Welcome to Autoworld Forum !

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Close
Photo

New

• Please log in to reply

amanda88

Posted 24 October 2011 - 02:53 PM

amanda88

Probation

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts
Hello,

I have a problem with removing stains on my car seats. Where do i put up this question?

TQ

_.._ _ _.._ _| _.
(_|| | |(_|| |(_|(_|

vr2turbo

Posted 24 October 2011 - 05:49 PM

vr2turbo

Forum Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 71,443 posts
QUOTE (amanda88 @ Oct 24 2011, 02:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hello,

I have a problem with removing stains on my car seats. Where do i put up this question?

TQ

Auto Detailing. Will transfer you there...... smile_wink.gif

jackal400

Posted 24 October 2011 - 07:31 PM

jackal400

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 106 posts
Hmm....I, too have the similar question as TS. Just wondering if there are any APC / degreasers that can get rid the stubborn stains out of fabric seats / leather seats without having rubbing too much, ya?

eohl79

Posted 24 October 2011 - 08:39 PM

eohl79

Fast & Furious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,148 posts
My POV, try optimum power clean start with 1:8 dilution and move up to 1:3 ratio. Removes most but not all stains from fabric and leather. Some stains would require a powerful steamer to loosen up the dirt. Have not tried other APC yet. Knowing the type of stain would be useful - some can be simply removed by vinegar, baking soda or even lemon.

jackal400

Posted 24 October 2011 - 08:55 PM

jackal400

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 106 posts
QUOTE (eohl79 @ Oct 24 2011, 08:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My POV, try optimum power clean start with 1:8 dilution and move up to 1:3 ratio. Removes most but not all stains from fabric and leather. Some stains would require a powerful steamer to loosen up the dirt. Have not tried other APC yet. Knowing the type of stain would be useful - some can be simply removed by vinegar, baking soda or even lemon.

Oh ic, thanks for your recommendation btw. I haven't got the chance to try out a steam cleaner, so I'm not sure how good would it turns out. Are there anymore efficient ways of cleaning the stained edges/crevices of the seats ? AFAIK, the steam cleaner's "head" won't be able get through the mentioned sections, right ? How are we supposed to use the 3 items that you mentioned above on the stained seats, ya ? Do we need to dilute them into some kinda liquid form solution ?

eohl79

Posted 24 October 2011 - 09:37 PM

eohl79

Fast & Furious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,148 posts
I myself have not tried a steam cleaner but know that it works great as most of the fabric/carpet dirt in my car can be removed by OPC. Other sifus here should be able to comment.

I've only worked on seat fabrics. OPC should be diluted with water - try least aggressive from 1:8 ratio (1 part OPC, 8 part water) first before moving on to stronger ratio (1:5 or 1:3). Keep solution in a spray bottle. Spray solution onto a brush (medium-soft will do). Then use brush to agitate dirt out with care. After that use a damp microfiber towel to wipe away the area. Do not leave OPC behind. Ensure brush and MF towel is clean - rinse frequently. Repeat again if stain did not go away. Work on a small area at a time. Do not overwork the fabric as you might damage it - so know your limits. I would identify the stain first before working on it as there might be other better chemicals which could be more effective and less aggressive.

Have not worked with leather but you need to take greater care. Leather material comes in many grades after talking to sifu KC sometime ago. I know some are bleached and colored - cows don't come in a single color/shade. It is possible for an APC to remove the leather dye. So need extra care and test on an inconspicuous area with the least aggressive dilution first. Also, if leather has aged, color could change due to dirt trapped within the fabric. Using an APC might clean the dirt out very effectively but would leave what looks like a bleached spot. So would end up needing to clean the entire seat instead. Besides cleaning, you would also need to protect the leather with the right stuff...

vr2turbo

Posted 24 October 2011 - 10:06 PM

vr2turbo

Forum Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 71,443 posts
After that need to use wet micro fiber cloth to clean out the chemical also......

As for leather can try DG leather shampoo and then condition back with DG leather conditioner. I actually bought those for my wife's SUV because only her SUV have leather seats, but instead over the weekend she clean the house settees instead with it and conditioned back with the leather conditioner. My daughter came back and see the clean settee and also like the smell.... smile_wink.gif

amanda88

Posted 25 October 2011 - 01:01 AM

amanda88

Probation

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts
Oh my, I haven't yet elaborated on my problem and there are already several preempted answers!

Thank you so much for your answers so far, but I am afraid I have little clue to what you guys are saying! OPC? APC? DG? TS?

Here is my problem:

Yesterday it rained like a mad dog and I was drenched to my skin. I drove home completely wet, and when I woke up today, I found my car seats including passenger seats had dark water stains/rings. My car seats are not leather but light brown fabric.

I tried soap and water and did work but it involved some rubbing and I didn't want to wet my seats too much. I am afraid I can't dry my seats later.

So what is your advice? I am not a professional, so I would appreciate your trouble in explaining to a simpleton. smile.gif

My another question:
I actually came across your forum when I was fact finding about deals/discounts on car wash service. RM300+ reduced to less than RM100. I was actually warned by a friend about such car washes because they cause damage to the car paint. And from what is being discussed here, my friend's advice seems true.

But if such car washes do so much damage, then why would people still send their cars to be washed in such places? Don't they see their cars being damaged and become mad like hell?

TQ.

_.._ _ _.._ _| _.
(_|| | |(_|| |(_|(_|

cbsteh

Posted 25 October 2011 - 02:38 PM

cbsteh

Fast & Furious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,531 posts
I think the stains you are seeing is due to dirt in your seats. When the seats become wet, the dirt are "pushed" to one side by the water, causing what you see as rings or lines on the fabric.

I think they are quite easy to clean. I suggest you get Autoglym Interior Shampoo (RM58.00) from Homefix Hardware, Great Eastern Mall, Ampang. Spray onto the dirt stains and rub using a cloth (not brush). Agitate until the stains are gone. Spray when the seats are dry.

If all fails, you can try Autoglym Stain Remover (very expensive at RM100+). It has never failed me, but I can't find it at the shops anymore. Good luck.

junbecks

Posted 25 October 2011 - 02:54 PM

junbecks

Taxi Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 471 posts
for your other question, I suggest another thread be opened.
Lets solve this stain issue first.

I use meguiars quick out. Works like a charm for normal water stains.
I cant comment on choc stains or oil stains as food is generally is consumed on my couch.
Washing a car should be an artform, not a chore.

WTB Any acidic wheel cleaner
[PM me if you want Iso-propyl Alcohol, IPA.]