Welcome to Autoworld Forum !

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Close
Photo

Durability And Maintenance Of Peugeot After 5 Years

• Please log in to reply

lee5079

Posted 23 November 2009 - 11:13 AM

lee5079

Road Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 568 posts
Hi all Lions owner,

I have short listed my next car to be into 2 models where one of them is the 407 ( Tested it last weekend ). I am having a hard time to convince myself to give the Peugeot a chance ( even though I like it as much as I like the other shortlisted ) as I am not those that buying a car for just few years and move on. I own my first car until now which is an iswara year made 1999. So, if I am getting my next car, it should be able to serve me for another 10 years also.

My wife has lot of experiences with her colleagues who drove Peugeot sold their car within 3 to 5 years and move on to Japanese cars or other conti cars and never looks back.

I learned that it is not fair to listen to words from non Peugeot owners (nor from new owners that only own it < 1 ~ 2 years ) as we all know this car will be "priceless", headache on maintenance bills and parts, sensitive car ( anything happen / wrong, you will have to tow it to authorized SC )

So, in reality for those that own a Peugeot for more than 5 years, what is the real facts of keeping that car in terms of
- durability
- quality
- maintenance cost
- spare parts
- failure rates

For current 407 owner, mind sharing what is your combine driving FC and highway FC ? I noted the car is rather heavy during the test drive.. but once gaining momentum, it is ok.

thank you.

alankkwong

Posted 23 November 2009 - 12:26 PM

alankkwong

Tokyo Drifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,748 posts
I cannot comment much about Peugeot's history as I have only owned 1 for 10 months.... however, through my observation, these are my comments:-

- durability - I still see models like 405 running after 14 years on the road. There are still many of them. If you go through www.mudah.my you will still see models e.g. 504, 404 and 403 still being sold.... Continental cars do last longer than Japanese.
- quality - There is no doubt that the quality is better than the Japanese... you need to sit inside the car and feel it.
- maintenance cost - We've calculated it and found that the maintenance costs is just about 10% more expensive than the Japanese counterparts
- spare parts - My last knowledge is that Nasim don't keep much uncommon spare parts. However, they can get it from France in 2 weeks, but they will tell you about 1 month.
- failure rates - Every car has its strength and weakness. All I can say, is that Peugeots do have minor issues here and there, but which car don't? These issues can be rectified easily.

All I can say is that PUG owners buy with their heart. There is something about the car that is very special once you drive it, then you'll know. The handling is really fantastic and for the first time in my life after driving for more than 20 years, I have begun to enjoy driving.... Its an amazing feeling... My brother who drives a Volvo S60 2.0T, enjoys driving my car more than the Volvo... You need to try... then you'll know..!
Its not what you have...... its how you use it!!

lee5079

Posted 23 November 2009 - 01:26 PM

lee5079

Road Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 568 posts
Alan,

I did test drove the car and also tested sitting as the rear passenger in the same car. Both my wife and myself like the car. We wish we able to buy something by heart but thanks to our national cars, we have to be very careful in getting the next car as we are not really capable of changing car often if we happen to make a wrong decision. This is especially true when come to the brand that has bad resell value if i need to change my mind after 1 to 2 years. Nothing wrong with the car's specs, performance, comfortable that we are worrying but rather than the topics we have concern.

Both of us have tested 5 cars so far and shortlisted the 407 vs another Japanese car ( Same price range but different segment, D vs C ). I personally have no friends that are driving Conti cars and hence could not get any real life feedback from them. I knew I won't regret getting either of them as both of them are good cars ( in fact, all cars are pretty good, it is just that my personal choices / criteria made them look different )

Probably I have to rang up my uncle (which by some personal issue, will not try to do that unless necessary) to get his valuable feedback if I am still not able to get a comfortable answers on my concerns.

by the way, I am choosing a car based on their package, value for money, performance, specification, features and hence not really worry of "Cold car". I am not choosing which Brand to buy but rather which car to buy that can offers me joy in driving together with less hassle problems for years coming.

* In short, I don't want people to find a chance to tease me few years later with "You see, I have told you not to buy Conti car and you never listen to me". In terms, I wish to have a chance to change people minds about how good a Conti car can be comparing to those over priced "Branded" car with good resell value.

blackdolph

Posted 23 November 2009 - 01:41 PM

blackdolph

Road Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 884 posts
I have a 405 which I bought in 2000(3rd hand) and a 406 which I bought in 2004(3rd hand too). Will be getting a facelifted 407 within a few years(or maybe less coz my butt is very itchy already) when the 2nd hand price drops. All I can say that it's not a cheap car to maintain if you want to keep it in tip top condition(compared to National cars) but it's the same case for my other Japanese cars. OEM parts are not as in abundance compared to Jap cars but then again I do not recommend OEM parts due to safety and durability issues.

If you want hard figures regarding service/maintenance and also spare parts, do come by our normal Sat night TT(will be updated in this forum) and many of us oldies will be glad to assist.

Having said that, if cost of maintenance and depreciation is of most concern to you, I will suggest you forget about Conti cars and go for Japs. However, driving satisfaction and safety will not be the same. Then again, the cost of original spare parts in Authorised SC for Japs and Peugeot are not much different... with many wear & tear parts cheaper in Peugeot SC compared Jap cars SC, as I have experienced.

I can also introduce you to a guy whose whole family drives Peugeot only. Total more than 5 at home. Then again I can introduce you to my neighbour who only drives Honda and another who only drives Toyota. Both live side by side. HAHAHAHA!! PM me if you need more info. Cheers.

