Welcome to Autoworld Forum !

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Close
Photo

Sylphy

• Please log in to reply

Vigilant

Posted 04 October 2011 - 10:58 AM

Vigilant

Road Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 546 posts
QUOTE (Kwar @ Sep 29 2011, 04:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Guys,

I heard bout so-so handling with this car. Unfortunately, my uncle's car lost control when he go thru water puddle on NSE last week! He was driving @ 110km/h or less during that time. The car is still consider new coz less than 6 mnths and the mileage only 7000km +. If not mistaken i heard one case on LPT last yer. One side of the car hv to be replace coz hit the divider! Total repair cost near to RM16k! smile_blackeye.gif

That is aquaplanning due to tyres.

RonKSLim

Posted 04 October 2011 - 11:50 AM

RonKSLim

Advanced

• Members
  • Pip
  • 95 posts
QUOTE (Vigilant @ Oct 4 2011, 10:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That is aquaplanning due to tyres.

Actually more likely for a Ferrari to aquaplan as they usually wear very thin low profile tyres... Good for handling but very bad when hitting puddles of water... Also tendency for people who drive such cars not to change their tyres regularly (low profile tyres wear out very fast and must be changed regularly) and thus thin and "botak" tyres...

tron

Posted 05 October 2011 - 02:33 PM

tron

Advanced

• Members
  • Pip
  • 64 posts
Sorry, but I think it is your uncle which is poor in handling cars, nobdy in the right mind will drive at such high speeds with our horrible road conditions in our country...

feelfree

Posted 06 October 2011 - 12:47 AM

feelfree

Taxi Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 349 posts
Last couple of months, when I was traveling back to KL from JB, I saw a VW Golf GTi collided the divider and the front part was gone. So you are saying Golf GTi handling is bad because it will skid easily on a heavy rain? This kind of situation is very common especially on Karak highway, and damn a lot of luxury cars involved, including Lambo, Ferrari....

karichiken

Posted 06 October 2011 - 01:58 PM

karichiken

Probation

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts
Do you disagree that Sylphy's handling is so so?

I drive a Sylphy and I fully agree that it is very very very so so.

jayraptor

Posted 06 October 2011 - 08:17 PM

jayraptor

Tokyo Drifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,070 posts
QUOTE (Kwar @ Sep 29 2011, 04:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Guys,

I heard bout so-so handling with this car. Unfortunately, my uncle's car lost control when he go thru water puddle on NSE last week! He was driving @ 110km/h or less during that time. The car is still consider new coz less than 6 mnths and the mileage only 7000km +. If not mistaken i heard one case on LPT last yer. One side of the car hv to be replace coz hit the divider! Total repair cost near to RM16k! smile_blackeye.gif

Hi Kwar,

Not the 1st time. Even N brand, the company itself demonstrated how 1 of its owners in treasure hunt organised by the company lost control after going over water puddle on straight road and hit divider. I'm sure most of you could remember that the N company even gave the owner 1 free brand new Sylphy as replacement.

The design of the car itself is bad, narrow at 1695mm yet stand higher than most bigger cars. Its bad exterior design is leading to bad aerodynamics followed by bad suspension setup with narrow straight stance. Even big and heavy proper SUV like Sorento, Santa Fe, Pajero Sport could handle better than the Sylphy.

Wooo.... I see many marketing staffs flocking in to cover up. Don't try to drag Golf and BMW that lost control only at much higher speed or the driver had the traction control turned off while trying to pull some trick. 110km/h on straight wide highway is still within controllable speed. If that car would lose control over tiny water puddle, that car is not qualified to be on the road. Not even old Japanese cars would loose control like that.

Wah Miki Mao trying to assume that the water puddle is deep then bashed Kwar blindly. Fyi, that Treasure Hunt contestant lost control over small water puddle, okay. CONCLUSION is Sylphy failed in handling and passive safety, handles worse than SUV.

sunyatsen

Posted 07 October 2011 - 12:47 PM

sunyatsen

Road Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 757 posts
[quote name='jayraptor' date='Oct 6 2011, 08:17 PM' post='1761921']
That is always tendency to blame the vehicle when one's driving skill is so poor just like the sik siu siu pan toi piu jayraptor How do you know the water puddle is shallow when you mentioned the Treasure Hunter met the accident? You went there to measure kah????? I'm sure you don't even know the Treasure Hunter too. Normally, any organizer will replace a new vehicle out of goodwill. I'm sure you have no business senses too (that's explain why Forte 2.0 sales are so poor) smile_big.gif

FYI I don't assume, people who drives 80km/h or higher in the rain(especially when the vehicle is fitted with ordinary tyres) do not have much sanity - unless one is looking for trouble. rolleyes.gif

feelfree

Posted 07 October 2011 - 09:29 PM

feelfree

Taxi Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 349 posts
QUOTE (karichiken @ Oct 6 2011, 01:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Do you disagree that Sylphy's handling is so so?

I drive a Sylphy and I fully agree that it is very very very so so.

Depend on the vehicle you want to compare, if you compare with the Golf Gti, Renault Megane, Mini Cooper, Audi A1, then I will tell you yes, Sylphy handling is bad, but if you compare with the same class, such as Altis, Forte, Civic..... then I can tell you it is not, it is comparable to those same class vehicles.

jayraptor

Posted 07 October 2011 - 10:19 PM

jayraptor

Tokyo Drifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,070 posts
fyi miki mao, That treasure hunt participant didn't even aware there is water puddle when his Sylphy lost control. Does it tell you that it's shallow. If it's big water puddle like the 1 at Federal highway from PJ to KL on the left lane near ex-EPF building ramp, that is big during raining.

Also, I have tested your crap Sylphy much more than any owners do. Its handling is worst, comparable to or no better than early 80's box cars that can't handle. Feelfree, pitting the Sylphy 2.0L against other C-segment, the Sylphy only dare to go against Civic/Altis/Cruze 1.8L to challlenge yet it lost everything but try to claim 0-100km/h that it could still struggle due to bigger engine. 2.0L vs 1.8L what is this!!

jerryng

Posted 09 October 2011 - 12:04 PM

jerryng

Probation

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts
still fighting over the handling?

when it rains, drive slowly and safely. that's the best.

if any accident happen during rain, i am very sure the driver must be driving very fast.