 2.4l means expensive road tax and conti cars problem with realibility and such ... no buyer means less resale value ...

I still bought the 407 cause the package I am getting is as good as a car that cost RM180k if not better ... for 8 months no regret ... so far so good ... except that it makes me drive fast as the feeling that it gave which make 150kmh like only 100kmh ...

follow your heart and it will never let you down ...

red406

Posted 24 November 2009 - 07:12 AM

red406

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 123 posts
here's my contribution...
my first car was a peugeot 404, inherited from my father.
when i bought my own car, i just started working, it was a National car. sold it off in 1997 when peugeot reentered the local market via the 406.
drove the 406 for 12 + years. and trade in for the 407 6 months ago.

my wife's first car was also the national car, she sold it off and now drives the 206 manual transmission.
she is now eyeing the 308....

it's all in the family, and the satisfaction of driving....go figure... smile_cool.gif
Tiefer, tiefer - Irgendwo in der Tiefe gibt es ein Licht!

seanswn

Posted 24 November 2009 - 08:18 AM

seanswn

Taxi Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 380 posts
QUOTE (madrazcbr @ Nov 24 2009, 12:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
if you go to a non authorised service center than the bimmer will be more cheaper ... there is a lack of unauthorised service center for Peugeot and these authorised service centers only cater for authorised brand new spare parts ... a friend drove E46 325 and service his car at an authorised service centre in Segambut ... his fuel filter cost him RM700 ... not as expensive as 407 fuel filter ... no need for me to tell you the other things that he has to change due to wear and tear ... it is scary ... he always tell me this ... he want to sell his car but no buyer and if you trade in the shop will take it with a lower price ... so he stuck with it ...

back to the topic ... before I bought 407 ... I test the 2.4 T & H ... in term of handling no match with 407 ... well the E46 and E90 handling is at par... but the price was way up there ... previously I am quite sceptical with the resale value ... again after my HA resale value drop as much as 55% after five years ... I'll give a damn with resale value ... and if I want to make money I buy house and not car ... well if you want to buy a car and afraid of the resale value then buy local made cars cause the price is not that high and resale value will not drop like a bomb ... as long as you driving conti or car with 2.4 engine the resale value will drop cause of the perception of Malaysian ... 2.4l means expensive road tax and conti cars problem with realibility and such ... no buyer means less resale value ...

I still bought the 407 cause the package I am getting is as good as a car that cost RM180k if not better ... for 8 months no regret ... so far so good ... except that it makes me drive fast as the feeling that it gave which make 150kmh like only 100kmh ...

follow your heart and it will never let you down ...

Bro,

Who is going to repair the car @ the authorized service center after 6 years ? I do not see any 405 or 406 going back to Naza. so apple to apple, non-authorized vs. non-authorized, Bimmer is much affordable.

And it is not about the labour charges, they are around the same, the point I'm trying to bring out is the price of the parts.
Imagine OEM air filter for my bimmer only cost RM33. OEM 406 air filter would be around RM58.

Gearbox Filter is RM130 replaceable (removable easily). Gearbox filter in 406 is located inside the G/Box, need to take the whole box down, labour is around RM300, filter RM200++.

My power steering fluid reservoir cover is leaking, replace O ring - RM5.

Even 2nd spare parts for Peugeot is more expensive than others.

And yes, my 328i reach 200km/h WAY faster than my 406 :-)

And I still own a 206 Bestari for my wife and dealing with the dumb and pathetic service center every 6 months. Other than the schedule oil change, I service / replace faulty parts outside with my own money, asking them for warranty claim is harder than getting jackpot. *follow your heart and it will never let you down ... - I followed it and being sc*ewed by Naza.

I am not discouraging ppl to buy the car but, please to expect to fork out some amount of money especially if you are buying second hand. So they don't get caught in shock somewhere, and leave the car in workshop unable to repair due to no budget. I guess prepare half of the purchase price would be just right. 30K car, spare another 15K for 2 years maintenance.

2 cents
Sold Peugeot 406 DLX
Sold BMW E36 328i
Driving BMW E39 528i
Co-Driving Volvo S40 2.4i
Hoping for BMW E60 525i
Dreaming for Lexus IS250

danieltcc

Posted 24 November 2009 - 10:08 AM

danieltcc

Taxi Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 284 posts
QUOTE (seanswn @ Nov 24 2009, 08:18 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Bro,

Who is going to repair the car @ the authorized service center after 6 years ? I do not see any 405 or 406 going back to Naza. so apple to apple, non-authorized vs. non-authorized, Bimmer is much affordable.

I am still servicing my Alfa at Auto Connexion after 9 years.....

QUOTE (seanswn @ Nov 24 2009, 08:18 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
And yes, my 328i reach 200km/h WAY faster than my 406 :-)

If a 2.8 litre car is slower than the 2.2 litre or 2.0 litre Peugeot, then there's something seriously wrong with the engine. Had similar problem with my dad's 3.0 litre toyota engine. Found out the GB konked.... that's why slow pick up. smile_sleepy.gif

Daniel in the Lion's Den

sootienann

Posted 24 November 2009 - 10:18 AM

sootienann

Fast & Furious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,093 posts
better sell off your old car soon

in a couple years time no more halfcut coming in

epang

Posted 24 November 2009 - 10:19 AM

epang

Fast & Furious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,553 posts
QUOTE (lee5079 @ Nov 23 2009, 11:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Epang,

If you really want to see me face to face then i go up lor hahaha.. whats the point of seeing face to face all the time if all the info you got is wrong or nothing at all.. smile_tongue.gif