Kiss my puntang!

lee5079

Posted 23 November 2009 - 02:05 PM

lee5079

Road Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 568 posts
blackdolph,

If the topic can benefit other potential Conti cars owner especially the PUG, let keep the discussion running here until we have the tendency to carry away and got off topic. I am in Penang, probably will not be able to join any of the TT sessions unless they are in Penang or Seremban which I will be there once a month.

You are exactly the type of advice sources I am seeking for, a real user which are driving PUG for a while and best in your scenario where the car age are what I am in concern of.

Depreciation is not my major concerns ( that is my wife's concern.. but since all the cars I am looking at are "cold" car without any resell value in comparison.. it is hence not a deciding factor )

I don't mind going for Genuine parts since that will be what I will do even choosing others. One thing for sure is I will heard a lot of people around me asking why I choose a PUG if i gonna get it ( I don't really mind this but I do mind what they said is going to be true when the car get aging ). Can you elaborates more on what you meant on this in terms on the maintenance cost
Having said that, if cost of maintenance and depreciation is of most concern to you, I will suggest you forget about Conti cars and go for Japs.

Andy214

Posted 23 November 2009 - 02:06 PM

Andy214

Tokyo Drifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,549 posts
QUOTE (lee5079 @ Nov 23 2009, 01:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I knew I won't regret getting either of them as both of them are good cars (in fact, all cars are pretty good, it is just that my personal choices / criteria made them look different )

by the way, I am choosing a car based on their package, value for money, performance, specification, features and hence not really worry of "Cold car". I am not choosing which Brand to buy but rather which car to buy that can offers me joy in driving together with less hassle problems for years coming.

smile_thumbup.gif smile_thumbup.gif smile_thumbup.gif

Indeed, all cars are pretty good/good, but personal choices/criteria made them look different. It's the same case for other products, not just cars.

I'm also same like you, but emphasize on package, specification and features mostly are the certain price. Of course, looks plays the part for me, both exterrior and interrior. Just like any other product (e.g. handphones), some may not be so concern about the features offered, but look on the brand or looks.

Driving experience is another thing, but it needs hand ons, and sometimes/usually, you need time to settle down with the car to get to know/feel more. Thus, it may be not so clear/much to differentiate at first, depending on individuals. But this again also depends very much on the driver choice/preference.

Lastly, I guess most of us would also worry about the hassle, problems, support, parts, etc. Unless our backside prints money and we have many spare cars and/or the support is so good.

Others have given you great insights, it's up to you to make the final decision and think very carefully. Most important is that you're satisfied with your choice. smile_thumbup.gif

QUOTE (lee5079 @ Nov 23 2009, 01:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
* In short, I don't want people to find a chance to tease me few years later with "You see, I have told you not to buy Conti car and you never listen to me". In terms, I wish to have a chance to change people minds about how good a Conti car can be comparing to those over priced "Branded" car with good resell value.

I guess these people cannot be avoided, but that shows their "TRUE" colours. That shows that they're jealous when you bought your car and noy happy you didn't follow their advice, and when you have problem, they find this opportunity to release and give it back to you, so that they feel better and can be proud or have a sense of winning over you and think they're better than you and so on.
True friend will not do that, they will on the other hand, tries to help you out and comfort you when you're in trouble. When you're enjoying the car, they shouldn't feel jealous but to be happy for you. But in reality, it's very rare unless you're a lucky person... so if you have such good friends, do appreciate them and treat them well.
People often do the oppposite, when those bad friend started teasing, they treat these friends better instead as if they're god and look upon them which makes those people become more proud of themselves and think they're right, while the good friends suffer.

blackdolph

Posted 23 November 2009 - 02:45 PM

blackdolph

Road Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 884 posts
Lee, I think we'll wait for some of our Penang oldies to come and reply here and you can meet them up during their monthly Fri night TT. Easier that way.

Maintenance cost is basically just that... cost of 10K km service and also periodic replacement of minor and major wear and tear parts. For me, there is no compromise when it comes to safety and engine parts... like tyres, suspension, brakes etc... A car exterior can look a bit old but these critical parts must be in tip top condition, that's what I mean.

P/S: The Forte looks good eh? Going to have a look now and see whether can test drive.
Kiss my puntang!

lee5079

Posted 23 November 2009 - 03:48 PM

lee5079

Road Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 568 posts
QUOTE (blackdolph @ Nov 23 2009, 02:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Lee, I think we'll wait for some of our Penang oldies to come and reply here and you can meet them up during their monthly Fri night TT. Easier that way.

Maintenance cost is basically just that... cost of 10K km service and also periodic replacement of minor and major wear and tear parts. For me, there is no compromise when it comes to safety and engine parts... like tyres, suspension, brakes etc... A car exterior can look a bit old but these critical parts must be in tip top condition, that's what I mean.

P/S: The Forte looks good eh? Going to have a look now and see whether can test drive.

Thanks for clarify on the maintenance portion. ( Yup, Forte very tempting and cost the same OTR with Sylphy, will visit the show room tomorrow after work )

salmonella

Posted 23 November 2009 - 04:36 PM

salmonella

Taxi Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 288 posts
hmm......i will like to say something...
not sure is relavant, might help you...

I just own a 308 for 3 month, this is my first conti car...
Before that, i have toyota, mitsubishi, proton, perodua.....

Decided to get lion....coz i like it.....the look ....the style....and feeling while driving
it s fantastic car.....safe ....stable....and fun !
i never had this feeling before when i was driving japanese car..

As for maintainence and second hand value....i think is bearable...
more over, i believe after naza taking over peugeot dealership....the service and sales definitely will become better !!

Just ask urself......do u enjoy driving ?
if yes........LIon is the answer....not the Ts or Hs......

Hopefully this will help a bit......

sanook

Posted 23 November 2009 - 04:46 PM

sanook

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 149 posts
You drive the car, not the car drive you.

2012 coming soon! We were warned.